Upcoming Tonsillectomy -- Advice?
So I like to lurk this site and monitor other people's progress from their tonsillectomy. I finally got my date for surgery, February 15 2013. So I still have a few months to go.. I just wanted to be as prepared as possible so I wanted to know what advice you guys and girls have for me.
By the way, I am a 23 year-old male, and I have large, cryptic tonsils so the reason for surgery is because of the incredibly annoying tonsil stones and the throat pain that comes with every little cold I get (which happens frequently)
So far, from what I have read and heard, I plan to:
- Constantly drink ridiculous amounts of water all day
- Take it easy (Feb 15 is the Friday before my school break so I am off until Feb. 25 which I am hoping will be enough rest time in order to just sit in class silently and take notes)
- Make sure to set my alarm in order to wake up during the night to take my pills
-Perhaps purchase a humidifier, I haven't checked the prices for these yet, but I'm assuming the money to buy it will be well worth the 1-2 weeks use?
Now my questions are:
- Should I be eating soft or rough food? I have heard people doing both, I was thinking soft food for the first few days and after that maybe I'll start eating rougher foods in order to help the scabs/white stuff fall off.
- I live with my girlfriend and she will usually not be there during the day since she goes to a different university and does not have the same break as me. Is it a better idea to stay at my parents' house where my mother will be there 24/7 or is it safe enough to be alone during the day and just have my girlfriend there in the mornings and evenings?
-As for taking the pills, I heard that some people had some problems with bleeding because of them trying to swallow the pills whole. Is this a rare thing or am I better off crushing up the pills in..I would say ice cream but apparently I shouldn't be eating dairy during recovery!
Sorry for the long post :S
I know everyone is different but any advice helps!!
I will definitely be back for more questions and to document my recovery come February!
Last edited by kazo0; 11-22-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Reason: spelling mistakes