It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
(male)

Marco21 HB User
Tonsils removed help!

Hey ppl , my names Marc I'm 21..
I'm going to get my tonsils removed this friday thank god iv been waiting over 3months can't wait to get them out.. Just was looking for abit of advice how to deal with the aftermath of d operation , also was just wondering if anyone had has like a tight feeling in there throat or breathing sometimes breathing difficulties in anyway..
I'm new to this it's good way to talk to ppl with similar issues,
Hope to hear from use thanks

Old 07-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
(male)

MikeZero25 HB User
Re: Tonsils removed help!

Hey Marc, I got my tonsils out a week ago. I have a lot of advice Id be happy to share. Make sure you have a comfortable chair to sleep in, I ended up renting one for a couple of weeks. Force yourself to DRINK LOTS OF ICE WATER so you don't end up in the hospital with an IV in your arm like I did. Stay away from milk products (like ice cream) which create phlegm. Try to cough up the mucus, I haven't seen anyone suggest this and it helps a lot. Don't look in the back of your throat until your completely comfortable with it, your uvula will probably be huge but its nothing to worry about as long as you can breathe okay. Some people suggest warm food like soup, I'd stay away from it because it can cause blood clots (which will freak you out). Buy a humidifier, they do help. Make sure you take deep breathes every now and then, fill your lungs up so you don't get pneumonia like I did. Take the pain med only when you absolutely need it, which will be at night more than likely. My first week was hell, but its looking up now. I'm on day 1 of week 2 and everything's healing. My uvula is still swelled but I can swallow easier. If you have any questions feel free to ask. And if your nervous about the actual surgery, don't be. It was my first surgery and it was nothing. I wasn't in pain when I woke up, or when I went home. The first couple days aren't that bad. The recovery is what sucks but its for the best to get them out, especially if your having problems breathing. Good luck!

Last edited by MikeZero25; 07-01-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
(male)

Marco21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZero25 View Post
Hey Marc, I got my tonsils out a week ago. I have a lot of advice Id be happy to share. Make sure you have a comfortable chair to sleep in, I ended up renting one for a couple of weeks. Force yourself to DRINK LOTS OF ICE WATER so you don't end up in the hospital with an IV in your arm like I did. Stay away from milk products (like ice cream) which create phlegm. Try to cough up the mucus, I haven't seen anyone suggest this and it helps a lot. Don't look in the back of your throat until your completely comfortable with it, your uvula will probably be huge but its nothing to worry about as long as you can breathe okay. Some people suggest warm food like soup, I'd stay away from it because it can cause blood clots (which will freak you out). Buy a humidifier, they do help. Make sure you take deep breathes every now and then, fill your lungs up so you don't get pneumonia like I did. Take the pain med only when you absolutely need it, which will be at night more than likely. My first week was hell, but its looking up now. I'm on day 1 of week 2 and everything's healing. My uvula is still swelled but I can swallow easier. If you have any questions feel free to ask. And if your nervous about the actual surgery, don't be. It was my first surgery and it was nothing. I wasn't in pain when I woke up, or when I went home. The first couple days aren't that bad. The recovery is what sucks but its for the best to get them out, especially if your having problems breathing. Good luck!

Cheers mike for replying, what age are you ? sounds like its well worth it then, just a bit nervous but as long I am knocked out I don't really mind ,what's an Iv mike? I was looking forward to the ice cream diet too big fan but I will take your advice lol.. Thanks for that man it was really helpful because I don't know anyone who has got them out recently.. Yeah usually have problems when I'm laying down or even like a tightness in my throat not all the time .. They say its a 14 day recovery.. It will fly in mate u have a week to go be worth it in the end up , what r do you eat and drink mate? Thanks
Speak soon ..

Old 07-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
(male)

MikeZero25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco21 View Post
Cheers mike for replying, what age are you ? sounds like its well worth it then, just a bit nervous but as long I am knocked out I don't really mind ,what's an Iv mike? I was looking forward to the ice cream diet too big fan but I will take your advice lol.. Thanks for that man it was really helpful because I don't know anyone who has got them out recently.. Yeah usually have problems when I'm laying down or even like a tightness in my throat not all the time .. They say its a 14 day recovery.. It will fly in mate u have a week to go be worth it in the end up , what r do you eat and drink mate? Thanks
Speak soon ..
I'm 17 years old, almost 18 but my tonsils were huge and infected so I figured it'd be as painful as an adults. IV is the needle thing they put in your arm at the hospital, I ended up getting dehydrated from not drinking so they had to put fluids into me. You can always try ice cream, everyone's different. I'm on day 8 and its a lot better then the last few days. It is about a 14 day recovery, hopefully I can eat some pizza soon lol. I eat scrambled eggs and drink lots of ice water and ice tea (unsweetened). I ate lots of popsicles the first few days but I'm sick of them now. Another tip is to take Tylenol (not ibuprofen) for your average pain, you might like the pain med they prescribe you at first but trust me you'll want to stop taking it after a week. I'm not going to lie, its really painful and uncomfortable at times. A week seems a lot slower when your in pain but it will be worth it in the long run. Make sure you keep your mouth and throat moist throughout the day and night. I also don't know anyone who has got them out recently or at my age so I'm trying to help people, try not to read all the horror stories online. If you have any more questions now or after surgery feel free to ask me, I'll try to check this once a day.

Reply Reply