It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #1
(female)

marip1 HB User
sinus infection??

I think I might have a sinus infection. Been getting dizziness, headaches first was dull intermittent short lasting now I've getting the pain in my forehead more frequently. Also been getting cracking sounds in forehead. Advil doesn't seem to help. Slight congestion. Does this sound like a sinus infection?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
(female)

Beehappee HB User
Re: sinus infection??

I've been in 3 times to the doctor only to be turned away because it was not a sinus infection. The doctor said the discharge needs to be green and there needs to be "pain" when you press down on the sinuses under the eyes and above the eyes too. It can get pretty miserable and not even antibiotics would help! He did tell me to use a netty pot twice a day. That really made a difference, and, I do that almost year round now. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
(female)

Leegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB User

I don't know, but you could try eating about two cloves of garlic a day. Garlic is a natural antibiotic. In addition, you could try going to another doctor for a second opinion. Possibly you have a blocked sinus, as that is fairly common.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
(female)

marip1 HB User

Update: I had a head MRI and it showed a dark spot in sinus cavity. What does this mean?

Old 04-17-2013, 03:20 AM   #5
(female)

marip1 HB User

Sorry I don't mean dark spot I mean't the sinus cavity showed up white a complete opacification. I had a head MRI and this was the test results. I've had this infection for 5 weeks now and I'm on my 2nd round of antibiotics. Should I see an ENT if this antibiotic doesn't work (Azithromycin)? Could this be a viral infection that's why it's not working the antibiotics? Do I wait it out or can tne ENT can do something? Does polyps show up as complete opacification?

Old 04-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
(female)

MollyW2013 HB User

You should take your CT scan to an ENT. Although complete opacification could mean polyps, it also could mean your sinus is blocked and just filled with fluid. The notes from the tech who did the CT will report their findings as well. I have near complete opacification, and both my ENT and the CT TECH said they did not think it was polyps or tumors, merely a blockage from my deviated septum that was causing the fluid to be unable to drain.... at all.

See an ENT. They will help you.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
(female)

marip1 HB User

I do have a divated septum. If I don't improve after my 10th day of my antibiotic I'll see an ENT. What do you think she will do? Do an endoscopy? Drain the sinuses?

Old 04-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
(female)

MollyW2013 HB User

She will most likely suggest a minor sinus endoscopic surgery to correct the deviation and clear the blockage.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
(female)

marip1 HB User

I have an appointment in a few days to see an ENT. I was reading about sinus infections online about fatigue being one of the symptoms. I don't have this. I feel pretty good. I can get my shopping and housework done inspite of the nasal congestion and intermittent headaches. Can you have a sinus infection without fatigue?

Old 04-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
(female)

marip1 HB User

I was thinking maybe I have allergies. Maybe that's why I don't have fatigue. Can allergies cause symptoms like a sinus infection? Can allergies cause a complete opacification?

Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
(female)

adpace HB Useradpace HB User

While allergies can be the source of irritation that eventually leads to an infection, they wouldn't likely cause a complete opacification. I generally feel fatigued with my sinus infections, but not 100% of the time. Just because you don't feel fatigue does not mean you do not have an infection. There could be any number of reasons that showed up on your scan, but antibiotics aren't effective: a viral infection, a fungal infection, polyps, or even just the location of the infection. Some doctors believe that antibiotics are not particularly effective in the sinuses due to poor blood circulation. Whatever you have going on, an ENT should be able to diagnose and treat it. What they do may depend on what's going on, but my guess based on what you are saying is an endoscopic procedure. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
(female)

marip1 HB User

I went for an endoscopy and he did not see any polyps, cysts or tumors. He didn't see any infection but I still have mucus in the front cavity. I don't think he said anyting about it being blocked. Actually it was hard to understand what he was saying. He told me if I'm still having problems by the end of May I should have a balloon sinusplasty done. If he mentioned this procedure does it mean he thinks it is blocked?? He did not mention allergies, but I think it must be allergies for me to have mucus still in there. I'm really confused.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
(female)

adpace HB Useradpace HB User

If he mentioned a balloon sinuplasty, that probably means your sinuses may not be draining well. That procedure is a minimally invasive one done to open up the passageways and make it easier for sinuses to drain. Allergies or environmental irritants can cause mucus if there is no sign of infection and the balloon procedure would just help the mucus from those things drain more easily. I'm a little confused here as well - I think if your ENT is not explaining things well or there is a lack of communication and you can't get some clarity by asking him, you might need to look for another. If course, I would try going back to him with your questions first, but if there is a lack of communication, you may need someone who is more clear about what they think the issue is and what specific options you have to treat it.

Reply Reply