It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2004, 04:46 PM   #1

AznDesire HB User
Question Why am I always hungry??

Hi, I don't understand what's wrong with my body. I constantly have to eat every hour. In the morning, I would eat three bowls of cereal with milk, a fruit (i.e. apple, pear, orange, or a banana), yogurt, and some juice. Then an hour later, I'm hungry again. For snack time, I would eat some more yogurt, 2-3 different fruits, drink either some more milk or orange juice. It's like this every hour until finally at noon I would eat a sandwich (i.e turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomatoes and whole wheat bread) or some rice with chicken and vegetables--or whatever is available; on the side, more yogurt and fruits with milk or juice as a drink. Then at 5 PM, I would eat dinner and eat more fruits and yogurt with milk or orange juice. Every hour, I get hungry and eat fruits or yogurt and drink more juice. Some times I would eat so much that my stomach would hurt but my mind tells me i'm still hungry. I don't understand what's wrong with me.

I'm an 18 year old female (turning 19), am 5'2 and weigh 110 lbs. I stretch every morning and do a bit of exercise (i.e. jumping jacks, crunches, etc.) for half an hour to an hour. I work out every weekend for 1-2 hours consisting of running on the treadmill for 30 mins and do strength training exercises for my legs, and work with free weights for my arm (I like having a toned body) and finish up with crunches.

Do I have something wrong with me neurologically such as low levels of serotonin (I don't drink or do any other type of drugs) or is it just because something is wrong with my diet. I eat more than five servings of fruits per day, and I get lots of protein from milk and yogurt as well as soy milk. I don't know what's wrong with me. No matter how much I eat, I'm still hungry. I get a lot of fiber, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins (from the juices I drink and foods I eat), omega fatty acids (from the flaxseed and codfish oil vitamins I take daily), and I definitely have more nutrients than my body needs, but still don't understand why I'm always hungry. Sorry if this post was so long but I'm just so frustrated because I waste so much money buying food. If I could save all the money I spend on food, I would have so much money saved. Please help. Thank you all very much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 06:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User
Re: Why am I always hungry??

I dont know where you live, and whether or not you get Cosmogirl in that area. A while ago, a reader wrote in for advice and her problem was very very similar to yours. First of all, if you exercise you do need to eat more than a "normal" person would, so eating a lot isnt a surprise-your hunger is though! You could try cutting back on exercise..but i dont think that would affect much (try it..you never know). Before you consider medical probs, I would suggest substituting some fruit and dairy snacks with breads and proteins (ie/ a sandwich, crackers and cheese, etc). They take longer to digest and that way you are fuller for longer. If you still are super hungry even when eating at least 60% breads and 20%-30% meats (of your daily intake), you may have a thyroid problem. Basically, you may have a super active metabolism that burns excessive energy. Other symptoms of this that I've heard of are things like a constant jittery feeling...like at night- are you nervous and worried almost always?

However..one thing you mentioned was that you eat till your stomach hurts but your mind tells you you're still hungry. If thats the case, you could have a compulsive over-eating disorder, or you eat for a psychological reason (ie/ for comfort..etc). If you have any reason to believe that you could use food for something other than food (ie/energy), then that could be your problem.I highly doubt the disorder though, because you arent at ALL overweight for your height. Talk to a doctor about it more (or a nutritionist/therapist). Also, try googling "fast metabolism problem" and see what comes up and if any symptoms apply to you. But after hearing what you eat for your meals and snacks, you really shouldnt be hungry that often. Hope this helps!

Old 05-01-2004, 11:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznDesire
Hi, I don't understand what's wrong with my body. I constantly have to eat every hour. In the morning, I would eat three bowls of cereal with milk, a fruit (i.e. apple, pear, orange, or a banana), yogurt, and some juice. Then an hour later, I'm hungry again. For snack time, I would eat some more yogurt, 2-3 different fruits, drink either some more milk or orange juice. It's like this every hour until finally at noon I would eat a sandwich (i.e turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomatoes and whole wheat bread) or some rice with chicken and vegetables--or whatever is available; on the side, more yogurt and fruits with milk or juice as a drink. Then at 5 PM, I would eat dinner and eat more fruits and yogurt with milk or orange juice. Every hour, I get hungry and eat fruits or yogurt and drink more juice. Some times I would eat so much that my stomach would hurt but my mind tells me i'm still hungry. I don't understand what's wrong with me.

I'm an 18 year old female (turning 19), am 5'2 and weigh 110 lbs. I stretch every morning and do a bit of exercise (i.e. jumping jacks, crunches, etc.) for half an hour to an hour. I work out every weekend for 1-2 hours consisting of running on the treadmill for 30 mins and do strength training exercises for my legs, and work with free weights for my arm (I like having a toned body) and finish up with crunches.

Do I have something wrong with me neurologically such as low levels of serotonin (I don't drink or do any other type of drugs) or is it just because something is wrong with my diet. I eat more than five servings of fruits per day, and I get lots of protein from milk and yogurt as well as soy milk. I don't know what's wrong with me. No matter how much I eat, I'm still hungry. I get a lot of fiber, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins (from the juices I drink and foods I eat), omega fatty acids (from the flaxseed and codfish oil vitamins I take daily), and I definitely have more nutrients than my body needs, but still don't understand why I'm always hungry. Sorry if this post was so long but I'm just so frustrated because I waste so much money buying food. If I could save all the money I spend on food, I would have so much money saved. Please help. Thank you all very much.

Hi!

I think it would be an excellent idea to see a Dr. I just recently read something about this - there's some sort of...disorder?? wherein the brain doesn't get the message that the stomach is full. Put it to the Dr just like that and I know he'll know what it's called. And I'm sorry, I don't remember what they do for it. Based on all you're eating, being hungry after an hour doesn't make sense. But I also agree that you need more protein, especially because of all the exercising you do. Carbs are definitely more easily and quickly digested Good luck to you!

Char

Old 05-03-2004, 10:03 AM   #4
(female)

sugar_babygirli HB User

I can guarantee it's because you are eating practically all carbs and not enough fats. Try meausuring out 2 TB's of peanut butter at breakfast (about the size of a golf-ball and see if that helps. Or you can have a huge handful of nuts.

For lunch try having a bowl of ice cream (such as ben & jerry's chubby hubby. lol).

I'm not saying to eat this way all the time, but at least try it a few days and see if it doesn't make you more satisfied.

Remember when you eat alot of simple carbs (such as fruits and juices), your bloodstream absorbs it quickly which makes you feel hungry (if not hungrier than before!) quickly.

Old 05-12-2004, 02:52 PM   #5

meli95 HB User

I understand what you are going through. I am a snacker and i am always eating something every two hours but i never really eat like a real full meal. A real full meal to me is like two bowls of cereal or like a sandwich and an apple. I would snack on yogurt and pretzels and rice cake. I am not overweight or anything. I try and exercise at least three times a week. Like yourself, I always find myself hungry. About a year ago, it got to the point where i would feel so guilty about eating so much that i would binge and purge. I am currently trying to get over that. I think that you just have a fast metabolism. By any chance do you find that you have excessive perspiration because I do (like my hands, feet, and underarms) and my doctor told me that it's because I have a fast metabolism and that's why I eat a lot. Anyways, it seems that you may have a disorder because it sounds like you over exercise (maybe to compensate for all the eating, i dunno). You should really see a nutritionist about it and see what they tell you.

Old 06-06-2004, 11:45 AM   #6
(female)

TallBecky HB User

AznDesire,
I'm not sure you have an eating disorder, but if you think there is a problem then see a doctor. The amount of food you described in your post is more than some people would eat in a day, but doesn't seem extrordinary to me. I may not be a good judge though because I tend to eat like a pig. You may have a fast metabolism. I do, and in college I got a little bothered by the fact that I seemed to need so much more food than any one else. I think you should try eating foods which will hold you longer - meats and fats. I know they are seen as evil, but some people do better with them than with carbohydrates.

Old 06-18-2004, 03:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

Hello,

have you had this for a long time?

I would say, just to be safe, go see a doctor in any case. Sometimes eating so much without weight gain can be a sign of an overactive thyroid gland or a blood sugar problem.

Kathrin

Closed Thread