It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
(male)

Prokhorovka HB User
Slightly clogged ear after a not-so-loud noise? Hearing loss?

Last week I heard a noise that was a little loud (it was two porcelain dinner dishes banging together about 1.5 - 2 feet from my head) and I felt some discomfort (but not pain) in my left ear. After a few seconds the discomfort went away but then the left ear clogged up. I tried valsalva maneuver but it didn't help, and it made my right ear feel clogged too.

I had a cold last month which caused sinus problems and clogged ears/tubes, but it got better after 8-9 days. I've been fine for almost 2-3 weeks, but now this noise has made my ear clog again.

I saw my ENT this past Wednesday (April 10 2013) and he looked at my eardrum and did a nasal endoscopy to look at my Eustachian tubes, he said both looked okay. He did say my ears were still a little congested. He did a Weber test and my reaction was fine as well. I have a hearing test + follow up with my ENT on the 22nd. I don't feel as though I have hearing loss, just a clogged up/swollen feeling. Nothing sounds robotic or tinny or distorted, I was sensitive to loud sounds for the first couple of days but now it's no problem.

For the past 2 days my ear has been crackling/popping when I swallow, however, I CAN pop my ear via valsalva maneuver (close my nose and blow) now, it just doesn't provide relief to the clogged sensation, nor does it stop the crackling and popping when I swallow.

What can be the problem? I didn't think two porcelain dinner dishes hitting together could be loud enough to cause hearing loss, but what else could it be? It's been over a week now and left ear consistently feels slightly clogged, sometimes with a pressure feeling that lasts a few seconds. It's making me crazy!

SOME STUFF I NOTICED:
- The cloggy/swollen feeling is substantially more noticeable when I have headphones on, even if NO SOUND is coming through.
- The cloggy/swollen feeling is also substantially more noticeable when I am sleeping/when I wake up. The ear crackling/popping usually is not present when I just wake up. Shortly after getting out of bed (maybe 5 or so minutes) the cloggy/swollen feeling becomes less noticeable but the crackling/popping returns.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured the more details I can provide the better.

Last edited by Prokhorovka; 04-14-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply