It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
(male)

BBQchips HB User
Severe Ringing/Popping in ear -antibiotics not working

About 3 weeks ago my left ear began to ring (almost sounded like there was a cricket in the ear). It started out as a sporadic thing (a few times a day), but by the end of the first week it was almost non-stop. There was not any pain like when you encounter an ear infection, but the ringing became so distracting I went to the doctor. They prescribed amoxycylin but after 4 days the ringing actually became worse. When I tilt my head to either side of the pillow the ringing becomes deafening. I went back and the doctor put me on stronger antibiotics, Augmentin. It has been 7 days on the stronger dose and the ringing has gotten even more frequent still, along with the occasional popping noises. I have been taking a 12 hour nasal decongestant along with the antibiotics but nothing seems to help. The ringing is so bad that I have been getting only a few hours of sleep at night. Again there is no pain associated with this, just the constant ringing/popping sounds. I have not encountered any discharge from the ear but it feels like there is fluid. If this were an infection, i would think the antibiotics and decongestants would have at least lessened the ringing.

I had a history of frequent ear infections as a child in this same left ear (multiple ruptured ear drums, and tubes when i was an infant).

Any ideas as to what other actions besides antibiotics/decongestants i should use, as well as what could be the underlying problem would be appreciated. I have been struggling with the ringing for over 3 weeks and i could desperately use some quiet sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply