It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
(male)

SeanFerg HB User
Swollen tonsil, left side, no pain.

I am 28 years old, periodically from time to time since January of 2010 I have had my left tonsil swell, but no symptoms of any disease i have researched other than cancer (which seems only the case if its in the right tonsil?)

It does not hurt to swallow but my left ear does feel a tad plugged, as if by wax or water. There is also no pain in either ear when i swallow.

Every thread I have read mentions mono, tonsilitis, calcium crystals or cancer. I have the symptoms of none of these (assuming that i'm correct about the cancer only being in the right tonsil)

This did not start happening after a particularly bad cold or flu, nor am i sick now. there are no marks on my tonsil, no red dots, no white dots, no puss heads. In the past it has never turned out to be anything, it has simply gone away with time. I used to think it was allergies and took claritin believing it was clearing it up until after the last time this happened (within the last 6 months) i took claritin for a week and it did nothing.

The reason i ask about this after dealing with it on and off for 3 years is its really starting to affect my mental health dealing with the swelling and resulting hair-trigger gag reflex for days to weeks at a time until it goes away.
What i want is to know how to get this to stop happening without having my tonsils removed as (from what i understand, correct me if i'm wrong) tonsils appear to support the immune system.

I wont do it, but a part of me reallllly wants to just cut it out and be done with it. It honestly feels like i have a chunk of phlegm that just wont come up, and if i couldnt see the swollen tonsil with my own eyes i would believe it still.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, but please do not suggest it may be tonsilitis, mono or calcium crystals as i have ruled them out and am tired of reading on threads posted by other people with the same problem as me that it may be one of those three even with the lack of symptoms associated with the three. The only symptom i have is a swollen left tonsil, no visual irregularities aside from swelling, no pain in my throat or either ear, no discomfort aside from the gag reflex.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
(male)

greenone HB User
Re: Swollen tonsil, left side, no pain.

Just a guess, but I wouldn't rule out tonsil stones because some tonsil cavities can be deep and harbor stones and bacteria. You may also have some lingering bacteria in that tonsil from a past infection that keeps coming back? I'm no expert, but thought I would throw in a thought.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
(female)

zerani HB User

I have been having the same issue but with pain for over a yr. 9 times so far... not strep not tonsillitis, went to Kasier ER in september 2013 cause it was effecting my health... Was getting dizzy going upstairs almost fell.. the headaches i got... the sharp pains in that tonsil, etc.. Kasier didnt know.. -_- my Primary just didn't help me at all...
Im at a lost and would like to know too

Thank you!

Old 01-02-2014, 05:03 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Why not just have them out? You don't need them. And that would take care of all this!

Reply Reply