It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
(female)

jujumcm HB Userjujumcm HB User
glue ear in an adult?

Hi Ill give some back ground first.
i had a noise in my ear since december last. its a hum not a ringing. i could hear it at night especially.
i went to the doctors and she saw fluid in my ear and said thats its a childhood illness called glue ear. she referred me to a specailsit after it continued for a few months without clearing.
the specailist saw me quiclky enough and i was sent for xrays and hearing tests. then the xray got lost so he sent me for an mri.
then the radiologist called and said they would like to do it again this time with contrast.
has any of yous any idea why they would want to repeat the MRI or any idea what they could be looking for?
Or any idea whats wrong with me through personal experience?
I have no clue.
ju

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
(female)

Marie 67 HB User
Re: glue ear in an adult?

I just had a myringotomy after having an ear infection two months ago. The fluid would not drain. This is eustachian tube dysfunction. Children have this condition more than adults because their eustachian tube is in a horizontal position instead of a vertical. Many adults have eustachian tube dysfunction. The tube doesn't open enough to let the fluid drain out. I think the fluid usually develops from infection.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marie 67 For This Useful Post:
jujumcm (09-17-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
(female)

thanks marie,
so do you think the 2nd MRI with contrast would show this dysfunction more clearly?
ju

Old 09-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

I hit a wrong button and it separated my post. Have you had a decrease in hearing ability? I've learned that you cannot always trust the first doctor that you go to. You need to get that fluid out of your ear. The glue ear is thick fluid that if left in there hardens and deafness is the result. It damages the bones in the middle ear. I'll tell you my story so that you can let me know what you think. It started with a sinus infection. I could feel drainage coming down my throat making it scratchy and inflammed. Went to clinic. Was given Augmentin and told to take it for 10 days. On the 8th day my left ear closed up on me. Went back to clinic and was told that I have an ear infection. This is not uncommon after an upper respiratory infection. I wasn't concerned too much at the time and thought that the medicine would take care of it. They gave me Omnicef which is suppose to be good for an ear infection. Took that for 10 days. Had no improvement. Went back to clinic. They told me that I had otitis media with effusion. Gave me more Omnicef but told me that it probably wouldn't work and referred me to an ent. Well the Omnicef didn't work. Got in to see an ent finally more that a week later. She says, I can see that you have had an ear infection and tells me to use flonase for a month and use it longer if I have to. My ear is really aggravating me but I wait and follow instructions. A month goes by and still the same, no improvement. I go back to the ent and explain this. She gives me a test where I go in a booth and put this earplug like thing in my ear canal. She looks at the test and says, you don't have any fluid in your ear. I don't agree because I'm still feeling the same since I had the infection but I don't argue or disagree with her. She says these things take time. She also says, "Keep it in perspective, you don't have a tumor and your not deaf". When she said that I thought she was making light of my concerns and my complaint that something was wrong was being ignored. I left and said that I would never go back. I went back to the clinic where I first had gone and they looked at my ear again and said that they saw bubbles under my eardrum. That is an indication of fluid. I had to wait over another week (which I shouldn't have) and got in to see another ent. He tries to put me off for another 10 days! Tells me to take this other steroid nose spray and to take the antibiotics. I didn't agree since I had already done this same thing for 7 weeks and it didn't work. I leave disappointed. Meanwhile I'm having alot of pressure in my ear and I'm feeling off balance. I just can't stand it any longer and make an emergency call to him Saturday morning. He tells me to come into the office on Monday, no need for an appointment. I get there first thing when they open. He does the myringotomy. I did have fluid present but it wasn't glue ear. I'm hoping I can make a full recovery but I'm terrified and scared to death that the fluid will return since I have heard of this happening. That other doctor would have let me go on suffering. I was going crazy. After about a month I was starting to have psychological problems from it. I was actually wishing for death if it wasn't going to go away so that I could get some relief. I've never had mental issues in my life and have never been suicidal. I wasn't suicidal, but I was so tortured from this fluid that if it wasn't going to go away that I would rather be dead. I'm just absolutely terrified that the fluid will come back in a few days because my eustachian tube isn't functioning properly. This has psychologically scarred me just from the shear length of time that I have suffered. I think that when I went to the first ent that I should have been given the option of having my ear drained at that point. If that would have happened, it would have saved me an immense amount of suffering. A tube would have been a welcome relief. He didn't put a tube in my ear for drainage so that concerns me as well. I'm going to keep praying to God that he will heal me and allow me to make a full recovery from this. This certainly has taught me humility and empathy for others since this has happened to me. If I recover, I'm going to thank God everyday for my ears working properly. I pray that this will happen. I don't attend any church and I'm not overly religious or anything so by my saying this, that should be some kind of indication of how much I have been suffering. I don't know how your feeling about your condition but I will say a prayer for you that you get the help that you need and that you make a full recovery.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

If you know that the fluid is there I don't understand what good another mri will do. It simply needs to be removed. Are you here in the states? Where are you?

Old 09-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

I'm sorry I didn't look at your location. I just saw that your in Ireland. When I was a child I got the chickenpox. A short time after that I had fluid behind both my ears. I was 10. I couldn't hear very well and was scared. The doctors at the Air Force Base put tubes in my ears and it solved the issue. The reason that I tell you this also is that since this has happened to me I have been doing alot of reading about otitis media with effusion and other ear disorders. I came across something from the UK that said there recommendation for glue ear or fluid build up was to give children hearing aids. That makes me so angry. The article says that they responded well. Probably smaller children who don't realize what is going on. Why give a child a hearing aid when they can simply drain the fluid and put tubes in and save that childs hearing. I thought to myself that I probably would have been deaf if the doctors her would have followed that advice 35 plus years ago. Even that damn ent that I saw first didn't want to do anything and even said that there was nothing she could do. I also read an article online that antibiotics are becoming increasingly ineffective for ear infections. There seeing more and more resistance from the bacteria. They are recommending to take a sample of the fluid inside the ear. Yes it is painful. But that will tell what kind of antibiotic would be effective for an infection. I know the two that were suppose to be so great didn't do anything for me.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
(female)

hi marie,
the consultant said he needed to find the cause of the fluid so thats why i had an mri. i had another mri because the 1st wasnt clear enough or so they said today. im on medications that mess with the immune system for another disease and this problem in my ears had only come up since starting that. perhaps they think it related? who knows. my gp said the standard protocol is to insert grommits in the ear drum to relieve pressure.
ju

Old 09-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

Dear Jujumcm,
I think the grommets or tubes is about all they can do for the fluid accumulation. Have you gotten your mri results yet? How is your hearing? Do you feel like you hear ok? Had you been sick with a cold or flu right before your ear started troubling you? That's how my fluid accumulation problem began. If the medication your taking is the kind of drug that causes water retention as a side effect, I seems logical that it could be causing this problem. Have you addressed that concern with your gp yet? Are youusing considering getting the grommets? Would you need them in both ears or just in one? I've read alot of bad things about them on these boards. I might be facing that decision myself. I read that a myringotomy is only successful 50% of the time, and the fluid returns. You could always take a chance and go this route and just have it drained. My ent told me that if you need grommets, the trick is getting one that will properly drain the ear but also using the smallest one needed so your hearing is affected the least. Let me know how it goes and what you decide to do. I wish you the best of luck. Take care. Marie

Old 09-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

Dear Jujumcm,
I think the grommets or tubes is about all they can do for the fluid accumulation. Have you gotten your mri results yet? How is your hearing? Do you feel like you hear ok? Had you been sick with a cold or flu right before your ear started troubling you? That's how my fluid accumulation problem began. If the medication your taking is the kind of drug that causes water retention as a side effect, I seems logical that it could be causing this problem. Have you addressed that concern with your gp yet? Are youusing considering getting the grommets? Would you need them in both ears or just in one? I've read alot of bad things about them on these boards. I might be facing that decision myself. I read that a myringotomy is only successful 50% of the time, and the fluid returns. You could always take a chance and go this route and just have it drained. My ent told me that if you need grommets, the trick is getting one that will properly drain the ear but also using the smallest one needed so your hearing is affected the least. Let me know how it goes and what you decide to do. I wish you the best of luck. Take care. Marie

Reply Reply