It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
(female)

pegjk58 HB User
Post Recommended for Stapedectomy

Hi all - I'm a newbie to this forum but wanted to ask others their opinion on stapedectomy procedures. I have been recommended for the procedure and am trying to do my homework on what to expect. It's a bit scary but ultimately I would like to have my hearing back! I'm also curious as to the cost of this procedure and whether or not a good health insurance plan will cover it?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User
Re: Recommended for Stapedectomy

Hello...

I have had both of my ears fixed with stapedectomies and I am so happy that i did. It is really great to have hearing back in surround sound...I only had one of my ears done back in 1993 and thought why bother doing the other when I can hear great out of one..but I did get my other done this year and so happy that I did. I had to have my other ear redone in 2011 due to my incus eroding and causing the piston to dislodge. So i have experienced no hearing and also wore a hearing aid.

My insurance covered it all..and for myself I was out of work for one week. I did have the dizziness for a few days.. honestly if I had to do it again I would. It was well worth in my opinion anyway.

Cindy

The Following User Says Thank You to billcindy1 For This Useful Post:
pegjk58 (12-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
(female)

pegjk58 HB User

Thanks so much - that's very reassuring!! I've been told the surgery won't fix the tinnitus in that ear but I've been living with that for the past several years anyway. Last night while I was at the stove cooking supper, my significant other came to me and said "You didn't hear any of that, did you?" Apparently he had been carrying on a conversation with me and I missed the entire thing! That, combined with my best friend not wanting to ride in a car when I'm driving makes me realize that I do have a "wee" problem..... haha. Your input helps me make the decision to have this done. I'm going back to my ENT on Friday this week and will hopefully schedule it after the holidays....

Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

I also have tinninus and I will say that it did improve when my hearing was restored. they say that you always do have it but because you can hear better that overpowers the tinninus.

I too had the same problem that you are speaking of. People would come up while I had my back to them and speak to me and I heard nothing. One of my best friends sat me down and said it scared her that she could knock on my door and I heard nothing..then walk right in and I still heard nothing. That was when I realized I had a problem. After my hearing was restored I found out something that I never knew...my hubby snored LOL..and you know what..I didn t even mind it. was nice to hear

Cindy

The Following User Says Thank You to billcindy1 For This Useful Post:
pegjk58 (12-18-2012)
Reply Reply

Tags
hearing, otosclerosis, stapedectomy