It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
(female)

alana20 HB User
Can you use olive oil in ear with perforation?

Hi......Daughter has suffered glue ear on off most of her life ...after grommets at 18yo her eardrums did not heal and is left with perforation...she has been discharged from the hospital and said she can go back if any probs....for the last 3 weeks or so she has lost a lot of hearing in one ear and went to the docs ...again they either give her drops or tell her to use olive oil....i wont let her do this as i fear it will go through the perforation into the middle ear surely this cannot be any good.....but is it ok ?? and as yet wont refer her back to hospital.... many thanks in advance

Old 09-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #2
(female)

LNA HB User
Re: Can you use olive oil in ear with perforation?

No u cannot put any kind of liquid in the ear if the ear drum has been perforated. It will make it soooo much worse and give you more issues. I too have suffered with this. They will heal on their own.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
(female)

alana20 HB User

Hi LNA
Just got her referral back to hospital, and am glad not to let her put anything in her ear......thanks for replying and backing up my thoughts..........now have a month wait for the appointment...she may have to have a graft to repair the hole....Many thanks hope u r k

Old 10-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

How long has your daughters grommet been out of her ear? I had a myringotomy three weeks ago to drain fluid from an ear infection. The slit where the ent made the incision is not healed yet. I'm concerned about it healing since it's been three weeks already. I've read some bad things about patching the eardrum. I have hearing loss but the ent said it should return to normal when the eardrum is healed. Not sure if I believe that. Does she have any hearing loss?

Old 10-10-2013, 05:10 AM   #5
(female)

alana20 HB User

Hi Marie

Her grommets have been out for about 3 years now and yes she does have hearing loss...she has just had her appointment on Monday and they want to patch her eardrum and straighten the inside of her nose...she had been advised to have it done before but along with that advice was a lot of negative...this put her off but equally cannot stand having this constant hearing loss due to non healing drums and thick catarrh... also along with it is lack of smell and taste...Hopefully for you its still early days and will heal ...the grommets made such a difference to her but this outcome has spoilt that....

she has just been prescribed ciloxan drops for her ears and when the infection has cleared will want to do the repair...but i am also concerned it will not work.

Reply Reply