It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
(male)

TFOX8 HB User
Question Should I be Concerned About This CT Scan?

Hello. I am a teenage male with chronic sinusitus.

Today, I recieved a sinus CT scan with instatrak in order to determine if sinus surgery cleared up my problem and if I will need another one. As far as I am concerned, the blockage seems to have cleared up in my left frontal sinus (at least that is what the films showed), but that is not my problem.

This is my third CT scan at an FRi facility utilizing the same scanner and technician. The facility and staff are very nice and helpful. I am concerned about the equipment itself. The scanner is an older Philips MX-8000 16C and seems to be in good working order.

The problem I seem to be having occurs during the actual scan. I can "feel" radiation.

No, I am not crazy, I know you cannot feel radiation, but the sensation is so legit that it brings up concerns.

The sensation is only present during the emission of X-Rays. I could feel a small bit of it during the scouting scan, and it becomes more distinct during the actual scan. It is best decribed as a burning, tingling feeling in the nasopharyngeal cavity. My throat burns and my nose "smells" a musty, bleachy, strange smell. It is almost as if I can "feel" the ionizing radiation passing through my head. I feel it on my cheeks, eyes, nose, and throat.

I do have anxiety problems, and I took a benadryl sleep aid, and still asked for midazolam or chloral hydrate upon arrival, which, as I expected, they were unable to provide. The feeling is too real to be anxiety, and the extra time and sedation is not worth it for a 20 second scan...

Keeping in mind that I have felt this during all three scans, is there another person who has similarly experienced this or a tech/radiologist who may have some insight?

Also keep in mind that a pediatric dose was used, that I am not a hypochondriac, just a bit intuitive, and that yes, I would like to be a physician (which may seem obvious, considering that most high schoolers dont know stuff like this...).

I would appreciate any insight to my concerns!

Thank you much!
TFOX8

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
(female)

missourigrl HB User
Re: Should I be Concerned About This CT Scan?

I am an X-ray/MRI tech. I do not do CT. However, I had a pt not too long ago tell me could smell, in his words, musty oranges when he has CT scans. So no, I do not think you are crazy at all. Perhaps you are just hypersensitive or hyper aware during your scan. No one knows everything, so just because it's said that you cant feel radiation, IMO, doesn't mean it's necessarily true for everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFOX8 View Post
Hello. I am a teenage male with chronic sinusitus.

Today, I recieved a sinus CT scan with instatrak in order to determine if sinus surgery cleared up my problem and if I will need another one. As far as I am concerned, the blockage seems to have cleared up in my left frontal sinus (at least that is what the films showed), but that is not my problem.

This is my third CT scan at an FRi facility utilizing the same scanner and technician. The facility and staff are very nice and helpful. I am concerned about the equipment itself. The scanner is an older Philips MX-8000 16C and seems to be in good working order.

The problem I seem to be having occurs during the actual scan. I can "feel" radiation.

No, I am not crazy, I know you cannot feel radiation, but the sensation is so legit that it brings up concerns.

The sensation is only present during the emission of X-Rays. I could feel a small bit of it during the scouting scan, and it becomes more distinct during the actual scan. It is best decribed as a burning, tingling feeling in the nasopharyngeal cavity. My throat burns and my nose "smells" a musty, bleachy, strange smell. It is almost as if I can "feel" the ionizing radiation passing through my head. I feel it on my cheeks, eyes, nose, and throat.

I do have anxiety problems, and I took a benadryl sleep aid, and still asked for midazolam or chloral hydrate upon arrival, which, as I expected, they were unable to provide. The feeling is too real to be anxiety, and the extra time and sedation is not worth it for a 20 second scan...

Keeping in mind that I have felt this during all three scans, is there another person who has similarly experienced this or a tech/radiologist who may have some insight?

Also keep in mind that a pediatric dose was used, that I am not a hypochondriac, just a bit intuitive, and that yes, I would like to be a physician (which may seem obvious, considering that most high schoolers dont know stuff like this...).

I would appreciate any insight to my concerns!

Thank you much!
TFOX8

Reply Reply

Tags
ct scan, feeling, sinus, xray