It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
(female)

jnn HB User
Vocal abuse

Ironically, I am a speech therapist, and I hurt my vocal cords about a years ago working with older population with hearing loss. It has been worse in the past 6 months.
I also have reflux, but no very often, maybe 3-4 times a week that I am aware of. I also have allergy problem with sinus issues.

My symptoms are:
- pain when talking (especially the second half of the day at work)
- pain on swallow by the end of the day
- pain at rest when it gets more severe (at the end of the week).
- increased mucous on my vocal cords
There is not any change of my vocal quality or intensity though.

I took a two week vacation last month and it got a little bit better. But it got worse again when I went back to work.

Any insight and any home remedy to recommend, besides vocal rest??

Thank you very much!

Mae

Old 03-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
(female)

Beehappee HB User
Re: Vocal abuse

Silent acid reflux can exhibit all your symptoms. You do not need to have acid reflux to show signs of all those other symptoms. I just finished nexium for silent acid reflux. My nose has quit running now, and, it's easier to swallow. You can be hoarse from it too. If I were you I'd go to an ear nose and throat doctor and get checked out. It's too important to fool around with. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
(female)

jnn HB User

Thanks for the input Beehappee. My symptoms started with excessive talking to 2 very hard of hearing patients I had a year ago. But I am sure that the acid reflux gets it worse....
I can't take medication for reflux now because I am planning on getting pregnancy soon. Do you have any home remedy for reflux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beehappee View Post
Silent acid reflux can exhibit all your symptoms. You do not need to have acid reflux to show signs of all those other symptoms. I just finished nexium for silent acid reflux. My nose has quit running now, and, it's easier to swallow. You can be hoarse from it too. If I were you I'd go to an ear nose and throat doctor and get checked out. It's too important to fool around with. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
(female)

Beehappee HB User

I take two tablets of a supplement called, "Mastic Gum", every morning. It's cheapest thru Swansons online, about 13.00 bottle. I think it's okay to take it all the time. I will ask next time I go to doctor.

I also bought a bottle of, "Stops Acid REflux".com for 8.99. It's an old Amish trick and they now bottle and sell it. It's vinegar, garlic juice and ginger. I've only needed it once and it worked in 2 minutes like the label said! Get online and find out where you can get some. You might beable to make your own. It's organic too.

For the most part, I don't eat until overfull anymore. And, as I stated, I watch what I eat before laying down. Reflux is NASTY , and, it hurts!

Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
(female)

Beehappee HB User

You'll need to ask your OBGYN what you can take for acid reflux now that you are preggy. He might say both are okay when you need it. Pregnancy can bring it on in early stages and again at the end. Or, the entire time! I raised the head of my bed by putting those wheels on blocks for sleeping when I was pregnant. Just stay away from carbonation drinks, orange juice, choc and spicy. Eat really boring!

Reply Reply