It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
(female)

adpace HB Useradpace HB User
Peroxide Flooding

Just read about this on this board. I've been suffering from chronic sinusitis for most of my life (and I'm in my 30's). It's either antibiotics about every other month or being miserable for a couple of months so that I can get "sick enough" that the doctor will actually prescribe something. They really don't like to prescribe antibiotics that often, and quite frankly, I don't like taking them that often but it's better living with the medication than without.

I'd finally decided I was going to see ENT and demand something. . . anything to help!! I saw an ENT a few years back who said I had "mild structural abnormalities, but nothing that should be causing [my] problems". So. . . after seeing Machion's posts about peroxide flooding, I'm willing to give it a try as a last resort before heading off and thinking surgery may be in the future. I think I've tried just about everything else under the sun (ACV, colloidal silver, oil of oregano. . . to name a few).

What I'm hoping is that Machaon will see this post and comment if all these years later he/she still is infection free and that the peroxide has not caused any other side effects. If this is the "miracle" cure I've been waiting for, I'm on board! But I want to know what the risks could be first. I realize you can feel worse before you feel better, so I may have to wait until an opportune time to start (I teach school and really can't afford to feel miserable right at the moment). I also realize you have to be careful about your ears. Any other issues anyone has had?

So Machaon - and anyone else who has tried this, please let me know how it has worked out for you long-term. I think I'm going to try it, but I still want to hear how it is working all these years later!

Last edited by adpace; 12-18-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: misspellings

The following user gives a hug of support to adpace:
Machaon (12-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Peroxide Flooding

Hi adpace!

Sorry to hear that you have had such sinus infection misery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpace View Post
... all these years later he/she still is infection free and that the peroxide has not caused any other side effects.
I've now been totally sinus infection free for well over ten years! Before then, I was getting several sinus infections every year. I am well aware of how miserable and frustrating a sinus infection can make one feel. ENTs just seem interested in treating the symptoms and keeping the patients coming back time, after time, after time!

I have experienced no side effects from the sinus flooding with peroxide. I've also brushed my teeth with undiluted 3% hydrogen peroxide every day for decades. It is great for the gums!

I use it for bug bites and to cleanse small wounds so that they won't infect. Great stuff and it's cheap! That's probably why peroxide is bad-mouthed so often. It's effective and it's cheap!

Quote:
If this is the "miracle" cure I've been waiting for, I'm on board! But I want to know what the risks could be first.
The fact that it cured my chronic, long-time sinus infection misery, doesn't guarantee a cure to anyone else. I feel that my sinus infections were more in my nasal passages, including the turbinates, and not in my sinus cavities, but I can't be sure.

I am also not a doctor, nor have I had any medical training or education. I merely found a way to cure myself of sinus infection misery and decided to freely share my discovery with others.

Anyone interested in the sinus flooding with peroxide should slowly and thoroughly read through the documentation and ONLY flood their sinuses with peroxide under the care of a medical professional.

I hope that you can get rid of your sinus infection misery. I have enormous respect for your profession as a teacher! Teaching your students is difficult enough without having to work through the misery and pain and tiredness that comes with a sinus infection.

If you do decide to try flooding your sinuses with diluted 3% peroxide, under a medical professional's supervision, feel free to ask questions.

By the way... from feedback that I've received on the Internet, women seem more sensitive to the peroxide, and have complained more about pain during the peroxide flooding.

Best of luck and health to you!

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 12-19-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
(female)

Thanks so much for your response! I just wanted to see if you had experienced any negative effects all these years later. I appreciate your help!! I don't mind a little pain if it helps get rid of these things once and for all. So glad you have been infection free for so many years now. I'm going to give it a try soon. Thanks again!!

Old 12-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
(female)

I have one more question for you. Why do you do "upside down" floodings as opposed to a nasal rinse?

I tried using the peroxide for the first time tonight. I'm off work for the next week and have a killer sinus headache, so I figured that now is as good as ever. I did 1 part peroxide to 20 parts water with a good sized "pinch" (probably about 1/4 tsp or so) of baking soda (forgot the salt - oops!!). Anyway, I used the sinus nasal rinse bottle you can get at any pharmacy and just emptied the premixed rinse out and made my own with the peroxide. I used the peroxide as a nasal rinse rather than doing the "upside down flooding" because I figure there is less chance of getting any in my ears this way. But. . . is it less effective? I still have the headache, but I'm hoping a few more days of this will rid me of these sinus problems forever (with an occasional sinus rinse, of course)!

Thankfully the rinse didn't really seem to burn at all. Is that a bad sign that it's not helping or a good sign that I'm not far off from repairing them? And, I find it odd that it didn't burn as my sinuses have been so dry that I actually have blood on the tissue each time I blow my nose (sorry for the gross visual there).

Also, if you think the upside down flooding is more effective, can you explain that to me a little better? I'm still unclear at what angle my head should be. My forehead is flat on the shower floor? Or at an angle? or the top of my head is on the shower floor? What direction are my nostrils pointing? Silly question, I know, but I would prefer to ask a silly question over flooding my ears, too!

OK - I guess that was more than just "one more question", but I appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!!!

Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
I have one more question for you. Why do you do "upside down" floodings as opposed to a nasal rinse?
I think that flooding the nasal passages has a better chance of soaking and seeping into more areas/cavities/tubinates with the diluted peroxide mixture. If the peroxide cannot get to the previously infected and injured sinus/nasal membranes then it can't protect them from re-infection.

In some cases, I would guess, nasal rinse could also work? All I know is what worked to cure my many years of sinus infection misery. I stay with what I know works for me.

Quote:
I used the peroxide as a nasal rinse rather than doing the "upside down flooding" because I figure there is less chance of getting any in my ears this way. But. . . is it less effective?
I never rinsed my sinuses with peroxide or anything else. The only method I have ever used is flooding my sinuses with my head down.

When I first was experimenting, I suffered increased pain and discomfort, and I thought that I had made my sinuses worse. I did not think that the flooding did any good. I felt dumb and depressed!

Quote:
I still have the headache, but I'm hoping a few more days of this will rid me of these sinus problems forever (with an occasional sinus rinse, of course)!
I went thru the misery of repeated sinus infections for many years, so I can really empathize with you. I hope that you can get rid of your sinus misery!

Quote:
Thankfully the rinse didn't really seem to burn at all. Is that a bad sign that it's not helping or a good sign that I'm not far off from repairing them?
Infections leave damaged, open wounds. When the peroxide hits an open wound or sore in the nasal passages or sinus cavities, it can cause some pretty nasty pain, IMHO. I would imagine the pain and discomfort would be much less if the peroxide was in undamaged areas.

Quote:
And, I find it odd that it didn't burn as my sinuses have been so dry that I actually have blood on the tissue each time I blow my nose (sorry for the gross visual there).
There were more bloody discharges during the time that I first started flooding my sinuses with peroxide. As my sinuses improved, and healed, there was less blood, and then finally there was absolutely no blood in the discharge.

Quote:
Also, if you think the upside down flooding is more effective, can you explain that to me a little better? I'm still unclear at what angle my head should be. My forehead is flat on the shower floor? Or at an angle? or the top of my head is on the shower floor? What direction are my nostrils pointing? Silly question, I know, but I would prefer to ask a silly question over flooding my ears, too!
I used two different techniques. At first, I placed my head down in the shower. In effect, I would guess that my nostrils were pointed somewhat up. Eventually, I just pointed my head down into my bathroom sink and then sprayed the diluted 3% peroxide, baking soda and kosher salt down into my nose.

The important thing, to me, was being able to keep some of the liquid within my nasal areas, so that the peroxide mix could slowly seep into the most areas of my nasal passages, turbinates and sinuses.

The complete thread containing detailed documentation was titled:
Infrequent Sinus Flooding with Peroxide & Baking Soda halted my infection nightmare
at the link:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/139765-infrequent-sinus-flooding-peroxide-baking-soda-halted-my-infection-nightmare.html
It is the first thread in the Sinus Problems message board.

Best of luck and health to you in 2013!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 12-29-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
(female)

Thanks again for the response! Well, I'm starting day 3 of this. I did an irrigation once the first day and did 3 yesterday. I just tilted my head a little farther down in the sink. I've discovered that I think a rinse and a flooding are very similar, but maybe it's getting in deeper when I lower head more.

Well, in the irrigations I did yesterday, it burned much more (maybe I'm putting in too much salt - going to decrease that a tad), but I also noticed that I'm now foaming at the nose LOL. Ha! Well, there is foam coming out of the nose. I'm hoping that's a good sign and that the peroxide is getting to something in there. I've actually had less bloody gunk since starting this, but just as much brown stuff coming out. I'm more stuffy now on the side that I thought my infection was originating from. I've read that lots of people experience a cold-like or stuffy feeling from doing this, and I'm hoping that means it's getting to the source of the problem.

I'm still using 1 part peroxide to 20 parts water. Given the stuffy feeling I have, should I continue for a couple more days? At what point should I lay off and allow that sinus some time so I don't continue to feel stuffy. At any rate, I'm hopeful this is going to work, I'm just having difficult trying to decide where the line is with regards to how often I should do it. I don't mind the stuffy feeling if I know it's going to lead to better sinuses in the long run. Just trying to figure out how often to do this and when it might start to feel better.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Well, in the irrigations I did yesterday, it burned much more (maybe I'm putting in too much salt - going to decrease that a tad), but I also noticed that I'm now foaming at the nose LOL. Ha! Well, there is foam coming out of the nose. I'm hoping that's a good sign and that the peroxide is getting to something in there.
You might be using too strong a mix of peroxide.

The foam could be a good sign. It could mean that the peroxide is encountering sores or wounds, caused by previous, or ongoing infection.

Quote:
I've actually had less bloody gunk since starting this, but just as much brown stuff coming out.
When I did my peroxide floodings, I noticed that, with subsequent floodings, my discharge got cleaner and less gunky and bloody, and a lot less foam! During my 5th day of peroxide floodings, my sinuses opened up weren't stuffy, and there was much less sinus discomfort or pain.

Quote:
I'm still using 1 part peroxide to 20 parts water. Given the stuffy feeling I have, should I continue for a couple more days? At what point should I lay off and allow that sinus some time so I don't continue to feel stuffy.
You are a persistent and gutsy individual. Those are good qualities to have! Many, who read about flooding their sinuses with peroxide, baking soda and salt, and the possible pain and discomfort, run the other way!

You might be using too strong a mix of peroxide.

I started reducing, or skipping, the peroxide sinus floodings the sixth day. Just like in your situation right now, I did not know what was going on inside my nasal passages. I did know that, when I used to get another, repeat infection that my sinuses would continue to get more stuffed, and more uncomfortable, and I would feel drained and as a cold was coming on. But, back then, during the 5th day, my sinuses were feeling much better. That just was not the case when I was getting another damn infection!

If your sinuses continue to be stuffy and uncomfortable, then, either there is an ongoing sinus infection, or allergic reaction, or you have a cold, or you are using too strong a dose of peroxide, or.... ?

Quote:
At any rate, I'm hopeful this is going to work, I'm just having difficult trying to decide where the line is with regards to how often I should do it. I don't mind the stuffy feeling if I know it's going to lead to better sinuses in the long run. Just trying to figure out how often to do this and when it might start to feel better.
I really think that the reason why flooding the sinuses with peroxide helps to cure chronic sinus infection, is because it protects previously infected, damaged membranes until they have a chance to heal. Once healed, those damaged, injured membranes have less chance to re-infect.

Buts...... flooding the sinuses with peroxide, baking soda and salt is a crapshoot. There are many questions like: Could the sinus discomfort be caused by allergies, or a cold, and not infection? Is the peroxide able to get to the injured membranes? Is the infection in one or more of the harder-to-reach sinus cavities? Is the infection(s) limited just to the easier-to-reach turbinates and nasal passages?

The following represents notes that I took when I was first, desperately trying to treat another, repeated sinus infection by flooding my sinuses with 3% hydrogen peroxide. At that time, I was in such misery and frustration, that I was willing to try anything.

I just got off ten days of Amoxicillin for a sinus infection.

My notes were as follows:
  • "Day 1: 9:10pm Sinus pressure, right side, DAMN! Right sinus closed. 1 part peroxide to 10 parts water/baking soda treatment tonight. 2 irrigations. 1st one very bloody. 10 parts water to 1 part peroxide. Added a 3rd flooding no foam, no blood"
  • "Day 2: 12:40pm, feel better. did a 4th flooding. Added double pinch of baking soda."
  • "Day 2: nighttime: Damn. Right sinus closed ALL NIGHT!"
  • "Day 3: 9am. feel better. 1pm Did another 1 part peroxide to 10 parts water, with baking soda flooding. Lots of foam. Sinuses more open after treatment. 4:53pm feel good all day. Did 2nd peroxide/baking soda flooding. Foamed quite a bit. Did not blow nose for 8 minutes after flooding. Seemed to help clean out gunk. Sinuses feel more open"
  • "Day 4: 7:53am. morning. Right sinus closed. 10:44am. did another peroxide/baking soda flooding. 2:07pm. 2nd peroxide/baking soda flooding, lots of foam, did 3rd peroxide/baking soda flooding. Added pinch of salt. 1 part peroxide to 20 parts water. Lots of foam"
  • "Day 5: 6am. Sinus better in morning. more open. 7:31am Sinus VERY GOOD!!! Did another peroxide with two pinches of baking soda and added one pinch of salt. 1 part Peroxide to 20 parts water. Foamed but not as much. 3pm. Sinuses open today. 1st day open! nighttime-- sinus a bit stuffy again"
  • "Day 6: 7:52am. Sinus stuffy. No treatments today"
  • "Day 7: Sinus OK. 1pm another peroxide/one pinch baking soda/one pinch salt, 1 part peroxide to 20 parts water, flooding. 6:05pm - Sinuses feel GREAT!!!"
  • "Day 8: sinus little stuffy. No floodings today."
  • "Day 9: no floodings today"
  • "Day 10: sinus feels great. Did an flooding, peroxide/one pinch baking soda/one pinch salt. 1 part peroxide to 20 parts water. Foamed again. Sinus discharge really clean"
  • "Day 11: sinuses good."
  • "Day 12: no floodings"
  • "Day 13: 1 part peroxide to 20 parts water/one pinch baking soda/one pinch salt - discharge is red. slight foam."
  • "Day 14-20 no floodings"
  • "Day 21: 1 part peroxide to 20 parts water/one pinch baking soda/one pinch salt flooding"
  • "Day 22-27 no floodings"
  • "Day 28 Two peroxide floodings, (1 part peroxide to 15 parts water)/baking soda/salt floodings."
  • "next 87 days --- no floodings."
  • "next day, day 88, sinus stuffy for 3rd day in a row (sinuses closing up). Slight Asthma. One peroxide/baking soda/salt flooding."

Are these notes of any help?

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 01-01-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
(female)

Machaon,

I think you are a saint!! Well, I'm feeling even better today. I only flooded my sinuses once yesterday because I spent the day cleaning house and I knew I wouldn't be able to get it all done if I had that yucky cold feeling that I get after flooding. I did it last night and it still burned some, but it's not too bad. I'm not quite ready to decrease the amount of peroxide yet, from all the posts I've read (in response to your posts) it seems like I am responding about the same way that most do, so I'm not worried at this point.

And, I flooded my sinuses this morning and only felt stuffy for a few minutes after!! It seems that it is getting better. I think it may still be a bit early to tell if this is truly going to work for me, but I'm hopeful and things look good so far. I don't usually have any (or very little) gunk come out now. I'm continuing with the floodings at the moment only because I'm still getting some gunk when I blow my nose and I still cough some junk up (which I think has drained from my sinuses).

I also still have that runny/icky nose feeling that you get with a cold. Don't know if that is from the peroxide or from what's left of the sinus infection I think that I have (or maybe had if this is working). Still, I feel better than I have in weeks. The sinus headache is all but gone and I feel clearer each day. I'm so thankful you decided to post your experiences. So yes, your notes are very helpful. Thank you!!

And, am I reading correctly that you had no issues at all from day 28 until day 88. And then you only had to do one flooding to feel better? How awesome is that? I'm dreaming this will happen for me, too! A couple floodings every few months to keep a sinus infection away would be totally worth it. Hopefully I'm there soon!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to adpace:
Machaon (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Machaon,

I think you are a saint!!
It's now 10:20am on the first day of 2013. My heart medications are kicking in, as normal, and draining my energy and causing some mild depression. It's hard to feel happy when one is sooooo drained.

But..... It's amazing what a nice remark, like you just made, can do to lift one's spirits and provide energy! Thanks!

Quote:
Well, I'm feeling even better today. I only flooded my sinuses once yesterday because I spent the day cleaning house and I knew I wouldn't be able to get it all done if I had that yucky cold feeling that I get after flooding.
I am glad that you are feeling better! Buts...... spending the day cleaning house, as a reward for enduring the peroxide flooding?! You are being too kind to yourself!

Quote:
I did it last night and it still burned some, but it's not too bad. I'm not quite ready to decrease the amount of peroxide yet, from all the posts I've read (in response to your posts) it seems like I am responding about the same way that most do, so I'm not worried at this point.
Sometimes we can learn so much more from reading the experiences of others, than we can from doctors and so-called specialists. Reading the successes of others, here on HealthBoards, has really helped me find solutions for my own health problems.

I haven't done another peroxide flooding in years. In fact, I've haven't had any major problems with my sinuses in years, though I have to avoid allergens in foods and in my environment, and have to take Fluticasone Propionate nasal spray once a day.

As my sinuses healed, the peroxide burned much less, or not at all.

Quote:
And, I flooded my sinuses this morning and only felt stuffy for a few minutes after!! It seems that it is getting better.
Good signs! It's similar to what I experienced as my sinuses got better.

Quote:
I think it may still be a bit early to tell if this is truly going to work for me, but I'm hopeful and things look good so far.
You are experiencing exciting results! I sit here, though, wondering if you are going to experience "lasting" positive results, and if the peroxide floodings are reaching all damaged membranes, or if the peroxide floodings are just helping to clean out irritating gunk?

Just a small amount of gunk, or irritant, within the sinuses, can cause someone to feel miserable, and feel like they have a cold or sinus infection.

Buts..... so far, the improvements sure sound promising, don't they!?

Quote:
I don't usually have any (or very little) gunk come out now. I'm continuing with the floodings at the moment only because I'm still getting some gunk when I blow my nose and I still cough some junk up (which I think has drained from my sinuses).
I kept doing my sinus floodings until the discharge was totally clear and clean. At that point I reduced the frequency of the floodings, until I decided to stop them altogether, and see what would happen. However..... the moment my sinuses would act up again, I would do another sinus flooding, or two, as insurance.

Quote:
I also still have that runny/icky nose feeling that you get with a cold. Don't know if that is from the peroxide or from what's left of the sinus infection I think that I have (or maybe had if this is working).
Peroxide can be very irritating to the sinus membranes and can cause feelings of getting a cold and malaise, IMHO.

I don't think that 3% diluted peroxide will kill most infections. It is more of an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal/anti-viral disinfectant than it is anti-infection. But, I am not sure.

Quote:
Still, I feel better than I have in weeks. The sinus headache is all but gone and I feel clearer each day.
That is wonderful news! Teaching, while you had a headache and felt ucky and drained, must have been miserable for you and made the difficult job of teaching that much more difficult!

Quote:
I'm so thankful you decided to post your experiences. So yes, your notes are very helpful. Thank you!!
My pleasure! I appreciate your followup posts. Your posts not only keep me informed, but also may be of help to many other chronic sinus-infection sufferers, who are also looking for a way out of their sinus misery. So...... your efforts, by starting this thread, and continuing to post, may be helping others who are many thousands of miles away, and have not found any relief from their chronic sinus infection misery.

Quote:
And, am I reading correctly that you had no issues at all from day 28 until day 88. And then you only had to do one flooding to feel better?
For the first year, or two, after my chronic sinus infection problems seemed to be cured, I would do an infrequent sinus flooding any time my sinuses started to ache or get stuffy. Then I would refrain from doing any floodings to see if my sinus condition would get worse, indicating another infection, or if they would get better. After decades of constant sinus infections, my chronic sinus infection problems were gone! My sinuses just did not infection anymore! My theory was that the peroxide allowed my sinus/nasal/turbinate membranes to heal, by keeping harmful bacteria away from damaged areas.

Quote:
How awesome is that? I'm dreaming this will happen for me, too! A couple floodings every few months to keep a sinus infection away would be totally worth it. Hopefully I'm there soon!!!
It's awesome!

I'm just hoping that you continue to experience improvements. At the least, you may have found a method that allows you to feel much better. Let's hope that the peroxide floodings work as well for you as they did for me.

Take care!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 01-01-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
(female)

I'm sorry you are not feeling well. I suffered from Chronic Fatigue Immune Deficiency Syndrome (CFIDS) for many years (and I have a congenital heart problem as well), so I completely understand how awful it can be when you feel so bad from a physical standpoint. I hope today you are feeling much better!

I totally agree about reading others' experiences. I know that has helped me with so many things. I am very thankful for those like you who are willing to share what has worked for them, and I'm hoping that a few weeks from now, I can count myself as a success story for the peroxide floodings and that this will help others, too!

Well, I had a bit of a setback yesterday, though. I did an irrigation yesterday morning and a few hours later my throat was so sore on one side - it almost felt like I had strep throat. I felt terrible for the whole day and then decided to do another irrigation last night. Within an hour of that second irrigation, my throat felt so much better (even though the H202 doesn't get into the throat. . .). I also coughed up a lot more brown and yellow yucky stuff yesterday than I have since I started this.

Needless to say, I was getting discouraged that maybe this isn't working for me after all. Then, I woke up today and did another irrigation and have felt a bit better. I'm wondering if the irrigations are getting deeper into my sinuses now and that's maybe what caused the sore throat and more gunk. Maybe it cleared enough that the infected stuff was flowing down my throat creating irritation. So, I'm still holding out hope that I just need to keep this up a bit longer.

I also read online today of someone spraying apple cider vinegar into their sinus cavities to follow up after a peroxide irrigation. Wonder if that would help? Some have said ACV is helpful in ridding themselves of infection, and I've tried drinking it in the past to no avail. Not sure I want to mix the 2 remedies, though. Don't know what kind of issues it could create.

I'm thinking of also flipping my head backwards to irrigate - read of someone doing that today, too, and getting out a bunch of stuff in those upper sinus cavities. I'm a little nervous about water in the ears, so I may just try that with a saline solution only and not the peroxide just to see how it goes. I don't know where my infections are originating from, but I'd sure like to make sure I get all the bad stuff out.

All of the discharge from the irrigation comes out clear now (sometimes it still looks a little frothy though), although I tend to cough up yellow stuff during/after irrigations. So. . . I'm not sure what that means. I'll update in a few days and we'll see how it goes!

Again, I really hope you feel better today!

Old 01-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
(female)

I just thought I would give an update for anyone who might be following this post as they consider peroxide flooding.

Well, about 6 days into the irrigations, I realized that my lower sinuses seemed quite clear. Most everything coming out after I did this was clear. I seemed to get better for a few days and then I got worse and began to feel a little worse each day. I finally decided that I definitely had an infection and I believe my infection was in the upper sinus cavities, which is why I wasn't getting much better.

I found another site online where someone has claimed to have a technique for rinsing those upper sinuses (basically you either hang your head backwards off a bed or start with your head tilted back in the shower and pour the rinse in - for those interested, try googling "flip turn sinus flush"). I decided to try it with just plain saline as I was concerned about getting peroxide in my ears.

The first time I tried it, lots of yucky junk came out (brown and some of it bloody, plus yellow stuff as well) just like when I first started the irrigations with peroxide. After a few times trying that and feeling confident I could do it without getting water into my ears, I tried it with the peroxide. I did this a few times and I think it may have been helping, but after a couple more days the blood in my mucus was increasing. I decided that I might be overdoing it with the peroxide and that I should give my sinuses a break and just do saline.

I've been doing these reverse rinses with just saline (but a rather strong solution made at home - not the bought mixes - as was recommended on by the other person) 1-2 times per day. After 3 1/2 weeks of misery (I only started rinsing (peroxide or otherwise) after 2 weeks of feeling awful, I decided to go to the doctor. They gave me an antibiotic and I am feeling much better but I still have quite a bit of blood in my mucus. However, the yellow and darker mucus has GREATLY decreased. I think if I had just continued the saline flushes with the new technique a little longer, I might not have needed the antibiotic as I was starting to feel just a bit better the day after I finally made an appointment but before I started the antibiotics. But I had felt badly for so long, I decided to go the antibiotic route this time.

My thought is that I should have started with the new technique the very first day I started the peroxide flushings and I might have never needed the antibiotic. But. . . I had already irritated my sinuses with it so much, I didn't want to continue.

I'm thinking I may give my sinuses some time to heal with the antibiotic, a little break from both the saline and the peroxide and then start again working to flush those upper sinuses. I'm still hopeful that this will help eliminate my infections in the long run, but with all the blood I'm blowing out at the moment, I don't want to irritate it more right now. I haven't decided yet whether I will give it a week and try the flushing again or if I will just wait until the next time I feel an infection "coming on" and just try to get it early. Either way, I will try to come back in a few months or as there are updates and give some feedback as to how that is working. Maybe this could even be a cure for those suffering from infections in the upper cavities if the proper technique for flushing is used.

As a side note, I have at times felt like a little bit of liquid got into one of my ears - mostly from blowing my nose too hard after the flush rather than from being upside down. Thankfully, it seems to drain out within an hour or so if I just go about my day. As long as you don't have any blockage or inflammation in the ear tubes, it would seem that anything you accidentally get in there should drain if your specific physiology cooperates. This has eased my mind about getting fluid in my ears.

In any case, still hopeful this could end my issues given some time. . .

Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi adpace!

It's been about two weeks. Just wondering how you are doing? Any progress, improvements, changes, findings?

I discovered the cure for my chronic sinus infections, just one infection too late. My last sinus infection, back about 12 years ago, made me chemically sensitive. Since then, I have significant reactions to minuscule levels of things that did not use to cause in any nasty problems.

I hope that you are experiencing at least a little improvement in your sinus problems!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 01-28-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
(female)

Machaon,

Thanks for checking up on me! Sorry it took me so long to answer. I've been fighting PND ever since that last infection and I'm just exhausted. I actually got MUCH better while on the antibiotics, but the PND never went away (which is actually unusual for me - I don't usually have PND unless I am feeling sick like I have an infection). My mucus became completely clear, but has still been rather thick. Only days after I finished my round of antibiotics, my mucous began to turn a little yellow again and has been that way ever since. I really want to try the peroxide rinse with the "flip-turn" method, but I haven't. I've been concerned that I will feel worse again before I feel better and I just can't have that kind of down time right now with school in session. I'm definitely going to give it a try either over Spring Break or over the summer. I'm also considering a visit to my ENT and looking into balloon sinuplasty which is significantly less invasive than regular sinus surgery. I'm pretty sure my infections are originating in one of my frontal sinuses and I just don't know if the peroxide rinse alone will be able to get to it. Maybe between the two, though, I can get some relief! I will try to keep this thread updated as I go, though.

Reply Reply