It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
(female)

newfairytales HB User
Blood when blowing nose - dangerous?

Hi,
for the past three days I've had a headache, particularly around my left eye. It's felt like a pressure behind it, more intense in the evenings. I haven't had a fever or any other symptoms, and my nose hasn't felt like it's been blocked or anything.

Anyway, I started thinking maybe I might have sinusitis, and then I blew my nose and a heap of blood came out! It was terrifying. It only came out from one sinus, I think, or at least not as forcefully from the other one.

I just wanted to ask if this is normal or if anyone's had it. I'm really freaked out as I've never had a nosebleed in my life. There's no way I'm going to be bleeding to death from this? There's no blood running out from my nose on it's own, but if I swipe it with paper it'll come back red. I don't taste blood, just now anyway.

I'm quite freaked out and would appreciate any help! Quite afraid I'm either going to bleed to death or that I have brain cancer, to be quite honest.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
(female)

peebles HB User
Re: Blood when blowing nose - dangerous?

Hi there,

This sounds normal to me. I have had this several times. I gather you blew hard enough to push the blood clot out. No need to be scared. I saw an ENT recently who explained that I have a slightly deviated septum, which is common, and probably causes my nose bleeds. I don't get them often now because I try to steam for 20 minutes when the air is dry.

Your concerns about brain cancer are just hypochondriasm (not sure if that is a word but you get the point ;-) We all have worries of this nature but lets try Occam's Razor first... let's consider the more realistic reasons instead... it is possible that you have a cyst as those have been known to bleed. BUT most likely it is simply a raw and irritated blood vessel that burst upon pressure and it will probably be sensitive to pressure and dryness the next little while. I recommend a steam bath! The pressure in your eye is almost certainly unrelated. I get eye strain in one eye ALL THE TIME. It just happened to coincide with the nose bleed this time.

Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
(female)

peebles HB User
Re: Blood when blowing nose - dangerous?

Hi there,

This sounds normal to me. I have had this several times. I gather you blew hard enough to push the blood clot out. No need to be scared. I saw an ENT recently who explained that I have a slightly deviated septum, which is common, and probably causes my nose bleeds. I don't get them often now because I try to steam for 20 minutes when the air is dry.

Your concerns about brain cancer are just hypochondriasm (not sure if that is a word but you get the point ;-) We all have worries of this nature but lets try Occam's Razor first... let's consider the more realistic reasons instead... it is possible that you have a cyst as those have been known to bleed. BUT most likely it is simply a raw and irritated blood vessel that burst upon pressure and it will probably be sensitive to pressure and dryness the next little while. I recommend a steam bath! The pressure in your eye is almost certainly unrelated. I get eye strain in one eye ALL THE TIME. It just happened to coincide with the nose bleed this time.

Hope this helps!

Reply Reply