It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
(female)

Nightwarrior HB User
peroxide flushing

I have been doing peroxide flushing at least once a day <for about 12 days>. For the last two days I have had uncontrollable sneezing when flooding either with peroxide, or just saline/bicarbonate. I was hoping this was a sign that my sinuses were getting better.

However, yesterday and today I have significantly more yellow mucus, small amounts of clotted blood and what seems strange is little bits of what look like black thread.

I'm not sure whether this means that the solution is getting further into my ethmoid and frontal cavities where the infection is and therefor flushing out more, or if it means my infection is getting worse despite being on antibiotics for last 10-11 days. Anyhow, I am going back to my GP today to see if he thinks I should have more antibiotics or a stronger dose...the pain in my head is still bad (taking amitriptyline 25mg daily for the pain).

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Administrator; 11-26-2012 at 10:36 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Nightwarrior:
Machaon (12-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: peroxide flushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwarrior View Post
I have been doing peroxide flushing at least once a day <for about 12 days>.
I hope that you have experienced at least some improvement from the peroxide flushing.

Quote:
For the last two days I have had uncontrollable sneezing when flooding either with peroxide, or just saline/bicarbonate. I was hoping this was a sign that my sinuses were getting better.
I knew that my sinuses were getting better when I could breath easily through both nostrils without discomfort. Then...... days later, when my sinuses would stuff up because of an allergic reaction, and I would get a yellow/green discharge, it would not lead to another sinus infection.

I used to sneeze during most of the peroxide sinus floodings. Peroxide is very irritating to the sensitive nasal membranes.

Quote:
However, yesterday and today I have significantly more yellow mucus, small amounts of clotted blood and what seems strange is little bits of what look like black thread.
I did not experience anything that looked like black thread. I did notice that, as my sinuses healed and became more resistant to infection, I did not get any blood after a peroxide sinus flooding.

Quote:
I'm not sure whether this means that the solution is getting further into my ethmoid and frontal cavities where the infection is and therefor flushing out more, or if it means my infection is getting worse despite being on antibiotics for last 10-11 days.
Well..... I can't answer your question, but, in my case, the more gunk and junk that came out, the better I got.

Quote:
Anyhow, I am going back to my GP today to see if he thinks I should have more antibiotics or a stronger dose...the pain in my head is still bad (taking amitriptyline 25mg daily for the pain).

Any thoughts?
I am so sorry that you are having to endure such nasty pain.

In my opinion, the peroxide flooding's number one benefit is to protect sinus/nasal membranes from re-infection, while the antibiotics do their job. In my case, after the membranes were totally healed, (no more blood or gunk discharge, and less foaming) they became resistant to reinfection. I have not had another sinus infection in over 14 years.

How are you feeling now? Any improvement? Do you feel like you are making any progress, at all? Is the pain still bad?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2012, 03:04 AM   #3
(female)

Nightwarrior HB User
Re: peroxide flushing

Thanks for your reply. I have now been on clarithromycin (2x500mg) since Monday. With all the antibiotics I have taken, I start to feel a little better on day 2-3 of the antibiotics, then go back down hill again. On Clarithromycin the mucus has cleared significantly ( although I have also been using xylometazoline spray and pseudoephedrine tablets, but have stopped the tablets now, and only using the spray once or twice a day).

I am still flushing out mucus with saline flushes, but much less coming out than last week. I am continuing with peroxide flushing once a day. What I am noticing is more blood..whereas 3 weeks ago, I had very little blood...I think the saline flushing and peroxide flooding is getting deeper into my sinuses. However, I'm not sneezing now during flooding, which is odd!

The pain is also easing up a little ( I'm still taking 25mg amitriptyline and 2x500mg paracetamol when the pain gets worse in the evening).

Overall, I think my symptoms are improving slowly, but don't think the infection has gone completely. I am hoping by monday I will have improved more, otherwise I'll be back to the doctor getting more antibiotics.

Reply Reply