It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
(female)

flyaway12 HB User
pain and infections 2 months post-tonsilectomy

I've been getting infections every month for the past year (colds, sinus infections, tonsilitis). It was recommended that I get a tonsilectomy, due to this, and I had it done the first week of September. However I'm still getting sick frequently - cold in late September, and sinus infection in mid-October. I'm also having throat pain still. It doesn't feel like it did right after the surgery, but it's like a constant pain, similar to what it was like before I had my tonsils out when they were inflamed/swollen all the time. Is this part of normal healing or do I need to pay my doctor a phone call?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: pain and infections 2 months post-tonsilectomy

You may need to do some sinus rinses to rid yourself of any residual sinus infections. They can hang around forever. Won't help though if you have a deviated septum or other blockage as germs can hide in the nooks and crannies. Colds are harder as you really have to police yourself - wash your hands frequently, take something like Alka Seltzer plus for colds the MOMENT you think you may be getting a cold and then every 4 hours for 2 days to ward it off. Do not put your fingers on your face,eyes, etc after shakign hands with someone, using them alot , etc. Wash them first. That's the best way to keep colds at bay.

As for the pain, you'd probably have to ask your surgeon about that. It could be a holdover but after 2 months, I would think that would be gone by now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
(female)

flyaway12 HB User
Re: pain and infections 2 months post-tonsilectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
You may need to do some sinus rinses to rid yourself of any residual sinus infections. They can hang around forever. Won't help though if you have a deviated septum or other blockage as germs can hide in the nooks and crannies. Colds are harder as you really have to police yourself - wash your hands frequently, take something like Alka Seltzer plus for colds the MOMENT you think you may be getting a cold and then every 4 hours for 2 days to ward it off. Do not put your fingers on your face,eyes, etc after shakign hands with someone, using them alot , etc. Wash them first. That's the best way to keep colds at bay.

As for the pain, you'd probably have to ask your surgeon about that. It could be a holdover but after 2 months, I would think that would be gone by now
My surgeon did diagnose me with a deviated septum. He had wanted to do a sinus ct prior to surgery, and correct both (tonsils and nasal passage) at the same time, but I opted to wait. My SO thinks I should go ahead and do the ct. For sinus/allergy issues, I'm currently taking Singular, Claritin, Pataday (for eye allergies) and Astepro. I'm also using an inhaler.

Last edited by flyaway12; 11-13-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Reply Reply