It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
(female)

Distinct1 HB User
Distorted Sense of Smell & Taste

After a severe sinus/cold infection approximately 8 months ago, I experienced problems with my sense of smell. I noticed this problem after my cold had subsided. I couldn't smell anything for a while, then I noticed a smell of exhaust all the time. I first noticed the smell while at work and questioned my co-workers if they could smell it. After they replied no, I discovered I would smell this odor of exhaust everywhere I went. I decided to go to see an ENT doctor who examined me, looked in my sinus cavity and has xrays ordered to see if she was missing anything. She found nothing out of the ordinary. She did subscribe antibiotics. After that visit and dosage of antibiotics the exhaust smell finally left. But to my suprise...I started smelling cigarettes! I don't smoke, my spouse doesn't smoke neither does my co-workers. Well I was off again to a second ENT doctor who examined my sinues and prescribed a steroid and requested for a cat scan. The cat scan came back normal and the steroid worked initially until they wore off and back to the smell of cigarettes again. Oh well.. off to the "3rd" ENT doctor who seemed much more knowledgeable than the first two. This doctor said that I had a deviated septum, a blockage on one side of my nostril and quite a bit of mucus in my sinus cavity. He also ordered and had me to take a smell test at home which costed me a whopping $80, an MRI to rule out anything hidden and had me to pick up the cat scan the 2nd doctor ordered. The MRI revealed spots that I am now scheduled to see a neurologist. The smell test revealed that I was not smelling much at all. I will follow up with my results. If you have experienced this and have input please feel free to share your thoughts. In the mean time I'm praying & trusting God to heal me from this distortion. I forgot to add everything that I smell like food, perfume, my son's diapers etc. smells the same. None of it smell like what it actually is. It's a distintctive odor but not a bad smell. This condition has really puzzled me!

Last edited by Distinct1; 11-29-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: add more information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
(female)

Officer Mom HB User
Re: Distorted Sense of Smell & Taste

i see that this is from a long time ago but i wanted to ask you if you ever got this resolved.. i am experiencing the EXACT same thing that you wrote here.. in fact, i may print out what you wrote to bring to my dr.. i still havent been to any ENT yet bc it only started for me about a month ago.. i was taking all kinds of vitamins and supplements and thought that may be causing the problem.. after i stopped taking them and waited a few weeks i noticed nothing has changed so i made an appt for the ENT.. i had a sinus infection back in early May and havent been sick since then so i really dont know what caused this for me.. but im petrified that it will never return to normal..

any hope for me??

Reply Reply