It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
(female)

Illusion123a HB User
ETD- first time poster, help needed for second ENT visit

Hello,

My ear problems started 10 years ago when I was 22. I remember swimming in a pool, diving and experiencing a lot of ear pressure. I woke up the next morning with very bad ear pain in both my ears. I didn't have health insurance, so I went to a local urgent care place. They diagnosed me with Baratroma (sp?) and told me to take sudafed till they popped. Both ear popped later that evening.

Since then I have occasionally had ear pain, which was far worse in my left ear. I could go almost a whole year without anything in the beginning. But it has before more reoccurring. Its not a horrific pain, more of a consistent hallow pain, maybe a 4 on a 10 pain scale. I eventually went to the doctor a few years ago and was told I had ETD- most likley due to allergies.

Fast forward till this March- I finally visited a ENT- he scopped my nose (nothing significant seen), tested my hearing (perfect), then preformed a myrinotomy (all left ear), and didn't get much fluid out. And suggested tubes and allergy treatment. During the two weeks between that any my follow up, I didn't have the pain and pressure, BUT I was miserable because my right ear felt like it had more pressure and my hearing was off in both ears.

Follow up- my ear healed fine, but he sent me to get allergy tested. turned out, after almost 5 years of taking allergy meds to "treat" my ETD, I am not Allergic to ANYTHING- not even pollen. His nurse called and said to keep taking the flonase (which I don't think helped much anyway, and I stopped).

Well here I am 3 months later- have another ENT appt next week, and my ear hurts worse then ever (pain and pressure), I have also started to feel dizzy and experience slight pain/pressure in the middle top of my head and forehead. Yet I am NOT congested at all- I have never even had a sinus infection. I am less talkative because of the weird feelings- I am normally very outgoing- this is really killing my spirit.

Do any of you have help for me? I think he is going to suggest tubes, which I am against after reading the stories here. On the other hand this is driving me crazy. It seems like there is no cause of my ETD. Anything I should ask my ENT? I am going to get a second opinion, pending my next appointment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply