It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
(female)

MollyW2013 HB User
Endoscopic Sinus Surgery for Maxillary sinus

Hi everyone,

My ENT has suggested a minimally invasive FESS surgery to open up my maxillary sinuses, which are anatomically blocked. I also have a slight deviated septum, which I had fixed 20 years ago and it somehow re-deviated. My doc won't fix the deviation, unless he cannot open the maxillary sinus without doing it. BUT, I hated the last surgery, done when I was 18. It was HORRIBLE! My question to you all is has anyone had some sinus surgery done recently? How was the recovery time? Did you have any complications? I'm super worried and scared, but am leaning toward having the procedure. I have facial pain in the nose and eyebrow pretty much daily and sinus headaches at least two times a week. My right max sinus is blocked, and no antibiotics can touch it, so it's still filled with gunk. Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated, as I really need to be talked off the ledge!

Old 03-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Endoscopic Sinus Surgery for Maxillary sinus

The recovery from endoscopic surgery isn't too bad but, before you have the surgery you may want to talk to your doctor about medical options (a short course of oral steroids followed by daily use of a topical steroid spray and saline irrigation) for getting your maxillary sinus to drain properly.

You should also ask about your doctor's approach to surgical follow up and make sure that the doctor plans on 2-3 post-surgical debridement visits to remove "crusts" (scabs) that can lead to scarring. The visits aren't pleasant but they are critical to the success of the surgery.

In general, the recovery time will be 3-5 days, but many people feel better after a day or two with minimally invasive procedures (and most surgeons use less packing than was common 20 years ago so the discomfort is minimal).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
(female)

MollyW2013 HB User

Thanks for your response. I have been using the NeilMed bottle irrigation since October o f2012. Been using Fluonase as well since October. Was given two course of Augmentin and One long course of oral steriods. Nothing changed. CT shows complete block of the right Max, due to slight deviated septum and a concha bullosa. My doc says he will try not to fix the deviation though, as he is a minimalist (which I like). But, he has to get in to the max sinus, and open it up for some drainage. When I do the rinse, it is usually clear mucus. Occasionally a yellow gel, but only once or twice a month do I get that. So, I'm thinking maybe underlying cause might be allergies.

Thanks for the advice on F/U appts. I have an appt. with my doc prior to the surgery, so I plan on having a list of questions. I will include this in the list.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
(female)

Bea590 HB User

I had sinus surgery Nov 5 and had NO pain at all. Very little drainage. The worst part was having to sleep sitting up for 24 hours...didn't really sleep, just dozed. I was terrified of having sinus surgery because everyone told me their horror story but it was nothing. Getting the balloons removed was painful for a few seconds, and then it was all over. No packing. I hear that makes a big difference.

Clare

Old 03-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
(female)

MollyW2013 HB User

Thanks Clare.
I am super nervous, really hoping we just do the maxillary antrostomy and we leave the deviation alone. Did you doc have you come in for several follow ups post of? I see a lot of that on other posts here.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
(female)

MollyW2013 HB User

Thanks Clare.
I am super nervous, really hoping we just do the maxillary antrostomy and we leave the deviation alone. Did you doc have you come in for several follow ups post of? I see a lot of that on other posts here.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
(female)

Bea590 HB User

I went back twice, the first time I had my two 3-year old grands with me and they were using their Innotabs, not paying attention...I thought. Grant said afterwards, "he pulled STUFF out of your nose!" but he was fascinated, not scared

The first time, the doc pulled out the balloons that had held the sinus openings open while they healed, and the second time he pulled out a bit of a scab. Both times were unpleasant but only lasted a few seconds.

I did not have a deviation repair but had infections one right after the other for about 2 years and the last 6 months were bad...I was continually sick and on one antibiotic after the other. Felt like I had the flu the whole time. I haven't been sick since I had the surgery.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
(female)

MollyW2013 HB User

Nice! That's great to hear! Glad it went so well for you.

Reply Reply