It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
(female)

rocha22 HB User
Is myringtomy and ear tubes safe?

Hi, I have been diagnosed with Eustachian Tube Dysfunction about 6 months ago. I have had it for about 2 years now. I don't have any notable hearing loss but I have had horrible crackling, popping, and tinnitus in my ears. I do not have any fluid behind my ears. Also, I have been to a TMJ doctor and they said my jaw looks normal and I have no jaw pain. I do not have allergies either. I have tried so many decongestants, using neti pots, nasal sprays, medications from my ENT and TMJ doctor and nothing has worked. It looks like my only option now is surgery. My ENT doctor told me that he will first make a slit in my eardrum to see if that helps me and we will wait about a week or two for it to heal up. Then if that doesn't work, he will make another slit in my eardrum and insert the ear tubes. Is 2 holes in my eardrum a lot?? I am so scared that I am going to have hearing loss. I am only 16 and this ear problem has caused me to feel depressed, lonely, and I have lost so many good friends because of it. I can't imagine if my hearing just got worse. If anyone has expirience with this surgery or knows anything about it, that would help so much. Thank you

Last edited by rocha22; 05-20-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
(male)

acshaw80 HB User
Re: Is myringtomy and ear tubes safe?

Here's my experience with slits in your ear drums. Sometimes they heal and sometimes they don't. I had a tube put in my ear 7 years ago because I also have eustachian tube dysfunction and unfortunately when the tube fell out after 18 months the hole did not heal up. I am now going on my 3rd tympanoplasty (surgery to repair a hole in your ear drum) to repair the hole put in my ear by this tube. Yes, this surgery has failed twice for me which is mindboggling. I think I must be the exception as this surgery has a 90% success rate and it has failed twice for me. I also now have between 30-40% hearing loss in the ear this surgery was performed on. These surgeries were performed at two very well regarded hospitals here in Cleveland, Ohio. At any rate, you need to talk to your doctor about what might happen if your ear drum does not heal...tympanoplasty is real head surgery. they put you to sleep and it isn't fun when you wake up. Its not terrible, but your doctor should talk to you about this (real) possibility. Good luck.

Last edited by acshaw80; 05-23-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

I know that your post is old but I thought that I would write and hope you might see it. I wanted to ask you if your et symptoms improved and if you were having fluid accumulation once the tube was out or did the fluid drain thru the hole that was left in your eardrum from the tube? Are you going to attempt another surgery to repair your eardrum? Is it even possible? I'm also located in Ohio. In Columbus. I think that some of these doctors are just incompetent. I know the first ent that I went to wouldn't do anything for me except give me flonase. She probably would have had me taking flonase for the rest of my life. Who gives 11 refills on something like that anyway? I had a myringotomy a week ago and I am probably going to need a tube in my left ear. Since are circumstances are similar that's why I was wanting to know if your eustachian tubes functioning improved any from having the tube? Thanks for any input you can give.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
(female)

rocha22 HB User

Hi Marie,

Before my ENT was going to perform the surgery, he wanted me to do an experiment involving elevation to see if my ears were able to pop and adjust. After going up about 8000 ft in elevation, my ears were able to pop. My ENT also took an MRI scan of my ears and didn't see anything odd. He then decided that the ear tubes weren't for me. He's now sending me back to my TMJ doctor and it looks like I'll have to do some jaw surgery instead. I'm not really sure if this will fix it but it looks like it's my only choice now.

About the ear tubes, I'm not completely sure about the fluid issue. From what I've read, if you already have a lot of fluid behind your eardrum before the surgery, then the slit will allow it all to come out. Then after you get the surgery, you have to prevent water from getting in your ears. I'm not positive if fluid will permanently stay out of your ears once the slit closes up. I think if your fluid issue is also due to clogged sinuses and other issues, then it might be best to take care of underlying problem instead.

I hope this helps, and sorry if it's not the best information! lol this stuff is all so confusing. There are so many things to worry about, like your slit not closing up for example. I think in most cases the slit does heal so I wouldn't worry too much about that! As far as the healing loss, I heard that after the surgery it seems like your hearing is worse but after time I think it mostly recovers!

Old 09-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

Can you give me more information about your surgery? I had one done a few days ago and my hearing is not right. Please help.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

Are you still having issues with your ears? Did you have the myringotomy that you mentioned? How is your hearing now? I had one too and it hasn't turned out very well for me. I'm not hearing any better since I have had it.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

Dear Acshaw80,
Have you had any issues with fluid in the ear? This is why I had my myringotomy. Can you tell me how long an eardrum takes to heal? I'm so scared that mine won't heal right or that I will need a tube because of fluid returning. I'm afraid that I also have hearing loss. It's been two weeks and my ear doesn't feel right yet. How long does it take to heal? Does it ever feel right again? My ear still hurts alittle. Everything that I have read says I should be healed up by now. What type of money does it cost for eardrum repair surgery? If this happens to me I have no insurance and I don't have the money for surgery. Have they told you why it didn't take the first time? I have been told that I have eustachian tube dysfunction as well because of the fluid in my ear after an ear infection. What symptoms did you have with the e-tube dysfunction? How many times have you had tubes in your ears? Will any hearing loss return if you have a successful surgery? I have to have a hearing test on Monday and I am terrified to find out the results. This ear issue has caused me untold stress and anxiety and I have felt like it is going to cause me to have a nervous breakdown. I'm obsessing about it and can't stop thinking on it. If everything turns out ok then I will be able to put it behind me, but until I know if I am going to be ok it's mentally exhausting me. How have you gotten thru these issues? Have you had your third surgery yet or have you decided not to do it? I'm in Ohio as well. Maybe it's not the best place for ear problems. I'm not impressed with any of the ent's that I have seen.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

Dear Acshaw80,
Have you had any issues with fluid in the ear? This is why I had my myringotomy. Can you tell me how long an eardrum takes to heal? I'm so scared that mine won't heal right or that I will need a tube because of fluid returning. I'm afraid that I also have hearing loss. It's been two weeks and my ear doesn't feel right yet. How long does it take to heal? Does it ever feel right again? My ear still hurts alittle. Everything that I have read says I should be healed up by now. What type of money does it cost for eardrum repair surgery? If this happens to me I have no insurance and I don't have the money for surgery. Have they told you why it didn't take the first time? I have been told that I have eustachian tube dysfunction as well because of the fluid in my ear after an ear infection. What symptoms did you have with the e-tube dysfunction? How many times have you had tubes in your ears? Will any hearing loss return if you have a successful surgery? I have to have a hearing test on Monday and I am terrified to find out the results. This ear issue has caused me untold stress and anxiety and I have felt like it is going to cause me to have a nervous breakdown. I'm obsessing about it and can't stop thinking on it. If everything turns out ok then I will be able to put it behind me, but until I know if I am going to be ok it's mentally exhausting me. How have you gotten thru these issues? Have you had your third surgery yet or have you decided not to do it? I'm in Ohio as well. Maybe it's not the best place for ear problems. I'm not impressed with any of the ent's that I have seen.

Reply Reply