It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
(male)

Freakin0ut HB User
Exclamation Felt something jolt out of place in my throat!

Several days ago.. I was using ear-drops and had my head turned at a weird angle up and to the right. I stood up to check the time on the clock.. And while standing with my head in that strange position, I swallowed and felt something painfully jolt out of place in my throat! It felt really wrong and made me think "oh $;@&! Wth was THAT??!" It actually disturbed me so much that I almost went to the ER.. But my throat wasn't exactly in intense pain a few minutes later so I figured it might be ok. Anyway.. I couldnt quit worrying about it and actually stupidly turned my head in a bunch of weird ways swallowing during the next couple of days to try to figure out if something was wrong. Nothing strange or unusual seemed to be going on in the left side of my throat now matter how I was holding my head.. But I could feel something popping in and out of place in the right side of my throat when swallowing with my head turned certain ways. I've now been to two different ENT docs. One of them said "you may have dislocated something, and it will probably correct itself." The other simply said "I really don't think that you could injure yourself just by swallowing with your head turned at weird angles." Anyway.. I felt what I felt.. Still don't know if I should have gone to the ER or not because idk wth I would have said or if they could have done anything about it. I'm still freaking out about feeling something jolt out of place in my throat.. And a little concerned about the fact that sometimes something seems to pop out of place in the right side of my throat if I swallow with my head tilted. Does anyone have any idea wth might be going on?? Should I go see a third ENT doc, try to just quit worrying about it, or what?

The Following User Says Thank You to Freakin0ut For This Useful Post:
slingmisery (09-09-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
(male)

Freakin0ut HB User
Re: Felt something jolt out of place in my throat!

Just last night I stupidly turned my head to the right a few times and swallowed and felt something popping out of place in the middle and top of the right side of my throat. I still don't know if I should have gone to the ER a month ago or not. I have a follow-up with one of the ENTs on Wednesday, but really don't know if my throat's going to be alright until then. Does anyone have any idea if this might be something serious or not??

Old 09-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
(male)

Freakin0ut HB User

I had a CT scan done, but do not know if that will show much Tht is going on with tendons or ligaments. Should it?

Old 09-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
(male)

Freakin0ut HB User

I guess just out of sick curiosity.. I leaned my head over to my left shoulder last night and swallowed a few times to see if sething weird was going on.. And felt something in the top of the right side of my throat popping in and out of place when doing so. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing that? It doesn't make any sense to think that someone could injure themselves just by turning their in a strange way and swallowing.. But I'm still freaking out about it. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
(male)

Freakin0ut HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakin0ut View Post
I guess just out of sick curiosity.. I leaned my head over to my left shoulder last night and swallowed a few times to see if sething weird was going on.. And felt something in the top of the right side of my throat popping in and out of place when doing so. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing that? It doesn't make any sense to think that someone could injure themselves just by turning their head in a strange way and swallowing.. But I'm still freaking out about it. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
(male)

Freakin0ut HB User

Wow. Idk what the heck is wrong with me. I've made part of my throat pop out of place several times since getting the ct scan. Of course the ENT didn't want to run more images. I felt a tendon snapduring the last time something popped in my throat and really don't know if it just snapped around or if I ruptured it. Should I go to the ER, to see another ENT, or what?

Old 09-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
(male)

Freakin0ut HB User

Does anyone have any idea if you could mess up your hyoid or larynx just by swallowing hard with your head turned sideways while standing?

Old 09-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
(male)

Freakin0ut HB User

Wonderful. Now whatever joint or ligament jolted out of place in my throat while I was using ear drops is jerking around in my throat sometimes when I simply swallow while looking down at my phone or reading papers. Should I go to the ER or what?

Old 09-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
(male)

Freakin0ut HB User

I can't believe that I screwed with it more after the CT scan. Now I don't know if I should try to have another one after feeling something painfully crack in the top of my throat. I had an MRI. Supposedly it looked fine, but I don't know if that would show any problems with bone or necessarily show what's going on with the joint by my hyoid and/or whatever is popping in and out of place. I might go see some laryngologists in a month, but I don't know if all this stuff is getting worse and worse every day or not! Should I go to the ER and see if they might be be able to help.. Go back to see the ENT and see if he might want to run another CT or what??? Anybody have any advice? I know these doctors are probably just thinking that its highly unlikely that someone could injure themselves just by swallowing with their hea in strange positions.. But my throat feels seriously messed up. Something's popping in the top of the right side of it sometimes when I swallow. Whatever joint or ligament was somehow dislocated a month ago is randomly jerking around every now and then. I keep smoking too much and thinking about nothing other than this crap. Help!

Old 10-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
(male)

Freakin0ut HB User

Wow. I don't know if I'm an accidental-masochist or what, but earlier tonight I was moving my Adam's apple side to side to see if it felt like there was something wrong with my larynx.. And it felt like it was popping in and out of place on each side! I hope that it was just my Adam's apple pushing against the cartilage next to it and making that pop, but really don't know. I then held each side of my throat where the cricoid (?) cartilage is with one hand, an moved my Adam's apple around some more with the other hand, and felt something crack! Was all of that probably just cartilage next to my Adam's apple moving around in strange ways or should I go to the ER to see if I accidentally injured my larynx??

Old 10-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
(male)

Freakin0ut HB User

*** is wrong with me. Had a ct scan. Accidentally hurt my throat more. Had an MRI and a barium swallow. Accidentally hurt my throat in other ways. Had ANOTher Ct.. Then Another MRi.. Stupidly been rubbing the spots that might have torn muscle/tendon. I'm the dumbest person I know.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #12
(male)

Wango64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakin0ut View Post
Several days ago.. I was using ear-drops and had my head turned at a weird angle up and to the right. I stood up to check the time on the clock.. And while standing with my head in that strange position, I swallowed and felt something painfully jolt out of place in my throat! It felt really wrong and made me think "oh $;@&! Wth was THAT??!" It actually disturbed me so much that I almost went to the ER.. But my throat wasn't exactly in intense pain a few minutes later so I figured it might be ok. Anyway.. I couldnt quit worrying about it and actually stupidly turned my head in a bunch of weird ways swallowing during the next couple of days to try to figure out if something was wrong. Nothing strange or unusual seemed to be going on in the left side of my throat now matter how I was holding my head.. But I could feel something popping in and out of place in the right side of my throat when swallowing with my head turned certain ways. I've now been to two different ENT docs. One of them said "you may have dislocated something, and it will probably correct itself." The other simply said "I really don't think that you could injure yourself just by swallowing with your head turned at weird angles." Anyway.. I felt what I felt.. Still don't know if I should have gone to the ER or not because idk wth I would have said or if they could have done anything about it. I'm still freaking out about feeling something jolt out of place in my throat.. And a little concerned about the fact that sometimes something seems to pop out of place in the right side of my throat if I swallow with my head tilted. Does anyone have any idea wth might be going on?? Should I go see a third ENT doc, try to just quit worrying about it, or what?
Have you resolved this issue? I have a similar experience with sudden sharp pain when swallowing with my head tilted back and turned - felt like swallowing a corn chip sideways. Have had a sensation in that area since (over 1 year).

Reply Reply