It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
(female)

mslowick HB User
Tonsillectomy Post-Op Complications... when will it end?

Tonsillectomy Post-Op Complications... when will it end?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello friends,

I had my tonsillectomy on Feb 21. It was an uneventful procedure. I'm a 37 year old nurse who figured I could fly through recovery and get back to work. Nope. On day 4, I hemorrhaged at home alone, called 911, rushed to ER, given 4 liters of fluids and silver nitrate to close the bleeder. Sent home. Day 6, hemorrhaged again, went to ER, went to pre-op for emergency surgery. Began hemorrhaging worse... I lost 2 pints of blood in the 5 minutes it took them to get me into the ER, thought I was going to die. Spent the night in the hospital. Went home and would you believe it happened again two days later on the other side? Another hemorrhage. Back to the ER and in the OR within a half hour. Hemoglobin dropped to 8, nearly needed a blood transfusion. Was on disability for the month. Worst imaginable pain for 2 weeks, nerve damage, so much extra jaw and mouth pain from the emergency procedures. I have taste distortion that won't go away. My last operation to stop the bleeding was Mar 4. Its now Mar 31. I still have stitches that hurt and won't dissolve. I still have intermittent ear pain. Pain with swallowing, albeit minor. Dry, scratchy throat. Still have smooth white patches in the back of the throat. Weird taste in my mouth... bitter, sweet, unpleasant. Food tastes "off". Its been nearly a month since my last surgery, and I understand I had a lot of complications, BUT when are things going to get back to normal? On the plus side, I am doing well enough to go back to work. The profound anemia resolved. But I'm just so shocked by and disappointed with my recovery. In the 10 days after surgery, I ended up 4 hemorrhages, a 911 call and ambulance ride to the ER, bedside cautery, 2 more ER trips, 2 emergency surgeries with hospitalizations and pain beyond my wildest dreams. My doctor keeps telling me well, it take 2 weeks to heal. I call again, then he says it takes a month to heal. I'm sure if I call him in another month, he'll tell me it takes 3 months to heal.

So, I'm asking you, based on your experience (especially if its anything like mine), how long does it really take to heal and start to feel normal again. My fear is that it won't get better, my taste distortion will linger, pain won't ever fully leave. Please give me hope. And if you can't give me hope, give me the truth.

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by mslowick; 03-31-2013 at 02:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply