It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
(female)

racer1150 HB User
clogged tube/chunky pus above tonsil.

for about 2 weeks i have had a muffled left ear, with sounds of fluid. used patonase nose spray which in the past has cleared up in a couple of days. went to my gen physician 4days ago for non related regular check up, he said there was fluid behind the eardrum. no pain though. gave some rescon said it may take a couple of weeks to clear. WELL....today i noticed in the back of my throat above the tonsil, kind of hidden was what appeared to be a pus pocket, so i got a popsicle stick to ;ightly press against and out came white chunky stuff, not liquid and it smelled awful, so i mashed it again and some more came out, that was 1st thing this morning.no more has appeared. ive used my nasal spray, head over hot water, heat pad and lightly tried to hold nose and pop, still a stopped ear.....anybody ever had this happen?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: clogged tube/chunky pus above tonsil.

hi..yes, those are tonsiliths or tonsil stones.

They're basically a sloughing from the inside of the tonsils of mucus, food, dead cells that form in pockets of the tonsils. If there's continual inflammation or infection, there can be more of it produced. Sometimes it hardens or calcifies and can require surgery if it becomes too large and exacerbates an infection itself.

My opinion, if you have recurring tonsilitis or infection or inflammation, push to have them removed. You'll probably have them forever...unfortunately.

There's lots of information on this site on tonsiliths and tonsil stones...do the search and you'll get tons of ways to clean them, possibly prevent them, etc.

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
(female)

racer1150 HB User

thanks for the reply...they werent hard, reminded me of popping a zit, with pressure it oozed out. havent had any tonsilitis since my 20's, am now 49.

Last edited by racer1150; 01-20-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi..you're welcome.

Since you might be prone to them at this age, do the search on here and find out how others clean them. I do mine once daily...never hard stuff, rarely formed, mostly "sludge"...and it ticks me off that it's part of my daily routine after brushing in the morning.

sigh..lol.

q

Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
(female)

racer1150 HB User

went to ent...said this was tonsil stones, something could have been trapped, may never have any more or may not realize if i do get again. as far as the ear, fluid behind the drum...said give it some time try to hold nose and pop...hate that! some saline for the nose. could take months to clear out. said it was clear fluid. said ear drum looked good.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good you went to the ENT. I suspect you'll be more prone to them, especially since you're having issues with your ear/sinuses.

I'd suggest to try Sudafed (not the high dosage stuff, however) to see if that can help, and a sinus rinse such as the NeilMed squirt bottle that you mix yourself.

The popping exercise would be eustachian tube related....both what I suggested can help.

Keep an eye on your tonsils and maybe invest in a water pik (if you have room in your bathroom)...I read about others who use that to clear out tonsils.

Feel better soon.

q

Reply Reply