It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
(female)

melissa1993 HB User
My Tonsillectomy Experience - 19 y.o :)

Hello everyone, I thought I'd add to the amass of tonsillectomy stories there are on the internet! I'm a 19 year old female, and I'm already on day 8, but I've been writing about my experience on Microsoft Word so I'll copy and paste it onto here.
Basically I got my tonsils out due to tonsil stones, tonsillitis and obstruction. Tonsil stones were manageable, but gross when they did decide to bother me, I'd cough up stinky gunk in random places which was embarrassing. Tonsillitis, I was blessed with about 3-4 times a years, which again was manageable, but in 2013, I managed to get 5 bouts from January to June. Also, my tonsils were huge, I wish I'd taken a before picture, but essentially they just looked/were swollen constantly and obstructed my breathing, making me snore and also speak with a very slight impediment (you wouldn't notice until I pointed it out).

I had my tonsils out on the 28th June 2013, down in Ashford, Kent UK - which was 5 hours away from where I am staying in the Summer, due to NHS bureaucracy rules I couldn't have a transfer so had to have a very long car journey back!

In my next post I'll post my experience days 1-8! I do ramble on, but hopefully it's all relevant for someone, as i found personal experiences on the internet very reassuring and helpful, and I have had a few complications which others may have

Old 07-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
(female)

melissa1993 HB User
Re: My Tonsillectomy Experience - 19 y.o :)

Day 1:
Woke up from the operation, there was quite a bit of pain which is expected after part of your body has been cut out. Nurse gave me lots of morphine which made me absolutely painless for a few hours, and very sleepy. Later on, started to feel a little pain, but just felt like I had a sore throat - managed some jelly though. I drank at least 3 jugs of water - as the only problem was feeling dehydrated every minute because of the scabs. I didn't sleep too well, had to be woken by nurses and doctors for routine blood pressure tests and to be given painkillers. It seems a blur now though because of all the drugs! All I can say is that, it was rather painless, just uncomfortable - I was worried because a lot of people say it's the worst day Pain: 2/10

Day 2:
Woke up with a very dry throat and some ear pain, sorted by codeine and ibuprofen very quickly. Swallowing is a lot more uncomfortable, but very manageable - however, I have essentially lost my voice, and all I can do is speak in whispers and it aches to even do that, so I'm not talking and just gesturing and writing! Still, minimal pain, I'm more dizzy and a little nauseous, I am anticipating a lot more pain to come mind you! Feels like a very mild case of tonsillitis today, which I am used to so I don't count it as painful! Was made to eat a banana in the morning by the hospital, had some more jelly and soup with a little toast later on. Wasn't expecting to be able to eat this well to be honest. Pain: 2/10

Day 3:
Today felt extreme nausea, couldn't bring myself to eat anything all day apart from toast which I subsequently threw up, which is very abnormal for me, I never throw up from illness, the last time I did was 5 years ago before this so watch out... Felt too dizzy and fatigued to do anything, just layed on my sofa all day drifting in and out of sleep. Pain wasn't too bad, little more than 1 & 2, but my main concern was the nausea I was feeling. Pain: 4/10

Day 4-5:
Nothing of interest happened on either days, just moderate pain, no nausea though. Feeling very dizzy still and spending most of my time snoozing and staring at the ceiling, I can't concentrate on TV etc. because I just feel so terrible, not generally in loads and loads of pain, but just completely drained and rubbish not being able to walk around without feeling tired and not being able to talk is really frustrating. Pain: 4-6

Day 6:
Today I had to go to A&E because I started spitting up blood at about 4:00pm and it didn't stop. I was admitted to hospital overnight, made to use hydrogen peroxide mouthwash too. The overnight stay was horrible, firstly because I was on a very noisy ward, and secondly because I woke up in severe pain. I had been given mere paracetamols for my 7/10 pain earlier on in the day because 'i hadn't been prescribed anything else'. I woke up to 10/10 pain after 30 mins of actually being able to sleep at about 2:30AM. I writhing in pain and crying and had to demand strong painkillers - it was the worst pain I have experience in my life so far (surpassing a severe kidney infection which used to have the top spot). I had a morphine based painkiller given to me eventually which subsided my pain until the morning. The pain was just awful though, my tonsil beds were throbbing, my tongue was burning and worst of all, my ears felt like someone had shoved a screwdriver in and out of my ear drums until they were on the verge of exploding - it was so awful I felt like screaming. Pain: 7-10

Day 7:
Woke up after 4 hours sleep from the night before, the morphine based painkiller did it's job until about 11AM - again, they insisted on giving me a paracetamol. After whinging, I got my prescription changed to co-codamol after an hour... which still, you can buy over counter, but couldn't have it until I ate. I had about half a small bowl of tomato soup until I started coughing up blood clots… which got worse, the most horrifying moment was when a clot, at least 2.5 inches in circumference came up. I started crying and panicking which made everything worse, however I was told this was NORMAL (for the 2% this happens to), there was no fresh blood only old clotted blood and scabbing - I wasn't convinced, so just cried more. However, I was told I must be kept in for another night, but was transferred to a better hospital where I had my own room rather than being on a ward (I hate being around people and noise when I'm ill so it was my worst nightmare being on the noisy ward). I was spitting blood for a while after the clot incident but it died down later. I was told I had a minor infection, so I now have antibiotics for it. Might I add, after the clot incident, the horrible smell and taste in my throat have FINALLY gone away, my parents told me that it was really foul and was stinking out rooms so I'm glad I don't smell and things actually taste normal-ish again! I ate some toast later on and slept very well in the hospital also I can finally talk rather than whisper! Pain: 4-9 (pain died down the later it got)

Day 8:
It's been exactly a week since my tonsillectomy, but I count this as the eighth day because my surgery was early and I have suffered for pretty much 8 days! This must be the 3rd least painful day, or maybe it just seems so after the ordeal I've had for past few days and the amount of painkillers I've taken. Managed to get discharged from hospital, left with antibiotics, codeine, mouthwash and more ibrufen. Only spat up minimal blood today which was old blood anyways so it was normal. I've eaten the most today that I've done the whole week, full turkey sandwich, a yogurt and a slice and half of pizza. Swallowing and talking has become easier, it's great being able to talk again even if I do sound very strange! Finally took a look at my tonsils, there is a little white but mostly pink from what I can see which I suppose is a good sign! I can actually bring myself to walk round now, neck isn't swollen and I don't feel so fatigued and weak so I'm feeling the most normal I have done since the operation! I really really hope this is a sign of things getting better Pain: 2-5

Day 9
Pain seems to be concentrating on the right side of my mouth and ear, however, it's definitely improving. Cutting down on my painkillers too and haven't noticed a huge difference. Still trouble swallowing and talking properly, but apart from that everything seems to be improving. Looked at the back of my mouth my left side looks pretty pinkish/little red and like it's really on the way to healing, the right hand side is still a little whitish though. I feel well on the way to recovery though - I have a trip booked for a week today so I am pretty sure I'll be recovered for that Pain: 2-4

Day 10
Woke up in minor pain, due to not drinking anything all night (mornings are worst) - more like a sore throat. Still trouble swallowing, but drank my first fizzy drink today and it didn't hurt or feel uncomfortable. Throughout the day felt pretty much normal, planning to make my first outing since the tonsillectomy tomorrow as I finally feel well enough. Once side of mouth is still a little swollen and a little whitish. Cut down drastically on the pain meds, only taken 3 codeine tablets spread throughout the day. Pain: 1-2

Last edited by melissa1993; 07-07-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
(female)

melissa1993 HB User

Day 6:
Today I had to go to A&E because I started spitting up blood at about 4:00pm and it didn't stop. I was admitted to hospital overnight, made to use hydrogen peroxide mouthwash too. The overnight stay was horrible, firstly because I was on a very noisy ward, and secondly because I woke up in severe pain. I had been given mere paracetamols for my 7/10 pain earlier on in the day because 'i hadn't been prescribed anything else'. I woke up to 10/10 pain after 30 mins of actually being able to sleep at about 2:30AM. I writhing in pain and crying and had to demand strong painkillers - it was the worst pain I have experience in my life so far (surpassing a severe kidney infection which used to have the top spot). I had a morphine based painkiller given to me eventually which subsided my pain until the morning. The pain was just awful though, my tonsil beds were throbbing, my tongue was burning and worst of all, my ears felt like someone had shoved a screwdriver in and out of my ear drums until they were on the verge of exploding - it was so awful I felt like screaming. Pain: 7-10

Day 7:
Woke up after 4 hours sleep from the night before, the morphine based painkiller did it's job until about 11AM - again, they insisted on giving me a paracetamol. After whinging, I got my prescription changed to co-codamol after an hour... which still, you can buy over counter, but couldn't have it until I ate. I had about half a small bowl of tomato soup until I started coughing up blood clots… which got worse, the most horrifying moment was when a clot, at least 2.5 inches in circumference came up. I started crying and panicking which made everything worse, however I was told this was NORMAL (for the 2% this happens to), there was no fresh blood only old clotted blood and scabbing - I wasn't convinced, so just cried more. However, I was told I must be kept in for another night, but was transferred to a better hospital where I had my own room rather than being on a ward (I hate being around people and noise when I'm ill so it was my worst nightmare being on the noisy ward). I was spitting blood for a while after the clot incident but it died down later. I was told I had a minor infection, so I now have antibiotics for it. Might I add, after the clot incident, the horrible smell and taste in my throat have FINALLY gone away, my parents told me that it was really foul and was stinking out rooms so I'm glad I don't smell and things actually taste normal-ish again! I ate some toast later on and slept very well in the hospital also I can finally talk rather than whisper! Pain: 4-9 (pain died down the later it got)

Day 8:
It's been exactly a week since my tonsillectomy, but I count this as the eighth day because my surgery was early and I have suffered for pretty much 8 days! This must be the 3rd least painful day, or maybe it just seems so after the ordeal I've had for past few days and the amount of painkillers I've taken. Managed to get discharged from hospital, left with antibiotics, codeine, mouthwash and more ibrufen. Only spat up minimal blood today which was old blood anyways so it was normal. I've eaten the most today that I've done the whole week, full turkey sandwich, a yogurt and a slice and half of pizza. Swallowing and talking has become easier, it's great being able to talk again even if I do sound very strange! Finally took a look at my tonsils, there is a little white but mostly pink from what I can see which I suppose is a good sign! I can actually bring myself to walk round now, neck isn't swollen and I don't feel so fatigued and weak so I'm feeling the most normal I have done since the operation! I really really hope this is a sign of things getting better Pain: 2-5

Old 07-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
(female)

melissa1993 HB User

Day 11-12
To be honest, I'm almost back to normal again, I'm off my pain meds and doing normal things. Don't wake up in pain, it's only like having a bit of a raw throat - otherwise it is not bothering me. All the gunk from back of my throat is gone, just looks pinkish now.
Only thing is my taste, everything tastes quite bland. I finally managed to eat some crisps, previously my guilty pleasure, and they were really meh along with everything else I've eaten since the operation. Hopefully my taste will come back soon. Also my voice isn't completely normal, sounds a little stuffy still.

All in all, I don't think it's necessary to post anymore days after this, as I'm pretty much better now and my pain is finally at a consistent zero. Apart from my hospital experience I don't think the operation was too bad - I haven't really managed to see the benefits just as it still feels unnatural not to have two swollen tonsils in my mouth and obviously I'm not 100% healed.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
(male)

MikeZero25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa1993 View Post
Day 11-12
To be honest, I'm almost back to normal again, I'm off my pain meds and doing normal things. Don't wake up in pain, it's only like having a bit of a raw throat - otherwise it is not bothering me. All the gunk from back of my throat is gone, just looks pinkish now.
Only thing is my taste, everything tastes quite bland. I finally managed to eat some crisps, previously my guilty pleasure, and they were really meh along with everything else I've eaten since the operation. Hopefully my taste will come back soon. Also my voice isn't completely normal, sounds a little stuffy still.

All in all, I don't think it's necessary to post anymore days after this, as I'm pretty much better now and my pain is finally at a consistent zero. Apart from my hospital experience I don't think the operation was too bad - I haven't really managed to see the benefits just as it still feels unnatural not to have two swollen tonsils in my mouth and obviously I'm not 100% healed.
Its been 2 weeks and 2 days since surgery and I still get that taste too, pretty miserable.

Last edited by MikeZero25; 07-10-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
(female)

melissa1993 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZero25 View Post
Its been 2 weeks and 2 days since surgery and I still get that taste too, pretty miserable.
My taste isn't too bad, what kind of taste are you having? Some people describe that rotting flesh taste which luckily I shifted last week but mine is kind of an aftertaste of what I can only describe as dust. When I'm eating things they don't seem to be of like full taste, everything tastes like a cheap imitation if you know what I mean? Diet Coke, which I used to love, tastes like what I'd get from a dispenser at McDonalds or something.

By the way, I was just wondering how you feel now post-surgery? I've looked through loads of posts on the internet and I seemed to have healed suspiciously quickly - no pain, and I don't even feel tired like most people report at even 2 weeks post op.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
(male)

MikeZero25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa1993 View Post
My taste isn't too bad, what kind of taste are you having? Some people describe that rotting flesh taste which luckily I shifted last week but mine is kind of an aftertaste of what I can only describe as dust. When I'm eating things they don't seem to be of like full taste, everything tastes like a cheap imitation if you know what I mean? Diet Coke, which I used to love, tastes like what I'd get from a dispenser at McDonalds or something.

By the way, I was just wondering how you feel now post-surgery? I've looked through loads of posts on the internet and I seemed to have healed suspiciously quickly - no pain, and I don't even feel tired like most people report at even 2 weeks post op.
I only get the bad taste when I eat certain foods, 'rotting flesh taste' would be a good way to describe it lol. My tongues actually blackish in color, the ENT told me its from the antibiotics I was taking. He said eating yogurt would help with that. I feel pretty good this week, the first week was complete hell. I also ended up in the hospital, for dehydration and pneumonia. My uvula isn't a huge balloon anymore. I don't have any pain, my throat just feels sore after I eat or talk a lot. I haven't been tired either. I still have white stuff where my tonsils used to be but the ENT said I healed good. It just seems like you heal fast which is a good thing. Thanks for sharing your experience, feel free to ask me anything else.

Last edited by MikeZero25; 07-11-2013 at 07:25 AM.

Reply Reply