It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
(female)

pinkfrog HB User
Tongue numbness 2 weeks after tonsillectomy?

Hi,

I'm a 25 year old female. I had a tonsillectomy 13 days ago. The top of my tongue is still numb and my taste buds are off... I also have this feeling of a strange lining on the top of my tongue, that I can't scratch or brush off... it just feels weird. Anyone go through this? How long did it take you to recover?

I've had a very hard recovery, excruciating pain that brought into emerge twice. First, my pain meds weren't strong enough and second the swelling was so bad it was closing up my airway.

I have not eaten in 13 days... I have lost about 20lbs.(I've got some weight to lose, so this is not a problem).
I'm drinking lots of water, juice and eating popsicles.
For the first time yesterday, I was able to have some very liquidy pureed soup... it hurt going down, but I managed.
Even though I haven't eaten in 2 weeks, I am not starving... I only get hungry when I see commercials on tv with some delicious looking food.(but I'm pretty sure that's psychological)
Physically though, I'm not hungry... Is this normal?

Thanks for your input!

Old 05-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
(female)

adpace HB Useradpace HB User
Re: Tongue numbness 2 weeks after tonsillectomy?

Yes, I would say what you are going through is normal. I had my tonsils out at age 32 and had a very similar experience. My tonsils were also quite large (even as tonsils up for tonsillectomy go) and it created a difficult recovery period for me. My tongue had a numb spot on it (couldn't taste on one side of my mouth) for about a month or so, but eventually everything returned to normal. Since you have been able to get some soup down, I imagine you are not far off now from being able to eat a little and the recovery seems to go much quicker from there. Just hang in there - it does get better! Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
appetite loss, pain, tongue numbness, tonsillectomy