It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
(male)

dotdotdot HB User
I had a fairly bad sore throat about 3 weeks ago. I noticed deep down on my tonsil that there were about 3 smaller bumps and my tonsil just looks different than the other one. The sore throat has gone away, but the lumps looked the same.

I saw my GP yesterday, but he couldnt see them. I realized after I got home it was because they were deeper down in my throat.

My throat doesn't hurt...and I had a full physical with no other problems/symptoms (swollen glands, etc).

They are not white bumps or tonsil stones...just smaller, skin colored bumps.

Here is a link to the photo of them:

http://tinypic.com/r/51rbjk/6

Please help if you have any info!

Thanks

Last edited by dotdotdot; 01-20-2013 at 08:18 AM.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Lumps on one tonsil (not white or stones)

Hi...It does look like your tonsil has something minor going on, but if you're not having problems, it could be that it'll take a while for it to go back to normal. Did you check out that area during the sore throat phase?

Do you tend to get tonsil stones? and have you had tonsilitis in the past?

You could try gargling with salt water twice a day after you brush your teeth and see if that helps.

Tonsils function continually, lots of stuff "out there" that we're exposed to. I would say that if it doesn't change or gets worse in a few weeks, then maybe ask your doc to refer you to an ENT if you're still concerned.

It's also possible that some foods that are rough like corn chips, etc...they can cause some irritation and that's a reaction.

If your sinuses are reactive during this time as well, you could also consider to use a sinus rinse or neti pot. I use the NeilMed squeeze bottle with the packets that I mix with water.

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
(male)

dotdotdot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Hi...It does look like your tonsil has something minor going on, but if you're not having problems, it could be that it'll take a while for it to go back to normal. Did you check out that area during the sore throat phase?

Do you tend to get tonsil stones? and have you had tonsilitis in the past?

You could try gargling with salt water twice a day after you brush your teeth and see if that helps.

Tonsils function continually, lots of stuff "out there" that we're exposed to. I would say that if it doesn't change or gets worse in a few weeks, then maybe ask your doc to refer you to an ENT if you're still concerned.

It's also possible that some foods that are rough like corn chips, etc...they can cause some irritation and that's a reaction.

If your sinuses are reactive during this time as well, you could also consider to use a sinus rinse or neti pot. I use the NeilMed squeeze bottle with the packets that I mix with water.

q
Thanks Quincy!
Ya, at this point I'm not having problems.
When I first noticed this about 2-3 weeks ago I did have a sore throat and somewhat swollen tonsils.

I do not tend to get tonsil stones that I have ever noticed, and whenever I get sick I tend to get swollen tonsils. I have had tonsillitis (a horrible case of it last year) and strep before.
I don't know if this makes any difference, but about 2 days after I got the sore throat I had to have a tooth removed, and I also ended up getting a large viral sore that is at the end of it's life right now...not sure if that could cause anything in my tonsils.

Thanks again for the help!
I think I am just paranoid because I can't find any info on this and all the pictures I see are bumps that are white...no regular skin colored bumps like these.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...don't forget that it doesn't necessarily mean that there's something inside because it's white. It might be white from pressing outward on an area that has very, very thin skin/tissue.

The tooth you had removed was a wisdom tooth or at the back of that area? Is it now fully healed?

Viral sore, as in herpes simplex in your mouth or outside?

q

Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
(male)

dotdotdot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Hi...don't forget that it doesn't necessarily mean that there's something inside because it's white. It might be white from pressing outward on an area that has very, very thin skin/tissue.

The tooth you had removed was a wisdom tooth or at the back of that area? Is it now fully healed?

Viral sore, as in herpes simplex in your mouth or outside?

q
Ya...these aren't white though..just normal skin colored bumps.
The tooth that was removed was a back molar (not a wisdom tooth, those were taken out years ago...which ironically, the first time I remember having throat problems was after that procedure...I had what they said was a reaction to the medication. That was about 6 years ago)

The sore was inside my mouth right next to my tooth extraction. It was a viral ulceration.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

for any mouth issues, apthous ulcers, viral ulcers....try OraJel for Mouth Sores. That's the only one that has zinc, and it helps to heal them. I would suggest you try it on that area and see if it helps.

It might be a reaction to the freezing/medication....you do know it's there, so checking often is always a good thing.

Orajel for Mouth Sores It's hard to find, but worth it. For some reason, stores tend to sell the other formulations and not that one as often. The last time I found them online and bought 4..

q

Old 01-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
(male)

dotdotdot HB User

I'm just concerned because I don't know how long it's been there (I don't know if maybe I've just never looked that far back)...and the fact that it doesn't hurt anymore but is still there.
That right tonsil just looks completely different than the lef too.
I couldn't get it in the picture, but even deeper down under the bumps it kind of goes in and out...like my tonsil is shaped with a "chunk" on it.
The other side has no bumps or anything.

I will be seeing my dentist in a few weeks so I'll probably have him look at it.
I dunno, it's just stressing me out a lot for some reason.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi..definitely ask the dentist, but it sounds as though your tonsil already has become reactive and a bit more inflamed. My tonsils have more of a shape to them, but sometimes one will get slightly bigger if there's something I'm fighting.

Your concerns are totally understandable, and because of that, you should consider to be referred to an ENT. This could be the "new shape" of your right tonsil since it's been reactive....best to know if it's a normal thing rather than perfect as you're used to as the left one is .

q

Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
(male)

dotdotdot HB User

I will be seeing my dentist 1 month from now.
Do you think that is too long to wait?

I mean of course my first thoughts go to cancer or something, but like I said, I just had a full physical with no other symptoms and no signs for concern from my primary doctor.

(My doctor is over an hour away and I have weird health insurance, otherwise I would just go back)

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think that if it's not changing, that you don't have pain in that area, that it's not changing colour or growing...you should consider to wait.

Try to keep things in perspective, yet be proactive.

You could, however, call your doctor and ask the receptionist if he could refer you to an ENT...at least you won't have wait as long.

could that work for you?

q

Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
(male)

dotdotdot HB User

I went and saw my doctor and he said that is just basically what my tonsil looks like and there is nothing to worry about...

So I feel better. still looks weird to me, but I definitely trust him

thanks for your help quincy!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

You're welcome.....good to hear all is "normal". I agree that they can look weird, and if you're fighting something...they can become even more weird shape-wise.

So, now you know. Do check every so often, although I suspect now it'll be a more regular routine. lol.

Be well,
q

Last edited by quincy; 01-28-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Reply Reply