It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
(female)

amw1234 HB User
Tonsillectomy recovery

I had my tonsils out July 2nd so I'm almost 72 hrs post op... The day of the surgery wasn't bad at all, I was I'm very little pain and thought "wow this isn't that bad". Wednesday was worse but got better as the day went on, I drink a lot of fluids and have eaten eggs and jello... Thursday (today) morning I woke up in the worst pain I've ever been in! I couldn't swallow, my tongue was swollen, my ears and head hurt so bad! And I couldn't even get my liquid pain meds down because it was so hard to swallow (kept going down the wrong way). At around 1230 today my mom (I'm 24 and she's here helping take care of me) called my dr. He gave me more meds (ketorolac and prednisone) to take along with the lortab. They seemed to help a lot! Tonight I'm feeling much better and was able to drink and eat pasta... Now my question is how many days are usually excruciating? I've heard day 2-3 are the worst so I'm hoping I won't have another day like earlier today! Seems to be much worse after sleep and I usually wake up coughing. What should I expect over the next week or so?

Old 07-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
(male)

MikeZero25 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy recovery

The week after surgery will be hell, at least it was for me. Just like you the day of my surgery wasn't bad at all, days 3 to 7 were pretty horrible for me. I had a very hard time swallowing too, but you have to force yourself to drink so you don't end up in the hospital like I did for dehydration. A word of advice would be to sleep in a chair, make sure your heads elevated which I'm sure your already doing. Also wake yourself up during the night to drink, you might be in more pain when you wake up because your throats dry. I got my tonsils out on the 24th of last month and I'm still recovering. It takes 2 to 3 weeks to recover but week 1 is the worse. A humidifier might help you too. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask, I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck!

Last edited by MikeZero25; 07-05-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply