It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
(male)

midwest guy HB User
Unhappy Retracted Ear Drum (and PET)

I was just told that I have a retracted ear drum on my left side, but that the chances I would need surgery to graft cartilage onto the bones behind the ear drum was 20%. Is there a chance that the problem could fix itself? Occasionally, if I breath in through my nose too hard or too fast I can feel it move and it sounds like it's full of water. I'm afraid to do any weight lifting or exercise in fear that breathing in or out through my nose will cause something like a perforation. Any advice?

(I also have a patulous eustachian tube in my right ear)

Old 11-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Retracted Ear Drum (and PET)

Retraction of the eardrum typically occurs when the Eustachian tube is swollen shut and cannot equalize the air pressure from inside to match the outside air pressure. That causes the muffled, plugged up, talking under water type symptoms. It is usually related to allergies. In the midwest, there may not have been a killing frost yet to kill all the ragweed and other foliage that produces pollens. Many people get relief from this by taking antihistamines and decongestants on a regular basis. Nasal steroid sprays (RX) can also help in stubborn cases. Allergy symptoms may lessen after a heavy killing frost/freeze, when the pollen count drops. I would try my best to get the Eustachian tube opened up conservatively. Once it opens, all your symptoms should disappear. You might consider seeing an allergist to maximize your chance of success. Even a short course of Prednisone (RX) may help you get past this quickly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
(male)

midwest guy HB User

Now I'm really confused. While in the same room as someone changing the batteries in a smoke detector, I could feel my ear drum popping in and out in the ear with the retracted eardrum whenever the smoke detector would go off. I have no idea what is going on, and I am extremely concerned.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest guy For This Useful Post:
LawryH (11-26-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
(male)

midwest guy HB User

Can anyone explain to me why my ear pops, or "clicks," after every time I talk (and now when I chew). It is really starting to drive me crazy, this is not a comfortable way to live.

Last edited by midwest guy; 12-01-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Certain maneuvers such as yawning, swallowing, etc. opens the Eustachian tube. When it clicks or pops it is opening temporarily. if it is swollen,
It will open and swell shut intermittently. I hope you have tried the antihistamine/decongestant combo by now. The other possible thing that can cause clicking or popping with chewing and talking is TMJ arthritis, which also causes pain in front of the ear with jaw movement.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
(male)

midwest guy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
Certain maneuvers such as yawning, swallowing, etc. opens the Eustachian tube. When it clicks or pops it is opening temporarily. if it is swollen,
It will open and swell shut intermittently. I hope you have tried the antihistamine/decongestant combo by now. The other possible thing that can cause clicking or popping with chewing and talking is TMJ arthritis, which also causes pain in front of the ear with jaw movement.
I believe that the problem with the crackling noises in my right ear whenever I swallow lies in the Eustachian tube. The noises still occur when my mouth is closed. It could be PET, ETD, or something else. That being said, I probably should have been more specific on that last post. The clicking noise I mentioned that is happening after I talk is happening in my left ear, where the retracted ear drum is located. Loud noises, such as the sound of smoke detector, cause me to feel it fluttering back and forth rapidly. It hasn't been excruciating pain, but it wasn't pleasant either. I've read on various sites that this could simply be caused by the retracted ear drum, and that the ear drum being retracted causes it to be more sensitive to sound. I'm hoping that is the case, and that it is not anything more serious.

The crackling has died down a little bit in my right ear, and I have been taking Zyrtec again (after being off of it for a few months), so that may be helping. Still, I am concerned about how the retracted ear drum in my left ear is doing, because the ENT simply said to recheck it in 6 months and never prescribed me any medication or told me to do anything for it.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

Can you please tell me what your symptoms are of your patulous eustachian tube? I think I may have gotten this from an ear infection but I don't have autophony yet. That is why I wanted to hear from you because you said you had it in one ear but you didn't mention any autophony. Thanks.

Reply Reply