It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
(male)

MrHarris80 HB User
Wink Tonsillectomy Survivor

Hi all,

I just had my tonsils removed on October 17th making today 5 days post-op. I am a 32 year old male and have been putting off surgery for years for fear or bleeding and pain.

Honestly though it wasn't that bad. I'm on day 5 and I would recommend this surgery (Coblation method) to anyone who has enlarged tonsils cryptic tonsils and sleep apnea like myself.

How I survived (and still surviving) WATER!
Seriously, I cannot stress this enough. I've been drinking water constantly since being in recovery and it means I don't have dry throat/horrible pain. I bought tons of water and two bags of ice chips and it's been a life saver. I always have a glass of cold or luke warm water in front of me. 24 hours a day. Do it!
I also have a warm water humidifier it's been great too. I keep it on all night as the warm air makes breathing a lot easier.
I use a cold pack called the Bed Buddy. It goes in the freezer over night to get cold and i use it as needed. Mostly when I'm eating and that was only for the first 4 days. It also doubles as heating pad which warms in the microwave. My plan was to use this for the ear aches, but I haven't expereinced those yet. As this is day 5 I'm hoping to avoid ear pain all together.

Foods:
Applesauce
hard boiled eggs
chocolate pudding
popsicles
watermelon
grapes
mashed potatoes and gravy
ground beef
today I had chicken fried rice and a cupcake!

So far I've been able to sleep 3 to 4 hours at a time in order to be on schedule with my pain meds (Roxicet)
Waking up though is when the pain is at it's worst because you haven't been hydrating. My suggestion is to keep water next to the bed or couch you're sleeping on and take lots of small sips when you wake up to adjust your throat and not shock it.

It's also important to have a long suffering friend/friends/partner to help nurse you back. Luckily my wife to be has taken off from work to be home with me, but it's still hard on one person so I've had some of my friends come by to give her a break. This is important in everyone's sanity.

Other suggestions for making it through is rent lots of movies. I also listen to lots of NPR programs like "snap judgement" "this american life" and I also play video games. It's important to have something to distract your from the pain/healing process.

I hope this helps. As I've said I'm on day 5 post op so I've still got a ways to go before I'm completely recovered. I'll post my progress later in the week.

Cheers,
MrHarris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #2
(male)

champkal52 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy Survivor

Hey i just had my tonsils out and uvula shorten on the 24th. im on like day 9 and the pain i still pretty bad but not "as bad". how are you doing? beings as you are a little ahead of me in recovery maybe you could throw me some insight as to what i can look forward to. (or not look forward to whichever it maybe haha)

Last edited by champkal52; 11-01-2012 at 02:02 AM.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
(male)

MrHarris80 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy Survivor

Hello,
I'm glad you are feeling better. At this point you'll only get better. I am on day 15 and had my first follow up appointment this morning. My doctor said I am on schedule with healing. I still have a thin layer of the white covering where my tonsils used to be but it doesn't really hurt. If I don't drink enough water before I go to bed I wake up a little scratchy but it doesn't last long. I'd say you will be off of the strong meds in the next day or so. I had my surgery on Oct 17 and I went out to a bar with friends on the 27th and was able to eat wings and drink beer without a problem.
Good luck

Reply Reply