It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013, 03:45 AM   #1
(female)

LNA HB User
I'm so depressed with pain, please help.

Hello everyone
Thank you for reading. Im at my wits end and here is my story...

7 weeks ago I got sick with the flu, which resulted in a sinus infection, which then brought on 2 perforated ear drums and ear infections in both ears. The pain was unbearable but ears have cleared up, however the one constant that will NOT GO AWAY is this sinus infection and blockage. I have green mucus when I blow my nose that is thick accompanied with blood.

I saw an ENT and he gave me oral antibiotics with a steroid. The steroid I stopped cause it was giving me side effects and the antibiotics did nothing at all to help me. Now i am left house bound, with SEVERE everyday sinus migrains that make my head throb every time i move, bend down or lay down, with pain above my eye, my eye socket and forehead. The pain is unbearable and makes me cry. I cant leave the house, attend to my 3 yr old son or work. I am living on pain relief like Neurofen and panadol but for how long before my liver kills me?

I have another appt with my ENT on the 20th of this month but I cant bare these migrains anymore. Ive never dealt with this before and its killing me.

I have tried everything from drinking Cayenne Pepper to Saline spray and nothing is working for me. I have been subscribed yet another antiobiotic but I feel I will be taking it for nothing.

Please i need help. I need suggestions or something cause I cant live like this anymore. Im depressing everyone around me and its not fair on them either. Please help.

Elle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
(male)

mcd888 HB User
Re: I'm so depressed with pain, please help.

Hello,
Try a Neti-pot with a little added table salt (just a small dash of salt in addition to the packet that comes with it). Do this 3-4 times a day. It sounds like you have a viral infection, and this takes time to overcome (3-7 days or so)

And pray! God always answers prayers.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #3
(female)

LNA HB User

Thanks for writing back to me.

Ive actually been sick with this for several weeks and these migraines are killing me. Im a little bit scared to try the whole neti pot thing cause i have heard horror stories of bacteria from the water getting into the brain.

I have to take more antibiotics now and a steroid spray

Old 09-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
(male)

mcd888 HB User

Just use bottled water...you'll be fine!!

Old 09-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
(female)

KamiR HB User

If you're worried about the Neti pot, you can always boil the water first. I do the Neti pot regularly, and use water that has been through RO and a carbon filter. I've done this for years.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

I had a sinus infection at the end of June. I got an ear infection with effusion from it and had to have my ear drained yesterday after 10 weeks of suffering. I was in such turmoil I was praying for death to get some relief since it had gone on for so long. It has caused me to obsess about this as I'm afraid that the fluid will build back up again since especially he didn't put a tube in. I'm scarred to death because I have heard that this often happens. I would want to get a culture of the mucus that is draining from your sinuses if I were you. I have been reading about antibiotic resistance and what worked for infections 10 years ago is no longer effective today if you happen to have a resistant type which it sounds like you could unless you have some underlying problem which I doubt since you say it all started from an infection just like mine did. The first ent that I went to wouldn't do anything for the fluid on my ear and even told me that it wasn't there! Believe it or not she said, "Keep it in perspective, you don't have a tumor and your no deaf". What a nice thing to say to someone that has fluid behind there ear (for over a month at that time) and is wanting some help. She thought that I was a nutcase because my ear was driving me crazy. I've been reading alot about depression and anxiety problems with people that have ear problems. I think the two are directly related as I have never been like this before.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

SoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB User
Cool Re: I'm so depressed with pain, please help.

I urge that you drop dairy, sugars (they tend to trigger mucuous buildup, not so great when you're tackling a serious sinus infection). As to bacteria status: Green represents out of control, white equals dying, and clear/translucent mucuous represents the infection's pretty much clearing up nicely (but of course, always take antibiotics until the endpoint).

The neti-pot suggestion (snorting dilute, warm saline solution to rinse out your sinuses) might be helpful. If you're really worried about water bacteria (is that a problem in your area?), you could first boil for ten minutes, then cool the water down.

sf

editted to add: while lying down, head posture might assist 'draining' fluid buildup into your throat for swallowing (at worst, your stomach will feel nauseous), while on your side propping your head somewhat back towards upright (merely 20 degrees?, halfway back to 90 degrees would be 45 degrees but I think that would be too much).

Last edited by SoundsFamiliar; 09-17-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Reply Reply