It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
(female)

tinnc HB User
Feeling of something stuck in my throat

I have a feeling of something stuck in my throat at all times, it has been 8 months now. I have gone to an ENT and had two scopes and a CT scan, nothing found. Anyone else ever had this problem?

Also, I have had acid reflux for many many years and have been on prescription and OTC meds for many years, and it is under control right now with OTC meds. Haven't had a endoscopy done in probably 15 years though.

Just thought I would mention, because I have read in a few places the two might be related, but I'm skeptical, because I have been dealing with acid reflex, albeit controlled, for so long and never had this feeling in my throat.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

The following user gives a hug of support to tinnc:
MountainReader (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Feeling of something stuck in my throat

Sounds like it could be Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR). It is also called 'silent' reflux. Basically, the acid reflux makes it up past the upper esophageal sphincter and into the throat. Most of the time, without any type of heartburn or other 'traditional' GERD symptoms. That is why it is called silent. The throat isn't designed to handle the acid the way the esophagus is. The feeling of something being stuck is a common symptom of this.

Often, the acid is coming up in a gaseous form instead of liquid which is why you may not be feeling it. It could be that your reflux really isn't as under control as you think.

There are several kinds of testing that can be done to verify if reflux is your problem:
-A Modified Barium Swallow and Esophagram can actually detect any reflux making it all the way up to the mouth.
-A manometry can measure the strength of your esophageal sphincters.
-pH testing may help. There are a few kinds. Traditional pH tests have a probe placed above your lower esophageal sphincter for 24 hrs. There is a Bravo test that they clip into your esophagus for 24-48 hours. There is also a ResTech pH probe that is upper only and is placed above your UES. It is the only probe with the technology to measure the gaseous reflux.
-Upper Endoscopies can show any irritation or damage from your reflux. I've had 3 and they have all come back pretty normal. The other testing confirmed I had extremely severe GERD/LPR issues.
-ENT's may do a scope of your throat to look for irritation and swelling.

Typically for LPR, it takes PPI's twice a day to make much of a difference.

There is a lot of good information over on the Acid Reflux board.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
(female)

peebles HB User

Hello! I read your post and wanted to log in to say that I can certainly relate to your situation. MountainReader has posted an excellent reply that will even help me, as I am somewhere in the middle of solving this issue (hopefully). But lately it has been more like two steps forwards, three steps back. The important thing is to keep trying things and hopefully you will hit on something that works. For me, my globus is made worse by PND (Post Nasal Drip). So decongestants help somewhat... but because I also suffer from frequent tonsillitis... it tends to irritate my back tonsils and then I feel more run down and the sensation is quite noticeable.

Others on this forum have posted about this very problem. I suggest reading up on those. Many talk about a trigger that seemed to set off the sensation of something in the throat. Mine occurred approximately last September when I came down with a cold that did not stay for long but was quick and ruthless in its symptoms: temporary fever, extremely sore throat (I had to buy numbing spray), no coughing, but minor chills, headache, and this all went away after about a day. It was unusual enough to really stick in my mind as a triggering event. Anyway... long story short... ever since that day, I have had the worst PND (post nasal drip) and globus sensation. I had also an earlier episode in August before all this involving a really bad acid reflux attack (that I have never had before). I ate spicy food and went to lay down in bed (stupidly) immediately after and went to sleep... awoke later to reflux burning in my throat and along my esophagus. Globus sensation, or the feeling of something stuck in the throat, was present for several days after BUT resolved with ranitidine treatment right away. So I suspect acid reflux definitely plays a role. I had never had reflux previously but my mom has it bad... so after all this, and as per the advice of a doctor, I started taking a small ranitidine tablet, about 75mg worth, daily to prevent acid from coming up.

However, MountainReader makes an important point... it doesnt feel like acid splashing up but more like acidic gas or some burning fumes. Many have mentioned this on the forums and elsewhere.

For me though, I get burping and acidic fumes/gas. So LPR is probably the culprit.

Anyway... I have been terrible in getting to my primary GP as she is far away and I do not drive. But I will say this... it is mind blowing how many people share this complaint. I am starting to think that it is a *combination* of LPR, silent or otherwise, and possible nerve injury or increased nerve sensitivity along the esophagus. And minor irritation setting it off. I need to really get off my butt, talk to my GP, and fine myself a proper ENT to help solve this.

Thanks for sharing your story with us!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnc View Post
I have a feeling of something stuck in my throat at all times, it has been 8 months now. I have gone to an ENT and had two scopes and a CT scan, nothing found. Anyone else ever had this problem?

Also, I have had acid reflux for many many years and have been on prescription and OTC meds for many years, and it is under control right now with OTC meds. Haven't had a endoscopy done in probably 15 years though.

Just thought I would mention, because I have read in a few places the two might be related, but I'm skeptical, because I have been dealing with acid reflex, albeit controlled, for so long and never had this feeling in my throat.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Until a few years ago, I had no idea how much acid reflux can mimic or influence other conditions.

I have/used to have chronic severe allergy and sinus problems. I also had constant PND. I had major throat irritation and a chronic cough. All of these problems were attributed to the allergy and asthma problems I have for years. After I had surgery for my acid reflux in 2008, I went from having 4 sinus infections a year that lasted about 2 months each to having only one sinus infection in the last 5 years. While I'm still under allergy and asthma treatment, the significant difference in my sinus problems after the sinus surgery leads me to believe that I had the acid making it up to my sinuses for years and I didn't even know it. I also have had very few PND problems since the surgery also.

I will share that at my worst, I was on 4 allergy meds daily (2 pills and 2 nasal sprays), 3 asthma meds daily, 2 reflux meds daily and other emergency meds as needed. I was on prednisone and antibiotics frequently as well. Now, I'm on antibiotics less than once a year and haven't been on prednisone for a while now.

Now, I'm on one daily asthma med and one PPI. I'm off of all of the other meds all together.

Reply Reply