It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
(female)

crosem HB User
Thumping/thudding head/ears waking me during the night

Hi All,

Symptoms running into the 4th month now...

It's Spring here and I've never had allergies as such before but this year I seemed to develop a runny nose (clear, watery) and watery eyes each time I walked outside. We've also had horrendous winds. Around the same time I kept being awoken during the night with a painless throbbing pressure type feeling on both sides of my head sort of around the ear/temple region, not in time with my pulse or heartbeat like someone trying to vacuum my brain out of my skull. Lasted about 10 or so seconds once awake or after standing. Happened repeatedly during the night.

Went overseas to Asia not long after for a week and I don't remember having any symptoms while there.

Came back and symptoms started again. I also developed a sinus infection around this time and oddly enough I had about 4 or 5 days respite the sensation during. The sensation started again once the infection started to clear.

4 doctors, 3 CT scans and 2 visits to an ENT later and I've got no answers apart from the paranasal CT which diagnosed significant septum deviation towards the left, mild mucosal thickening/inflammation in left maxillary and ethmoids and significant thickening and air/fluid in the right maxillary.

The sensation is now (oddly) only really only on my left side (occasionally my right) and is more of a thumping/thudding sound - a million times worse if I eat any dairy or drink alcohol. Seems to be coming from the centre of my head and is in time with every breath I take through the nose and a series of thumps after yawning or turning over. It seems to have lost a lot of its inital pressure. When I am experiencing the sensation, if I touch any part of the left side of my face (eye/cheek/ear) I can hear crackling/broken speaker type sounds. If I hang my head upside down, it sounds like a 747 is flying over it. Sit up or stand for a few minutes and the sensation disappears until I wake again with it a few hours later. I have zero symptoms throughout the day apart from a sensitivity to loud noises and to conversations had on a mobile phone.

I have now been referred for an MRI and am very anxious as the ENT didn't seem to make any connection between my symptoms and the results of my sinus CT. For me it seems logical that they would be related. I am also booked in for a sleep study.

Other tests I've had are hearing which was perfect, nasal endoscopy (no fluid and pretty much perfect ears) and "pristine" blood work.

Last week I worked out if I stuck my finger in my ear, the thumping noise quietened so I've been wearing an earplug in the left ear. I can still feel the thumping but it isn't as loud so I've been managing to get a bit of sleep.

Medications I've taken are pretty much every OTC decongestant, anti-histamine, antibiotics, nasal spray (omnaris & drixine) and nexium. I take a multi-vitamin each day, Vitamin B12, magnesium and a probiotic.

Anyone have any theories? I appreciate any help at this stage and thank you dearly in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply