It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2004, 09:47 AM   #1
Inactive

byrdleg HB User
Eating disorder and Welbutrin?????

HELLO ALL!
I am looking for anyone who had or had an eating disorder and took Welbutrin. I struggle with panic, and bulimia. My doctor has me on Zoloft and Clonopin and now wants to add some Welbutrin to help more in calming the panic. All the warrnings state to nate take if you have or have had an eating disorder. SHe said it is no big deal!!! Can anyone give me any insite. Oh by the way my eating disorder was totally gone for years. Then I went on Celexa and when that quit working I switched to Zoloft and the bulimia came back!??? Any corelation?

THANKS!
BYRDLEG

Old 03-31-2004, 01:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User
Smile Re: Eating disorder and Welbutrin?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdleg
HELLO ALL!
I am looking for anyone who had or had an eating disorder and took Welbutrin. I struggle with panic, and bulimia. My doctor has me on Zoloft and Clonopin and now wants to add some Welbutrin to help more in calming the panic. All the warrnings state to nate take if you have or have had an eating disorder. SHe said it is no big deal!!! Can anyone give me any insite. Oh by the way my eating disorder was totally gone for years. Then I went on Celexa and when that quit working I switched to Zoloft and the bulimia came back!??? Any corelation?

THANKS!
BYRDLEG

Hi -

I just went off Wellbutrin a couple months ago. I'm a compulsive overeater (sigh) and it didn't help me a bit in suppressing desire for food. Also, it did nothing for anxiety, and I wear it made my depression worse. I am now on Pamelor at 75mgs (started at 25mg and worked up to 75) and I think I am starting to finally feel better...and it's got an added bonus of helping to control my appetite! The major cravings are gone. YEA!!!! I'm also on Ativan, too, for anxiety but I just started that, so too early to tell. Wellbutrin is to ,supposedly, help curb appetite. Did nothing for me...at all. Just thought I'd let you know my experience, realizing, of course, that everyone is different.

Char

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2004, 10:08 PM   #3

lynn45 HB User
Re: Eating disorder and Welbutrin?????

byrdleg, I don't know why I am in this section of the healthboards...phyc. mentioned something about an eating disorder so I wanted to see if there were any similarities. Still don't think so myself!

ANYWAY, I am taking wellbutrin and I don't have cravings for anything, I don't want to smoke (smoked off and on for 10 years), I can't even decide what I am going to eat becuase I really am not craving anything.

HOWEVER, he just added Lexapro, I don't know if it is just a stage I am going through getting used to this new medication...but I have been eating a lot more. Hopefully this will wear off soon!!!!!

To make a long story short, I think different meds have different effects on different people, otherwise we would all take the same meds. AND different meds mixed with other meds have different effects.

Wellbutrin is know for craving ceasation.
Hope this was a bit helpful.

Old 04-02-2004, 06:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

I was on Wellbutrin myself for almost a year untill I finally realized it wasn't helping. Personally, it did nothing for restricting my cravings.

But, before I quit the wellbutrin my dr. added Lexapro...after the Lexapro started kicking in...I noticed I was always hungry and I just ate and ate. The Lexapro also screwed up my sleep schedule. I had my dr. take me off both.

But, this is just my experience. Everyone reacts differently

Old 04-02-2004, 11:46 AM   #5
Inactive

byrdleg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleone314
I was on Wellbutrin myself for almost a year untill I finally realized it wasn't helping. Personally, it did nothing for restricting my cravings.

But, before I quit the wellbutrin my dr. added Lexapro...after the Lexapro started kicking in...I noticed I was always hungry and I just ate and ate. The Lexapro also screwed up my sleep schedule. I had my dr. take me off both.

But, this is just my experience. Everyone reacts differently
Hello LittleOne,
Do you have an eating disorder? Is that why you were put on Welbutrin? If so what type do you have?
THANKS!

Old 04-02-2004, 01:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

Hi!

I was put on Wellbutrin for two reasons. Depression and an eating disorder (bullimia). The dr. felt it would stop my binging and purging episodes... Like I said before, it really didn't do anything except make me eat even more...leading to more binging and purging...leading to more depression. My purging didn't stop untill I got pregnant and I was able to quit during. But, shortly after I delivered I was right back to my old habits. Not many people know because I don't talk about it and I hide my feelings really well.

Then a few months later I was put on Lexapro combined with the Wellbutrin because my dr. said he felt I had gained a little too much weight and that the Lexapro would help suppress my apetite. Might I say he was a QUACK????? I don't see him anymore and right now I'm not on any meds. but I have noticed my E.D. has come back with a vengenace.

Old 04-02-2004, 01:33 PM   #7
Inactive

byrdleg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleone314
Hi!

I was put on Wellbutrin for two reasons. Depression and an eating disorder (bullimia). The dr. felt it would stop my binging and purging episodes... Like I said before, it really didn't do anything except make me eat even more...leading to more binging and purging...leading to more depression. My purging didn't stop untill I got pregnant and I was able to quit during. But, shortly after I delivered I was right back to my old habits. Not many people know because I don't talk about it and I hide my feelings really well.

Then a few months later I was put on Lexapro combined with the Wellbutrin because my dr. said he felt I had gained a little too much weight and that the Lexapro would help suppress my apetite. Might I say he was a QUACK????? I don't see him anymore and right now I'm not on any meds. but I have noticed my E.D. has come back with a vengenace.
I am so sorry to hear it has come back. It is such an awful thing to deal with. Especially when you have children. How old are you? I am 37 and mine was totally gone for the last 12 plus years. I went off Celexa after being on it for 4 years and BOOM it is back, I did try taking Celexa again and it stopped the eating disorder. WEIRD! I was told you are at a really high rish for seizures if you take Welbutrin while suffering from a E.D. I need it more for anxiety and panic, but ofcourse they go hand and hand with an E.D. I wish you the best of luck and am here for support or a shoulder when you need one!
TAKE CARE!!!
BYRDLEG

Old 04-05-2004, 07:52 PM   #8
(female)

MarlaKate HB User

I was bulimic for 4 years. A therapist helped me to see that food was self medicating my depression. For a few months recently, I got to where I was only purging 3 times a week at most. I talked to my doctor, and after two weeks with only 2 purging episodes he agreed to put me on Wellbutrin as long as I understood that the purging episodes may trigger seizures. The Wellbutrin curbs my cravings, lifts my mood, and scares me to think of causing myself to have a seizure. These three elements add up to me being bulimia-free for 29 days straight..... i am SO proud of me and SO thankful for this medication.

It has been an amazing crutch to get me to stop that habit, find alternative coping strategies, normalize my blood sugar and weight, and get on with my life. I could not be any happier with it.

Old 04-05-2004, 09:48 PM   #9
Veteran

Dance4jc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlaKate
It has been an amazing crutch to get me to stop that habit, find alternative coping strategies, normalize my blood sugar and weight, and get on with my life. I could not be any happier with it.

Congratulations MarlaKate!
You are doing a wonderful thing for yourself. Wishing you much love and laughter in your life. Take it one day at a time and 29 days will soon turn into 290!!

Old 04-06-2004, 04:49 AM   #10
Inactive

byrdleg HB User

That is Amazing MarlaKate! Congratulations! You will be in my prayers that your E.D. day are behind you and life will be exhilerating for you!

What dosage are you on? SR or SL? Did you have any side effects when starting it? I am curious as I am so scared of a seizure. I am on 1/4 of a 150XL(yes I cut them Doctors Orders) and have been sleeping very lightly and a few muscle spasms. ALso just plain feeling wierd but it has only been 4 days. I also have panic and anxiety and I really hope this drug works for me. I do have to say as for cravings and E.D. issues, I have NONE as I am not hungry or having any cravings. Maybe this is a drug more for people with E.D.???

If you need to chat I am here!
Keep up the AWESOME work!
BYRDLEG

Last edited by byrdleg; 04-06-2004 at 04:50 AM.

Closed Thread