It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
(female)

peebles HB User
Functional cure for Tonsillitis

Hi everyone,

I have been posting in the Ears, Nose, and Throat section and the LPR section for a little while now, both posting my own experiences and listening and replying to other people's experiences and symptoms. I figure that because sharing knowledge is key... that I should come back to this forum once I had found something that helped my ailment.

Well it looks like I have functionally cured my tonsillitis for several months now... and it seems to be holding up which is quite the relief because my tonsil stone flare ups were getting so bad that I would have localized ear pain, redness, and burning in the affect area, sometimes lasting a full week. I found it distracting and depressing.

I am aware and comforted by the fact that I always have the *option* of undergoing a tonsillectomy (which is not without its risks) or laser therapy (burning away the crypts, less risk, but still not without downtime, not to mention where to find an ENT in my area who does this???) My general approach has always been to try baby steps first... while gradually moving up the scale of complexity and involvement. So naturally, in my mind, a tonsillectomy still seems far off... and that I owe it to myself to try the easier methods first.

By the ay, after looking at my partner's tonsils and my dad's tonsils, I totally realize just how much each individual tonsil varies... and his/her symptoms will vary as well. Tonsils are peculiar things and each of us have different folds, shapes, crevices to them. Some of us have a small one and one large one... some of us have huge tonsils, some just have flaps of skin!

Sorry for babbling.... onto my solution.... After about two months of failed attempts at using my newly purchased Waterpik to clear my tonsils of stones... it finally dawned on me... use a proper qtip cotton-swab to *push back* any folds to seek out a hidden crevice. Boom! I had found the hiding spot! It turns out my right tonsil has one particularly deep crevice or pocket that is prone to hiding tonsil stones (I suffer from new allergies and from post nasal drip and potential LPR). If I could irrigate this spot with salt water each day... it would help prevent the stones form ever forming. And well, so far, so good. Anytime I feel a tickle, or miss a few days of proper oral hygiene, I bring out the Waterpik, a name brand Qtip, and a magnifying mirror with a light. I am able to clearly see the folds that hide the crevice... using the swab allows me to push back the fold, reveal the pit, and start cleaning. Two stones will pop out. They are small but they sure can irritate. So it feels great when you push them out the door.

I suspect many of you suffering from tonsil issues know what I am talking about... and even if you have poked and prodded at your tonsils with fingers or your own tool of choice, I urge you to give a Water flosser a try. I recommend starting at the lowest setting and allowing yourself lots of time to get familiar with your tonsil shape and check for any flap or fold VERY VERY gently. You may uncover the root of the problem. You can always opt for surgery or laser at a later date. But a flosser can be added to your nightly regimen, say after brushing, and perhaps it will never progress to full blown tonsillitis again. Remember to use a qtip and lightly swab the tonsil, make sure to smell the end of the swab, if it smells funky, you STILL have not found the hiding spot. I realize some people have stones further down and you be unable to reach there. The Waterpik won't be of any use then... other than for flossing your teeth. But for those of us who have stones closer to the surface, this is for you.

Anyway, I will be damn glad if my story helps even ONE person out there. I know how crappy this issue can be.

Best regards,
the peebler elf ;-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
stones, tonsillectomy, tonsillitis, tonsils, waterpik