It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
(female)

TL81 HB User
Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

Hi,

Iíve been corresponding with a couple other Eustachian tube dysfunction sufferers on this board, but I wanted to start a thread with my specific symptoms in the hopes that someone can shed some light. About a month and a half ago, I started noticing a very loud crackling/crunching sound in both ears every time I swallow, and intermittent fullness in my ears which sometimes gets worse as the day progresses. Some of the things Iím thinking could have possibly caused my ETD are the following:

ē 3rd week of March: external ear canal infection; severe enough where ear canal shut close; had to have wick inserted in ear; given antibiotic ear drops and oral antibiotics as well.
ē 2nd week in April: sick with viral cough/cold which lasted about 3 weeks; was told this turned into sinus infection; took Augmentin which didnít seem to really do anything because I think it was viral; eventually the cough and stuffy nose went away.
ē I donít have any know allergies, although Iíve heard they can show up at any time during your life, so perhaps itís a possibility? Iím not symptomatic though (no stuffy nose, itchy eyes, etc.).
ē I was under a lot of stress for the past few months, could overactive ear muscles be causing this instead of it being a Eustachian tube problem?

My question is the following: from what Iíve read, itís common for people with ETD to experience the crackling upon swallowing and yawning. However, it seems just as common that once this crackling starts, itís there to stay. Has anyone had these problems with their Eustachian tubes and had them resolve/completely go away?

I have another appointment with my ENT on the 22nd of this month, and sheís going to run some more thorough tests on my tubes. I already had a hearing test and that was normal, so at least thatís a positive. I should note that when performing the valsalva maneuver, I am able to pop my ears, but they make the same cracking sound as when I swallow.

It just seems that ETD can be a chronic problem, and not many positive threads out thereóany success stories?

Thanks in advance!

Tati

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
(male)

bthomps849 HB User
Re: Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

Yes I went through the same things you mentioned. I have had many smaller tubes when I was younger. My pe tubes never repaired themselves but some children's do. So I went back a week ago and had larger tubes ( T Tubes) inserted. before leaving his office I noticed my hearing got at least 50% worse. It sounded like I was hearing everything from inside the bottom of a well. Now it's been a full week and no improvements with the hearing. I still have a little pressure but overall that part is getting better. I read on here a PA said wait at least six months before you consider having the tubes removed so they have time to fully heal. So I am waiting and praying for them to get well. I wish someone could be more precise as to the average time it takes to get your hearing back. Good luck with your procedure.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
(female)

TL81 HB User

I'm so sorry to hear that you're suffering too. Hopefully what you're describing is part of the healing process, from what I've read, it's normal after having the tubes inserted. I'm curious, did you ever experience the crackling when swallowing? that's been a constant for me these past 2 months and i never had that before, so I'm very confused as to why it's happening now.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
(male)

bthomps849 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL81 View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that you're suffering too. Hopefully what you're describing is part of the healing process, from what I've read, it's normal after having the tubes inserted. I'm curious, did you ever experience the crackling when swallowing? that's been a constant for me these past 2 months and i never had that before, so I'm very confused as to why it's happening now.
yes I have had the crackling all my life. it is fluid build up behind the eardrum. it sounds like popping your knuckles. hopefully the tubes will give us some relief. I have lived with and without tubes for many years. if my hearing improves i'd rather have tubes all the time. they are that big of an improvement for me.

Last edited by bthomps849; 05-17-2013 at 05:41 AM. Reason: grammer

Old 05-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
(female)

TL81 HB User

The best way I can describe it is in between a click and crackling sound every time I swallowóeven just salivaóand when I flex my muscles to yawn it sounds like soap bubbles popping. I was told that I donít have fluid behind my eardrum, so Iím guessing maybe itís some type of inflammation, but thatís just my guess. Again, I did not have this happen until two months ago, so Iím not sure. I donít know that I would even be a candidate for tubes, Iím just waiting to see the doctor next week for some tests. Do the tubes help the crackling at all or is it more with the pressure? I was already diagnosed with Eustachian tube dysfunction, but thatís a diagnosis thatís thrown around very easily by doctors, so weíll see.

I hope you have a speedy recovery and that your hearing returns to normal soon. I will keep you in my prayers

Old 05-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
(female)

wardler80 HB User

Hi,

I have had ETD my entire life! Yes, it is the WORST thing imaginable. I have had two sets of tubes as a child and one set about 12 years ago. When I go see and ENT or doctor my ears looks perfectly fine and they almost blow it off like "Yeah, you have Eustachian Tube dysfunction"... It is frustrating and depressing (been there many times) and am dealing with it right now.

If you don't have any fluid behind your ear drum (infection) then my advice (** I am not a doctor**) would be to NOT get tubes put in your ear drum. I have done this and woke up from surgery with WORSE symptoms (everything was super loud, heard myself breathing, hearing was muffled) and immediately freaked out. Needless to say, I had them removed by a different doctor 3 days later and it was a stressful event. I refuse to wait 6 months on something that made my symptoms worse.

I have clicking in my ears every time I swallow. If I don't I know something is wrong. The crackling you are hearing is sinus garbage in and around your E tubes. You have to get that stuff out of there before the real healing can begin. Unfortunately this goop/mucus can be caused by all sort of things (allergies, sinus infection, etc). I notice mine plug up if I get a sore throat and right now if I eat anything mine plug up as well.

Here is what I do that provides some relief:

1. Neti-Pot or Neil Med sinus rinse. Just use a little saline water and rinse your sinuses out. Do this as often during the day as you feel you need to. I know it sounds and is gross, but you have to get that stuff out of there and off of the opening to your E tube and let the tissues heal. Trust me, this will help. Make sure you use some salt water to rinse or it will burn. I buy neti-pot salt, but you can use table salt. Like a 1/2 tsp. and warm water. It

2. I use sudafed. The real stuff behind the counter now to try and dry up the sinus mucus. I feel that the benefit of the decongestant which is really what is happening to the E tube. It is congested and not working properly.

3. I also use flonase. I don't know if the nasal steroid works, but I am pretty desperate to try anything.

But to answer your questions:

YES it is very common to hear crackling and popping and bubbles like noises when you have ETD. Also, this can take days, weeks and months to clear up. (that just stinks to type, but it is true) There is no quick fix for ETD cause if there was I would be first in line!! HA The crackling should at some point go away and just maybe a clicking noise when you swallow. I always hear a clicking noise so I am not sure what it feels like to not.

The good news is that I have had ETD for 32 years. Each time I usually have symptoms of 3-5 weeks, with the worst being the first 10-14 days. Then I hear crackling and popping, which I think is good cause it means things are moving and hopefully on there way out. If you didn't hear this that would mean your E tubes were are congested and swollen they can't move. I read your post and thought, "oh thank goodness they hear that", because for me that means it is getting better. But that also means it could be like that for awhile. I once had an episode last for months. Not terrible the whole time but stressful to say the least.

Right now my left ear won't keep a normal pressure and I find myself popping it, or better yet, trying to pop it 100's of times a day. It is driving me mad. As many times as my ETD flares up I am never prepared to deal with it. It is so frustrating!!

Anyways, if you don't take anything away from this but one thing please USE A NETI POT as soon as possible. Anything to help right???

The Following User Says Thank You to wardler80 For This Useful Post:
TL81 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
(male)

bthomps849 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardler80 View Post
Hi,

I have had ETD my entire life! Yes, it is the WORST thing imaginable. I have had two sets of tubes as a child and one set about 12 years ago. When I go see and ENT or doctor my ears looks perfectly fine and they almost blow it off like "Yeah, you have Eustachian Tube dysfunction"... It is frustrating and depressing (been there many times) and am dealing with it right now.

If you don't have any fluid behind your ear drum (infection) then my advice (** I am not a doctor**) would be to NOT get tubes put in your ear drum. I have done this and woke up from surgery with WORSE symptoms (everything was super loud, heard myself breathing, hearing was muffled) and immediately freaked out. Needless to say, I had them removed by a different doctor 3 days later and it was a stressful event. I refuse to wait 6 months on something that made my symptoms worse.

I have clicking in my ears every time I swallow. If I don't I know something is wrong. The crackling you are hearing is sinus garbage in and around your E tubes. You have to get that stuff out of there before the real healing can begin. Unfortunately this goop/mucus can be caused by all sort of things (allergies, sinus infection, etc). I notice mine plug up if I get a sore throat and right now if I eat anything mine plug up as well.

Here is what I do that provides some relief:

1. Neti-Pot or Neil Med sinus rinse. Just use a little saline water and rinse your sinuses out. Do this as often during the day as you feel you need to. I know it sounds and is gross, but you have to get that stuff out of there and off of the opening to your E tube and let the tissues heal. Trust me, this will help. Make sure you use some salt water to rinse or it will burn. I buy neti-pot salt, but you can use table salt. Like a 1/2 tsp. and warm water. It

2. I use sudafed. The real stuff behind the counter now to try and dry up the sinus mucus. I feel that the benefit of the decongestant which is really what is happening to the E tube. It is congested and not working properly.

3. I also use flonase. I don't know if the nasal steroid works, but I am pretty desperate to try anything.

But to answer your questions:

YES it is very common to hear crackling and popping and bubbles like noises when you have ETD. Also, this can take days, weeks and months to clear up. (that just stinks to type, but it is true) There is no quick fix for ETD cause if there was I would be first in line!! HA The crackling should at some point go away and just maybe a clicking noise when you swallow. I always hear a clicking noise so I am not sure what it feels like to not.

The good news is that I have had ETD for 32 years. Each time I usually have symptoms of 3-5 weeks, with the worst being the first 10-14 days. Then I hear crackling and popping, which I think is good cause it means things are moving and hopefully on there way out. If you didn't hear this that would mean your E tubes were are congested and swollen they can't move. I read your post and thought, "oh thank goodness they hear that", because for me that means it is getting better. But that also means it could be like that for awhile. I once had an episode last for months. Not terrible the whole time but stressful to say the least.

Right now my left ear won't keep a normal pressure and I find myself popping it, or better yet, trying to pop it 100's of times a day. It is driving me mad. As many times as my ETD flares up I am never prepared to deal with it. It is so frustrating!!

Anyways, if you don't take anything away from this but one thing please USE A NETI POT as soon as possible. Anything to help right???
I have never done a neti pot before. I am going now to find something around the house to use and do your suggested rinse. i'll let you know shortly.

Last edited by bthomps849; 05-17-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
(female)

wardler80 HB User

You can get a neti pot for like $9 dollars from Walmart or CVS, or Walgreens.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
(male)

bthomps849 HB User

WOW..... I've never had this feeling inside my nose before. I used my waterpic. I have extra pics and did it as though it were a pot with salt and warm water. i'll watch and see if my hearing improves through the day. My sinuses feel clean like I just brushed my teeth. I did see a little crud in the sink from the rise. man I could get hooked on this. I liked it. LOL

The following user gives a hug of support to bthomps849:
wardler80 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
(male)

bthomps849 HB User

did you read wardler80's post to me about doing a neti pot? I tried it and liked it. U might give it a try.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
(female)

TL81 HB User

I'm
So afraid to try the neti pot in case it makes my ears worse. I shod just be brave and try it!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
(male)

bthomps849 HB User

my ears feel slightly better but my sinuses feel awesome.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
(female)

wardler80 HB User

I use mine like 3 times a day If you are afraid then be sure to blow your nose gently after you are done. I find using it consistently to be the key

Old 05-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
(female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User

I just wanted to post to say that a "click" with swallowing is considered normal e-tube function. E-tubes open briefly throughout the day activated by the swallowing muscles and in order to aerate the middle ear. The e-tube is made of both cartilage and mucous membrane, so when the moist surfaces pull apart, there may be an audible ear click even in completely normal circumstances. Now, the more congested and narrowed the tube is, whether from allergies, recovery from middle ear infection, or from a cold or sinus infection, the louder or crunchier this otherwise normal click may sound. I have grown accustomed to at least some degree of minor clickiness or crunchiness to my tubes since dealing with ETD and recurrent middle ear infections. Unfortunately I haven't found a good answer for it, as it does seem to be a part of the normal recovery process for allergies, colds, and ear infections, so for me I just try to accept it and ignore it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jenni9033 For This Useful Post:
TL81 (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
(male)

bthomps849 HB User

It's been 18 days since I had T-Tubes inserted and my hearing still hasn't improved. Anyone have any good news for me that it will eventually get better?

The following user gives a hug of support to bthomps849:
jenni9033 (05-28-2013)
Reply Reply