It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
(male)

blues1986 HB User
Mastoiditis? Mastoid air cells gone.

Hello all. I have been on a strange journey the last three months with my symptoms and I believe a diagnosis is coming soon but I wanted to know if anyone ever has heard of this or gone through it.

For three months now I have dealt with constant tinnitus and recent diagnosed moderate hearing loss, only in my left ear. I have had brief episodes of vertigo, headaches, and pressure on my left temporal side of my head as well during this.

At first my doctor believed it was an ear infection (had them when I was a child and had the tubes put in when I was young), but after a round of antibiotics and steroids with no relief I was refereed to an ENT. This is where they discovered what they called "moderate hearing loss" in my left ear.

Two weeks ago I had an MRI done. My ENT said the MRI showed asymmetric opacification and under pneumatization of the left mastoid air cells. He then ordered a CT scan to see if there was any erosion of the surrounding bones. I wont know what they found for a day or two but I was able to get a copy of the scans. The CT scan does confirm that my left mastoid air cells are in fact gone. They have thickened up, now I am waiting to hear if there was any damage to the surrounding bones.

Does this sound like mastoiditis? My doctor has already informed me surgery is going to be an option based on the findings in the CT scan.

Reply Reply