It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
(male)

icedtea HB User
Random nose bleed

Hello Everyone!

I had a cold that started a week ago today and I started feeling better this past Sunday. I noticed while I had the cold that sometimes the discharge from my nose would have a little bit of blood in it. I did not think anything of it because the weather is getting colder here (Maryland) and I also had a cold at the same time. I know going from the cool air to warm heated air can dry out your nose. While I had my cold I took Dayquil, Robitussin, Flonase, and the Equate version of Claritin. I know nasal decongestants can cause dryness too.

Sitting at work today my nose started to randomly bleed. It was not terrible and stopped relatively quickly. I do not think it is sinusitis because I have no pressure at all, my nose is open, I can smell just fine, no fever (never had one), and over all feel great. Since it bled earlier now when I blow my nose there is still blood at times and when I pull the discharge in and spit it out there is blood. It scares me a little but I figure it is because it just bled today and I am sure I keep opening them vessels up.

Any ideas? Should I be concerned?

Thank you

Old 09-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Random nose bleed

It's more the antihistamine that would cause dryness rather than the decongestant.

Flonase as well can cause dryness in the nasal passages.

You could try cutting back on the antihistamine and the Robitussin if it's of the DM variety...just use the plain expectorant instead.

Try steaming yourself, take in more fluids and possibly use a nasal moisturiser such as Nasogel by NeilMed as well as the NeilMed sinus cleansing system instead of the antihistamines.

Bleeding is normal after a cold. It attacks the nasal passages causing inflammation and extreme sensitivity to air passing over them.

Feel better soon,
q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
(male)

icedtea HB User
Re: Random nose bleed

Thank you so much!!

I ended up going to my doctor because it bled more. She was not concerned and said it was more than likely from the medicines. She told me to try saline spray. I will also check out the remedies you recommended too.

Thank you again

Reply Reply

Tags
nose bleed