It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
(female)

izzieshay HB User
Tonsillectomy - recovering alone?

Hey everyone!
So, after two delightful *sarcasm* bouts of tonsillitis followed by peritonsillar abscess, my doctor now recommends a tonsillectomy. I have no objections, being sick all the time is not something I have the time or patience for.

However, I've recently moved to a new city, and would be recovering from the procedure alone. Seeing as I'm prone to bleeding easily (nosebleeds that don't stop without cauterization, for example), I'm concerned about it.

I do have the option of staying with family at their home for a couple of weeks, however they live practically in the middle of nowhere (40 minutes from nearest ER - not the hospital where I'll have surgery) whereas I myself live in a large city, about 10 minutes from the hospital where I will have the surgery.

Those of you who have had a tonsillectomy as an adult, what do you think would be preferable? Someone to look after you, or being lose to the ER/hospital?

What concerns me is possible serious bleeding and being unable to call for help myself.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy - recovering alone?

one good thing about being alone, you won't have to talk. I didn't have my tonsils out, and there is definitely comfort in having someone to look after you in the early days of recovery. Would someone maybe be able to come and stay with you for a few days?

It's good you have the option of staying with family, however.

When are you having the surgery?

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
(female)

izzieshay HB User

I'm sure I could convince someone to come hang out for a few days, at least. I'm not overly concerned about being alone for most things, most of the time I prefer being by myself when I'm not feeling well - but I've read horror stories about hemorrhaging and not being able to speak and all kinds of bad things.

I guess being alone wouldn't be so great if you start bleeding profusely and no one's there to get you to the ER/call an ambulance.

I'm having the surgery in about 1-2 months, probably. It hasn't been scheduled yet. Might have to go in sooner if the infection comes back when I go off antibiotics.

I've actually never had any kind of surgery before, so the entire process freaks me out, to be honest.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I agree about the fear of surgery. While I've had a few major ones in the past, having tonsils out would be painful I'd assume. Hopefully the doc will give you appropriate pain meds to ease the pain without you feeling totally zonked so that you'll be able to function better.

I would suggest you have everything ready beforehand....that includes meals in the freezer so that you only have to heat them up. Lots of liquid meals that agree with you, etc.

The hemorrhage might be an issue, I don't think anyone can predict that. I've not known anyone for it to happen, only read it here. I'll assume that if you have contact with your doctor and ability to have access of what to do, you at least won't have to worry about that.

The more you have ready before the surgery, the less the concerns. But you should still ask others if they'd be able to at least come for the first 2 days that you're at home. I'll assume you'll be in the hospital for a day afterward?

q

Last edited by quincy; 01-23-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Reply Reply