It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2003, 09:12 PM   #1

devin butler HB User
Post deviated septum

hey i was wondering if anyone knows about or has had a deviated septum. I broke my nose when i was a kid and since its been slightly crooked so now i want to see if i can fix it anyone have any advice or info? thanks

Old 07-10-2003, 10:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
A deviated septum can lead to breathing difficulty and sinus problems depending on how badly you damaged your nose. If you choose to have it repaired, the surgeon will remove a portion from one nostril and incise it into the damaged nostril, thereby straightening out the shape and allow for better breathing. Your nose will hurt like heck for quite a few weeks, and you will be totally unable to breathe from your nose, which makes eating difficult. In the end, if you are currently having breathing difficulty, it is a good choice. Mine, however; I have left to nature as it has never caused me any problems. I didn't break mine at the top of the nose, but instead, broke the cartilage at the tip of my nose which would require extensive cosmetic surgery and I just don't feel it is worth the cost. Besides, it is what makes my face 'unique'

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
(male)

zloppy HB User
Re: deviated septum

I have that. i never hit my nose on anything. hmmmm

My nose seems like its always stuffy.

And I wouldnt want sergury on it.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

you can have a crooked nose and not have a deviated septum.. you can also have a deviated septum and not have a crooked nose or have ever damaged your nose. My nose is straight, but I have a naturally deviated septum. I can't breathe as well out of my right side of my nose. I am probably going to get surgery for it soon as I've been battling chronic sinusitis the last few months and will probably need sinus surgery to get it to go away.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
(female)

lady99 HB User

Hi Wakkochic....I had a septoplasty done along with the tonsillectomy last Friday. The septoplasty is to straighten my deviated septum. I've struggled with allergies as long as I can remember, but the deviation prevents me from breathing through my nose properly. Either one side... or both have always been clogged. When I lay down... forget it, I can't breathe through it at all. I also snore a lot.

I'm feeling some discomfort in the nose area, but more from the tonsillectomy. My ENT told me to expect nasal soreness for about a week. My son had the same surgery done last year, and his recovery took about a week, also. He sufferred with severe sleep apnea - hasn't snored again since.

Sometimes, splints are placed in the nose for a few days, but I didn't need them. Instead, I have self-absorbing sutures. I don't know if I've ever broken my nose, or if the septum has always been crooked. Looking at my nose, it's always been straight.

Good luck with your decision regarding surgery.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:02 AM   #6
(female)

nikkiisshort HB User

I had a deviated septum for as long as I could remember. You don't always have to have an injury to cause it to become crooked. But I know that mine was a combination of genetics (apparently it can be hereditary?) and I was a gymnastics coach for a number of years and was constantly getting kicked in the face by little kids. I had the rhinoplasty and sinus endoscopy done twice to fix it and I can breathe so much better!

The surgery itself wasn't so bad because they knocked me out completely. It really depends on what else you are having done at the time. Because I had septoplasty/rhinoplasty along with endoscopy, I had a terrible experience with the pain the first 2 days afterwards. The worst part really was getting out all the packing, splints, and the gauze. After that, it wasn't so bad.

It did take awhile before I felt back to 100%, but I'm so glad that I had the operation done because I don't get near the amount of sinus infections that I used to get and I also can breathe so much better!

Hopefully things work out for ya!

Old 06-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
(male)

avid4 HB User

I just went in yesterday and got the splints removed... that was the worst part. Possibly because my surgery was coupled with a tonsillectomy, and an adenoidectomy, it was relatively painless.

breathing is really weird after a week of wearing dressing on your nose to catch the bleeding.

Closed Thread