It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
(male)

Kenshin13 HB User
Deviated septum, throat fatigue

Hi everyone, first time I've shared my troubles I've had. But I'm currently referred to the ENT at the minute, which after years and years of prescriptions, I've finally be diagnosed with a deviated septum.

Over the years I've had constant colds, sinus congestion etc.

My biggest issue is I've had an issue with my throat for as long as I can remember, where my voice feels weak, breathy, airy etc. My neck muscles get tight and feels like I have to strain to project a voice, which causes more discomfort. I get sort of out of breath when I do it too. I've tried to look for patterns to see if I can identify what could be causing it. So far I've noticed it occurs more so if I'm currently congested or I'm getting some sort of sinus infection, because due to a deviated septum and many allergies, apparently I constantly reinfect easily.

Another thing I've noticed is if I drink alcohol, my nose runs more and I get more post nasal drip, which is a lot of throat clearing and sneezing. But the next morning after drinking, sometimes I feel more confident because my voice almost feels relaxed, the neck muscles everything. And I produce a deeper and more stronger voice.

It really gets to me and makes me depressed because I'm too focused on how my voice sounds over what I'm saying, and I can just tell that it's not a nice sounding voice, it sounds forced, strained and just weak.

Hopefully some of you that read this can relate to me and enlighten me on my troubles

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from someone.

PS I'm a 21 year old male.

Last edited by Kenshin13; 09-17-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Deviated septum, throat fatigue

Hi,

I can relate to you as I also have a deviated septum. I also constantly have a hoarse or husky voice and sometimes it's hard to speak at all.
I believe this is caused through PND and if your nose is blocked then the mucus goes down your throat instead (causing irritation).
My ENT Dr prescribed "Sudafed", I take it in liquid form and it does help. Do you have Allergys and have you tried Antihistamines?...
I believe you can have surgery for DS but someone told me it didn't help them much at all.
Do you find yourself very blocked up in your nose during the night?...

Solofelix.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
(male)

Kenshin13 HB User

Hey Solofelix,

I believe my voice goes the opposite, like really weak and airy, whispy. My throat muscles get tight and I can't produce a strong voice. I've found a sort of pattern that when I'm not heavily congested, I can use my diaphragm, but when I'm congested which is 99.9% of the time. I kinda try and force my voice, or stronger projection from my upper body or throat. Then it becomes really fatigued and worse.

In answer to your question, I do have allergies, unfortunately Pets, Dust and I believe Hay Fever. As you can imagine, having a deviated septum too means that I constantly get reinfected too. I usually use Neil Med Sinus Rinse combined with Allergy tablets to try keep that at bay. But I'm scheduled to have Septoplasty in December so I'm hoping this provides me with better drainage and relief overall.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-04-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
(male)

Kenshin13 HB User

Sorry for bumping, I just want to see if anyone out there has experienced this and would like to share their experiences with it.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #5
(male)

Kenshin13 HB User

as I mentioned before, I've noticed a day after drinking, my throat just feels so relaxed, that being said, I can talk with a deeper and more powerful voice. I don't know if it's something to do with my breathing or something I'm doing that's causing my throat muscles to work overtime.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User

Hi Kenshin13,

I can relate so much to what you wrote. I had a "baby" voice as I call it, for years, which is fine as a child, but not a woman in her 30's, so I can relate. My voice didn't change until I was in my 40's and then it was due to learning how to sing...not that I can entertain. LOL
I did it through online voice lessons.

I think that drinking so you can have a relaxed tone is dangerous at best! and unsatisfying at least. As you said, it doesn't last. But I can see why your voice bothers you, of course it does. The throat must be relaxed to make a pleasing and attractive tone.

Did you realize we can acquire voice control? Vocal cords really can be trained. Sure you have tension going on, and after a drunk your voice is relaxed and can resonate. This seems to me that you may have a septum issue but that you also have an anxiety problem that keeps your voice tight and strained.

Regardless which came first, the chicken or the egg so to speak, we can get voice lessons and master our voice. It doesn't mean you need to be a singer, but people that want to sing and make attractive sounds at some time in their lives learn voice mastery. I see no reason you cannot focus on this rather than spending your money on expensive alcohol...you know? the alcohol is only covering up your lack of voice mastery making you continue to have low self-confidence. Not fixing it. Does anyone find a drunken hangover attractive regardless the tone of voice? But think about this...what if you focus on voice mastery with a trainer, and you develop self control and an attractive sounding voice while sober? Wouldn't you be ahead?

I wish I knew of this opportunity when younger to focus on what could be done rather than to spend so much of my life feeling insecure (I am now 64).
LOL, I will never be a singer. But that wasn't my goal.

Please, please, please, consider that you are worth it, and invest in yourself with some voice lessons. Be up front with why you want training, and interview voice teachers until you find someone that understands what you want to achieve and is willing to help you with your goals.

Let me know how you are doing and what works for you! All the best,

Last edited by jillian4; 01-01-2014 at 07:49 AM.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, voice lessons will help you learn to speak properly and use your diaphragm not just your vocal chords.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
(male)

Kenshin13 HB User

Thanks for your reply Jillian. What you're saying makes perfect sense and funnily enough you're spot on the money.

I do suffer with low self esteem, anxiety and low self confidence. It's something I'm working on right now. But what you're saying does sound right and I think will seek Vocal therapy of some sort this year. I will keep you updated on how that goes. At first I thought it could of been something to do with my post nasal drip, irritating my throat.

So when you speak should everything be relaxed? as in there should be no tensing of the throat muscles to produce a stronger tone, it should all come from the diaphragm?

Old 01-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
(male)

Spyder96 HB User

It seems like it's just coming from from your Vocal Cords. When you don't drink, do you still have Post Nasal Drip? Because that is Most Likely the Culprit.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshin13 View Post
Thanks for your reply Jillian. What you're saying makes perfect sense and funnily enough you're spot on the money.

I do suffer with low self esteem, anxiety and low self confidence. It's something I'm working on right now. But what you're saying does sound right and I think will seek Vocal therapy of some sort this year. I will keep you updated on how that goes. At first I thought it could of been something to do with my post nasal drip, irritating my throat.

So when you speak should everything be relaxed? as in there should be no tensing of the throat muscles to produce a stronger tone, it should all come from the diaphragm?
Hi Kenshin,

I do think the body needs to be relaxed when we speak. The voice doesn't require being forced. The diaphragm should be doing that work, and if we have been tightening up from anxiousness and stress we are not allowing that to happen. Speaking through the diaphragm can feel unnatural, and we may need to learn how to allow the diaphragm to do it's job.

Post nasal drip doesn't help the voice any, and allergies don't help either. There are natural means of dealing with and even overcoming allergies that work for a lot of people. You may want to research that avenue as well. We can desensitize the body's reaction to substances sometimes, and also avoid allergenics. I get an allergic reaction to gluten I only recently realized. When I avoid it I don't get that nasal drip issue.

I am constantly amazed how much anxiousness affects health. Our mental state does matter. I think taking supplements like vitamin C, B complex and a low doses of zinc for a few days boosts the immune system. Best of all, having hope that you can make changes that will help you speak easily and naturally will help your immune system too. I can see that you have been under a big burden of stress over this, but I think you now are getting some hope.

Last edited by jillian4; 01-01-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #11
(male)

Kenshin13 HB User
Re: Voice weakness, strained

Yeaah I do have post nasal drip and constantly clear my throat. Problem is, I think throat clearing isn't helping the matter and causes my throat to get tired.

I did just have Septoplasty done which has improved my breathing through my nose a bit more, so hoping a few weeks down the line I will see MORE improvements. More so with the post nasal drip issue.

Thanks for your reply!

Last edited by Administrator; 02-04-2014 at 01:00 PM.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
(male)

Spyder96 HB User

Your welcome. Post Nasal Drip can have the ability to irritate the Vocal Cords, making it more difficult to project your voice. If more precise, the condition is called Laryngitis. It's either Acute or Chronic. Sure, what's the name of your other thread?

Old 01-02-2014, 03:30 AM   #13
(male)

Kenshin13 HB User

I thought it had a lot to do with it, just feels like the vocal chords get masked and I have to sort of clear my throat to remove it. But it quickly builds back up.
I'm hoping my septoplasty and turbinate reduction will solve this and cut my sinus infections down. It's been about 3 to 4 weeks so far so, I heard it can take up to 4 months before you notice a real benefit.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-04-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:37 AM   #14
(male)

Kenshin13 HB User

Yeah I think I've got into a bad habbit with the way I talk, using my upper part to speak like my throat, and tightening of the jaw so I can try speak clearer. As I was saying this only results in throat fatigue and tight muscles all around my neck and jaw. I do have Dust, Cat and Dog allergies. In which I have ALL of these in the household I live in :/ I don't get a huge reaction, in fact when I had an allergy test, it was a surprise to me then. Maybe it's doing more harm then I realise.

I'm hoping my Septoplasty and Turbinate reduction will allow me to handle my allergies better. I've just started taking B complex which has loads of extras like VItamin C, so I'll keep that up and see how I get on with that

Thanks Jillian I hope I can get a resolution to this problem as soon as possible!

Old 01-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
(male)

Kenshin13 HB User

I would also like to add that I've noticed a pattern also. I've found it's a muscle under my chin, close to my glands that feel tight, like it's making my throat narrow. As soon as this pressure stops and feels relaxed, my voice doesn't feel as tired, strained or squeezed.

I've read that lymph nodes swell if you have infection, however I don't think it's that, it must be something I'm doing. It just feels like a muscle of some sort. May even make an appointment to see the doctor about it.

Reply Reply