HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Ear, Nose & Throat (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/ear-nose-throat/)
-   -   why is my nose popping? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/ear-nose-throat/934392-why-my-nose-popping.html)

coyote0204 01-07-2013 06:43 PM

why is my nose popping?

When I exercise, get nervous, or turn my head just right my nose lets out popping noises as if there are air bubbles trying to get out. It's been doing this for two years or more. I have zero congestion. My nose will also begin to sting when I am sitting still watching tv, driving or sitting at computer. It also hurts a little when I breathe in. What reasons would a nose pop and have burning sensations? I was seen by two ENTs who found nothing wrong with my sinuses though a CT scan and probing.

I also have strange issues with pressure headaches in the back of my head and a burning left eye when I sit still. Nerve issue? Could the nose issue be related to my pressure headaches and burning eye?

I was seen by a rough chiropractor who actually gave me whiplash (I went through 2 months of physical therapy to correct daily migraines caused by him) before all of this started. Not sure if these things are related.

quincy 01-08-2013 01:55 PM

Re: why is my nose popping?

I've had some of the sme problems periodically. But for sure posture and muscle pressure on nerves can cause problems with vision, breathing, headaches...etc.

It's unfortunate you've been through such an experience with the chiropractor.

Interestingly, I went through a spray and stretch process (neurologist) that helped until all the muscles seized and the pain I suffered was finally relieved by a chiropractor. Not gone, but at least without the extreme continual pain and reseizing of the muscles.
Basically...a rebound reaction.
But I did suffer from neck problems and multiple issues throughout my years....I was elated to have some treatment that did help for a while (spray and stretch).

Have you had any x-rays or MRI done of your neck?

Do you have allergies?

Do you possibly have TMJ?...

I have other questions, but waiting for some answers.
q

coyote0204 01-08-2013 02:31 PM

thanks for your reply! Well I have definitely logged a TON of hours in front of a computer. I know I have poor posture and have tried to be aware of how I'm sitting. And the popping started while I was sitting at my desk one day. I kept thinking it was the wall settling behind me. But nooo. I later realized it was my nose!

I've had x-rays of my neck and back by an orthopedic doctor. He's the one that told me I had whiplash and c1-c2 dysfunction. I had never been injured so I assume it was a direct cause of the first chiropractor. I then went though two months of therapy. My daily migraines on the left side of my head went away but the burning sensations remained. Interestingly enough the burning was at an all time high during therapy. That makes me think it is definitely a muscle, joint or nerve issue of some sort. Just like it was getting further irritated by therapy but didn't quite get fixed.

Interesting about the spray and stretch therapy. I've never heard of that. I do feel like I have some muscle issues still. My upper back and neck are almost always sore and stiff feeling. I'm only 30 but in the mornings I feel like an old lady. Though the day the achier my neck is the worse the burning, popping and dull headache is. And it's ALWAYS worse when I'm sitting. Once I get up and move around it's alleviated.

I don't believe I have allergies... Only because the symptoms seem to be on only one side of my head. I never have a runny nose or itchy eyes. An ENT thought I had an allergy but the allergy meds he gave me did nothing. I was allergy tested twice and nothing turned up.

I've also been checked for TMJ and supposedly don't have it.

I keep wondering if I need to just find a really good chiropractor again? I made an appt with one in the morning. He claims he won't work on me unless he believes it is something chiropractic can fix. We will see...

coyote0204 01-08-2013 02:33 PM

thanks for your reply! Well I have definitely logged a TON of hours in front of a computer. I know I have poor posture and have tried to be aware of how I'm sitting. And the popping started while I was sitting at my desk one day. I kept thinking it was the wall settling behind me. But nooo. I later realized it was my nose!

I've had x-rays of my neck and back by an orthopedic doctor. He's the one that told me I had whiplash and c1-c2 dysfunction. I had never been injured so I assume it was a direct cause of the first chiropractor. I then went though two months of therapy. My daily migraines on the left side of my head went away but the burning sensations remained. Interestingly enough the burning was at an all time high during therapy. That makes me think it is definitely a muscle, joint or nerve issue of some sort. Just like it was getting further irritated by therapy but didn't quite get fixed.

Interesting about the spray and stretch therapy. I've never heard of that. I do feel like I have some muscle issues still. My upper back and neck are almost always sore and stiff feeling. I'm only 30 but in the mornings I feel like an old lady. Though the day the achier my neck is the worse the burning, popping and dull headache is. And it's ALWAYS worse when I'm sitting. Once I get up and move around it's alleviated.

I don't believe I have allergies... Only because the symptoms seem to be on only one side of my head. I never have a runny nose or itchy eyes. An ENT thought I had an allergy but the allergy meds he gave me did nothing. I was allergy tested twice and nothing turned up.

I've also been checked for TMJ and supposedly don't have it.

I keep wondering if I need to just find a really good chiropractor again? I made an appt with one in the morning. He claims he won't work on me unless he believes it is something chiropractic can fix. We will see...

quincy 01-09-2013 12:36 PM

Hi...sorry for the late reply.

It's difficult to say if you had injury caused by the chiropractor. Why did you see him in the first place?

I wouldn't exclude the care that a chiropractor can give, and not all will do all adjustments. It does, however, depend on your needs and where your pain is, etc. That's where research and discussion comes into play. Most chiropractors will use what's called an adjuster which gives a more gentle "manipulation". Did nothing for me, but my friend will only have that and she says it helps.

How did your appointment go with the new chiro?

q

coyote0204 01-09-2013 01:06 PM

True about injury caused by chiropractor. I think whatever was going on with me (poor posture, too many hours at computer) was exasperated by the chiro. But I did have whiplash and since no injuries that's the only thing I can think of. My neck was in a lot of pain after first week of seeing him and that when the migraines started. Never hardly had a headache in my life before that.

Interesting chiropractic visit today... I think I actually found a good one. He said just from looking at me that my left shoulder is completely hunched forward and about an inch higher than my other. No one has every examined my shoulders before. A muscle in the shoulder attaches directly to the c1-c2 area at the base of the skull. And those muscles in the neck are direct lines to the eyes and nose. He may have finally connected all the dots. He took x-rays to make sure I don't have any arthritis in my shoulder before he begins working on it. That will determine how aggressive treatment can be. I was told to ice and heat my shoulder twice a day. Tomorrow morning I find out what kind of shape my shoulder is in. I do have pains in it from time to time but never thought much of it. Never dreamed it was the source of my problem.

Have you ever had your shoulders checked?

coyote0204 01-09-2013 01:08 PM

ugh this keeps posting everything I say twice... sorry!

quincy 01-09-2013 01:32 PM

Yes, my whole upper body is skewed since I was a kid and had that neck injury. I also have mild scoliosis and I had lung surgery in 1975 when I was 21. I wouldn't say I have bad posture, but I do hair and was in sign language interpreting for a while...I have to say that repetative strain injury exacerbated everything. Actually, I've never had a day without discomfort/pain...but I do admit I can crack my own neck and get relief for a while.

It's a complicated situation, but now that I'm not interpreting, things have improved a lot.

Everything is connected..lol. One injury has us compensating with different muscles and putting more strain in an area that isn't used to carrying it. You will heal eventually, but will have that area more weak. But that doesn't mean you cannot maintain a strong body in general. I have tons of changes I need to make as I'm aging....it seems endless, but I have to make the decisions to start and continue.
I've purchased books that are very helpful which I'll list later...awesome at to see how a + B + ..... = .....

It's great you have a good chiro. I hope the heat/ice method will help ease some of your discomfort.

I look forward to hearing the process.

I do suggest you create a list of questions and ask how you can improve your seating position at the computer, how you drive, how you walk, etc.

There are also different exercises, yoga, stretching, strength training...etc that can be a part of your routine.

I so encourage you to make the efforts for a lifetime of better functioning. It's overwhelming at times, but it's only worth what we put in (trust me on this...I'd rather reach for an aspirin or tylenol or see the chiro than do the work because everything I do is so chaotic. And while I've made lots of changes (sleeping hugging a pillow, how I sit watching TV, how I drive...etc...increasing strength and mobility is really the key for actually moving).

I'll get the names of the books tonight to show you what I mean about the connection of pain, etc

q