It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
(female)

frenchmeister HB User
Should I be worried if I have one giant tonsil and persistent sore throats?

As far as I know, my right tonsil's always been huge and my left one normal (it's definitely been that way for over 5 years at least). I asked my doctor about a year ago if there was anything to worry about, and she just said to ignore it unless it's giving me sleep apnea. I've had really bad allergies ever since I was little and get tonsil stones pretty often. I'm 19 and never smoke or drink.

Recently though I've been getting sore throats. They're not unbearable, but they're very persistent. Around Thanksgiving I had a sore throat for about 2 weeks and both my tonsils seemed a little swollen. It also felt like I had pharyngitis or something since it was hard to swallow. I also had a bad taste/smell in my mouth even though I couldn't see any tonsil stones.

Now I'm getting a sore throat again. This time, my right tonsil (the large one) seems to have an extra lump on the end of it, even though the tonsil's not swollen. It doesn't hurt and it's part of the tonsil since I can see blood vessels on the surface.

Should I see a doctor and get a second opinion on whether that tonsil's ok or not? If these sore throats continue I'm thinking I may want to get them removed. Thanks for reading this whole thing.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-14-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
tonsils