It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
(female)

Lola143 HB User
Is it worth it to get my tonsils out?

I'm an 18 year old girl and my pediatrician always went on about how big my tonsils were but he told my parents I didn't have to have them removed unless I had a lot of sore throats.
Sore throats aren't my problem. Lately, I've been getting things stuck in what seems like my tonsils. I'll eat certain foods and I can feel something lodged in my tonsils and it lasts for about 2 days. This never has happened before.
Also, when I lay down to sleep or even sit down, it feels like I have no airway to breathe through. I'm not sure if it's my tongue, but it feels like something is blocking my breathing.
Otherwise, I hardly have sore throats or even strep.
I hear it's a long healing process when you're an adult so is it even worth it to get them removed at my age? Also, do you think this breathing issue is because of the tonsils or tongue? Thanks!

Old 06-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
(male)

MikeZero25 HB User
Re: Is it worth it to get my tonsils out?

I just got my tonsils and adenoids out this Monday (6/24/2013). I'm 17 (almost 18), male. Those things your talking about are called tonsil stones, you must have dents in your tonsils which build up food. Your tonsils are also probably whats causing your breathing problems but I couldn't say for sure, I doubt its your tongue. Let me tell you, its very painful afterwards but you better get it done now before your older when it will hurt even more. I know its scary but the surgery isn't that bad, its just the recovery which takes about two weeks. I wish you the best of luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Is it worth it to get my tonsils out?

Yes it is worth it to get them removed. You are in a downward spiral of problems with them and they are just going to get worse. Go on and have them out. You'll be glad you did. I sure was!

Reply Reply