It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
(male)

slh3410 HB User
Post-Op Tympanoplasty - Still feel air?

I underwent a tympanoplasty operation 2 days ago. I had a ~90% perforation before the surgery. I would regularly experience the feeling that air was rushing through a tiny hole in my ear while breathing, especially through my nose.

Well, it still feels like this same open air system since the surgery and this has me paranoid. I still feel air movement somewhere in my ear while inhaling. Of everything I've read on post-op tympanoplasty, people describe all of the sensations I'm experiencing except for this one. My doctor gave me a standoffish "let's wait and see" response, citing that the packing would prevent him from taking a look anyways (which I'm sure is true, but he couldn't reassure me that the feeling is normal).

Can anyone that's had a tympanoplasty recall similar experiences? I've been taking shallow breaths trying to avoid the sensation, and I'm left worried that this time/money investment will be for nothing.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
(female)

Marie 67 HB User
Re: Post-Op Tympanoplasty - Still feel air?

I'm experiencing something just about like this. I had a myringotomy four weeks ago and the slit isn't healed yet. This scares me. I have the air and vibration thing. Can this procedure be done with local anesthetic? I know that it doesn't work sometimes. Is this your first surgery? How did all this happen?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

Can you tell me about your tympanoplasty? I would really like to get some information about it. How it's done and how successful they are. Do you feel any different than two months ago?

Old 01-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
(male)

slh3410 HB User

Hi Marie. I can certainly tell you about my surgery, but I'm no expert.

According to my doctor, tympanoplasties have a very high success rate. I doubt the procedure could be done with local anesthetic. They take a skin graft from behind your ear to use as a patch. They also operate from behind the eardrum as well (which used to require partial deconstruction of your ear). The scar left behind is impossible to notice even with short hair. It's very small and just above the base of where my ear connects.

The air travel I mentioned in my first post was indeed still a perforation. The hole wasn't just immediately sealed off during surgery, it required a while to heal. During my second post-op visit the doctor confirmed that it looks really good now. I haven't felt any air travel like I initially described since probably two weeks after my surgery. There is still a "pinpoint hole" but I'm told it's a perfectly acceptable outcome. He said I won't have to worry about air travel or swimming with such a small hole and that it may even still heal up fully.

I don't notice the pinpoint hole whatsoever. I can however still tell that it was operated on recently during strenuous activity (only heavy lifting really). It just feels like a lot of pressure building up. I guess it takes a while to really toughen up!

Overall I do feel much better than I did going into the surgery. I was pretty used to the hole after years and years but now I can't possibly imagine going back to the way it was. The best part is that I took a hearing test last month and my hearing is almost perfect again.

Sorry that got long! I also wanted to mention that another option for some people is a "paper patch" operation that is outpatient and doesn't require a skin graft.

Last edited by slh3410; 01-14-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
(male)

slh3410 HB User

Wow, and I still didn't answer all your questions. I'll be quick.

-I had ear tubes as a child. One left a hole in my right ear which got huge over time.

-This is my second tympanoplasty. The first one worked as well, leaving the 'pinpoint hole', but as I grew the hole grew. Now that I'm an adult it should stick!

Good luck.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

How did you come to have a 90% perforation before surgery? What happened to cause this?

Reply Reply