It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
(male)

FallenPartner HB User
Strep Throat or Oral Cancer or Paranoia? Please Help.

27, male, in good shape, drink and smoke socially - - - About 2 weeks ago I started feeling 'not myself'. Not sick, technically, but noticed a couple dark spots on the roof of mouth and was tired throughout the entire week. Went to the doctor last sunday, the 25th, she prescribed me Augementin, took throat culture, called me Wednesday and told me I had strep. But it has been two full weeks and I am not myself fully yet and the spots haven't gone away yet. I just get really paranoid cause I have had mono and lyme disease and strep, but I've never had strep for this long. Never have I ever felt at any point 'very sick', I've just been very achy, tired, sleeping a lot at night, and I feel weak. My throat doesn't even hurt hardly and it never has which makes me doubt the strep diagnosis, but would my doctor lie?? I worked from home for the entire week last week, went to the doctor Friday again as a follow-up (2 days ago). She prescribed me Prednisone which I've been taking. She also took blood from me, called me yesterday morning and told me she doesn't see anything from the blood tests - lyme, white blood cell count, etc. I'm scared because I feel like I should have gotten better by now. Every day I feel like I am making about 3% progress. Hard to explain. Scared that the spots in my mouth mean oral cancer. I've just been confined to my apartment for basically the last week as I try to get better. She said if I don't feel like myself again in a couple of days, to see an infectious disease doctor or ear, nose, throat doctor. What do you think? Anyone ever experience something similar? (haven't drank or smoke in 2 weeks, by the way - since I started feeling ill)

Thanks so much for taking the time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2013, 03:17 AM   #2
(female)

LNA HB User
Re: Strep Throat or Oral Cancer or Paranoia? Please Help.

Hello,

I would start by not stressing as its making your symptoms worse. I really dont think you have mouth cancer, I think you are suffering from a stubborn throat infection that simply did not go away with the first antibiotic that you used, because sometimes the bacteria becomes resistant and you need another one to fight off what hasnt yet died.
Its normal that you feel tired and achy and unwell, because thats what infections do to us mere mortals. U will continue to feel tired probably after the infection has cleared too. U could also be feeling ****** because of the antibiotics. Remember that the antibiotic has killed not just the bad guys, but the good guys too that actually keep you healthy, so u need to start to take a probiotic.

Im in a similar situation however my issue is with my sinuses. This infection just wont go away causing me terrible migraines and now I need a CT scan. I was also on the same antibiotic as you and it did nothing, so now i have to take Klacid.

Be patient and dont be paranoid. It never helps. I know when i stress and think the worst i tend to feel even more horrible. xx

Reply Reply