It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
(female)

randi74 HB User
Strep that won't go Away!!

Three and a half weeks ago i had a major sore throat, fever and chills. my two kids had strep at the time. sure enough, I tested positive for strep which was confirmed with a culture. I took penicilin for 10 days, it seemed to be getting better but on day 11 symptoms resumed and I was tested positive again! So my internist gave me another 10 days of penicilin. Again, symptoms seemed to be going away but again, the day after I finished the meds I felt symptoms and tested again positive for strep. This time I went to an ent who prescribed me augmentin. It's day 5 and although symptoms are improving, as they did before, my throat is still red. I feel it will not eradicate the strep.

What is going on? I'm 38 years old. In good health. I haven't had strep or any throat issues since I was 12 years old. Can anyone help me with suggestions?

I should mention it isn't a diff ent strain of strep that is resistant to the meds. In fact my kids were cured from it in the first 10 days!

Last edited by randi74; 05-24-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Reply Reply