It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
(male)

dextere HB User
red spot on tongue

hi,
I've had this flat, red spot on my tongue going on 5 days now. So far, it doesn't hurt, change in size or changed in color. It actually looks like a "bald spot," on my tongue where there is no papillae. I went to the ENT this past Monday and he scoped my throat and diagnosed me with acid reflux. I only noticed the spot on my tongue when I got to work that same day. I immediately took a picture of it and sent it to him asking him if he noticed it whilst looking in my throat? He said he had not, but based on the picture said that he feels it's not too concerning right now. Well, I'm the type of person that gets concerned easily so I made an appointment with my GP and my dentist.
I saw my GP the next day, but because I had brushed my tongue, she couldnt really see anything. I showed her the picture, but she said she felt it had gone away. Well, it didn't. Later that afternoon, i could clearly see it and snapped another pic. Today, I went to my dentist to get screen for oral cancer. He did some routine then looked in my mouth. He too could not clearly see it, but I showed him the pictures as well. He felt around the area, but felt that it would be too soon to send me to an oral surgeon for biopsy, since he really can't feel or see it too well. Just said to keep an eye on it. Monday, i'm re-scheduled to see my ENT. This time in the afternoon which to me, it's easier to see (like now). Has anyone ever had any type of situation like this? Of course reading probably causes online, doesn't put my mind at ease, either. I did read a couple of articles where it said that acid reflux, or digestive disorders can sometimes cause red spotting on the tongue? I also have throat pain when i talk and when I eat certain foods that I suppose aggravate the acidity levels in my body. Any replies are appreciated.

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: red spot on tongue

Do a check on geographic tongue and see if that fits into what your pictures look like.

q

Old 06-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
(male)

dextere HB User

i did. doesn't really fit the criteria since it's just the one area

Old 06-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Would you be able to post the pic here?
My geographic tongue spot pretty much is isolated now (and I stress now) to the tip or the side. Originally, it was located more sporadically.

q

Old 06-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
(male)

dextere HB User

Hi Quincy,
for the most part, it went away.
I saw 3 different doctors (including a dentist), in one week and none of them could really make it out.

Strange how these things happen, then no one can really diagnose the problem.

thank you for your replies, however.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi...curious if any of the doctors did a swab of it?

It's good it went away...sometimes we may tend to have sensitivities to some things and not realise what we've touched our tongues with such as different toothpaste, certain flavours of gum (cinnamon my tongue doesn't like), licking fingers, popsicles or ice cream, spicy or flavoured foods, even hair products or lotions, etc.

Regardless...keep a mental note of how many times you put your fingers in your mouth...even to wet for turning a page..etc.

But, the next time it does happen, ask the doc to do a swab.

I use Orajel for Mouth Sores (it's the one that has zinc in it)...it can help in the healing.

q

Old 06-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
(male)

dextere HB User

no, no swab because he couldn't see it.
i'm just relieved that it went away on it's own.

thanks for the replies.

Reply Reply