It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #1
(male)

Moberan HB User
Back of the throat Issue? (Pain while swallowing)

Hi, Healthboards.com users!

I'm your average run of the mill college student and around three days ago I started feeling pain when I swallow. It's been a giant pain trying to eat and drink and I have tried sticking my finger back there to poke at it (Yes, I know it's a bad idea.) It feels a little swollen but it may also feel like a canker sore, I can't really tell due to my gag-reflex.

The pain seems to be in the back of my mouth, where the tongue meets the throat on the left side, or at least Somewhere in that area.

I noticed it started the day after I tried a buddy's Starburst Unwrapped Mini's, so I'm assuming that is what caused it.

I'm looking to avoid going to the Doctor as long as I can, so I'm asking for some home-remedies or pain relievers. I was doing some research and it all says that it goes away naturally and to gargle salt water to help, so that's on the agenda tomorrow. Thank you!

Old 09-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Back of the throat Issue? (Pain while swallowing)

Have you not taken a look at it? Use a flashlight and look in a mirror. At least you'll KNOW what you see rather than feel.

If you had an allergy, it would have gone by now, so I think it's something you've picked up via hand to mouth...meaning a virus or bacterial infection possibly.

It could be strep, so just remember that it can be contagious. Salt rinses are a good idea as are taking antibacterial lozenges. If it doesn't go away in another day or so, do get it swabbed. You may need antibiotics.

Once this is over, change your toothbrush as well....and keep your fingers out of your mouth ;-)
q

Last edited by quincy; 09-12-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply