It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
(female)

Cherubi HB User
Post Tonsillectomy Pain

Hi, I'm 15 and I got my tonsils removed two days ago 1/30/13. Right after the surgery when I woke up in the Recovery room my pain was minimal at 3/10 with 10 being the worst pain. After they let me go home I ate Bullion Cube Soup which I often call Ramen broth, and sucked on banana popsicles. I slept a lot and my throat didn't hurt very much until the next day. When I woke up in the morning I could barely speak or open my mouth without a great deal of pain so I quickly took my pain meds and my antibiotic to see if the pain would lessen. All I managed to drink was grape juice which burned when I swallowed and I could only eat popsicles. I could barely sleep that night and I kept waking up until I finally just gave up and took my meds and grabbed a pudding. After only two bites I couldn't eat any more and I had to throw it away. Afterwards I fell asleep in my chair and when I woke up I was in a lot of pain 7/10. I drank some hot tea and ate another jello. My throat has been building up a ton of mucus and it's been causing me to cough and gag it up and it feels horrible like it's a ball stuck in my throat. Sometimes I can barely swallow while other times I can easily swallow, like with the jello it easily went down my throat but the pudding hurt so bad and I had to stop eating it. Not too long ago I ate some ramen broth and a small slice of pepperoni pizza. The pizza was so good although it was very painful to swallow but it felt good to have something solid in my stomach. I just took my pain meds about 30 minutes ago but if it's done anything it just made my sore throat worse. My pain level is about an 8/10. Is this normal for the second day post tonsillectomy patients?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Post Tonsillectomy Pain

You really need to get more fluids down. This is not a fun recovery and keeping your throat hydrated is HUGELY important. Keep up with the popsicles and any other cooling, soothing liquid you can come up with...ginger ale is great as it helps with stomach issues. Scabs will start to come off around days 5-7 and it is REALLY important to be hydrated then. And take your pain meds!

Reply Reply