It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2004, 12:09 AM   #1

lynx2 HB User
Anyone here overweight and bulimic?

I sometimes feel stupid when I visit this board and complain about having an eating disorder (bulimia) because I currently weigh almost 150 pounds. My weight has always gone up and down dramatically. My lowest has been about 110, but more often than not, I have always been overweight. I feel like an idiot when I read posts from people who talk about weighing 100 pounds (or less). Is it really an eating disorder if you are fat? It seems like all of the serious complications, such as cardiac arrest, occur in people who are anorexic or severely underweight (not overweight). When I think about getting help, I am afraid that people would laugh if a fat slob like me claimed to have an eating disorder. I think that I would have to get my weight down before I can seek any kind of help, because I would feel stupid seeking help with my current weight. I would really like to hear from some people that weigh as much as me and have eating disorders.

Old 06-16-2004, 06:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User
Re: Anyone here overweight and bulimic?

I don't weigh the amount you do, but Im recovering from an ED. Having an eating disorder really doesn't have a lot to do with your weight being very very low. Sure, this is one of the consequences, but think about the term "eating disorder". All it suggest is that the person has a problem with eating- nothing about weight. An eating disorder is a disorder of the mind- no matter what weight yu are, when you have these thoughts, you need help. In many bulimics (like you said you are) don't drop weight very rapidly like anorexics do (because even if you purge, the calories are already absorbed...), and therefore they can conceal their disease more effectively and for a longer amount of time. This doesnt help!!! Even if you are overweight, if you have ED-like thoughts, you need help. It's only a matter or time before it gets worse.

If you still don't feel comfortable going to an ED clinic, why not try talking to your doctor or a therapist- they'll listen to you and give their opinion (but be careful, in my experience, family doctors do NOT know how to go about dealing with this, and may just say you have "disordered eating, not an eating disorder", or "its just a phase") You know you need help, don't be afraid to ask for it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2004, 04:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx2
I sometimes feel stupid when I visit this board and complain about having an eating disorder (bulimia) because I currently weigh almost 150 pounds. My weight has always gone up and down dramatically. My lowest has been about 110, but more often than not, I have always been overweight. I feel like an idiot when I read posts from people who talk about weighing 100 pounds (or less). Is it really an eating disorder if you are fat? It seems like all of the serious complications, such as cardiac arrest, occur in people who are anorexic or severely underweight (not overweight). When I think about getting help, I am afraid that people would laugh if a fat slob like me claimed to have an eating disorder. I think that I would have to get my weight down before I can seek any kind of help, because I would feel stupid seeking help with my current weight. I would really like to hear from some people that weigh as much as me and have eating disorders.

Ohh, my dear, if ONLY I weighed what you do!!!!!! Yes, you can have an ed no matter what you weigh! You have an ed if you have issues with food. Period. I'm a compulsive overeater, but mainly at night. It's weird. But then, eds can be a bit weird. You have some issues with food, I take it? But unless you are 4 ft tall, 150 lbs does NOT make you a "fat slob". Depending on your height, you could be anywhere from thin, to a bit overweight! Thing is, weight is only really a number on a scale. How you feel and the way you think of food, are more at issue. I think that there are those who don't view obesity (such as MINE!!) and ed - when you think of ed, you think of anorexia, bulemia and b/p. We true fat people are considered MUCH differently, and that we should just use self-control. But they don't undertand that that's usually just not possible. If it were so easy, we wouldn't be fat!!! So, yes, you most certainly CAN have an ed and not look extremely thin. If you think you have some sort of an eating problem, no matter what the weight, then it would be definitely something to check into with a Dr. Hope this helps a bit. Meanwhile, PLEASE don't be so hard on yourself!!

Hugs
Char

Old 07-04-2004, 09:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ashlee HB User

Hi there,

There are a lot of people in the world that think that having an eating disorder means you have to be "underweight"

The be classed as anorexic, you have to be at least 20% under the recomended healthy weight for your age, height and sex. If you have SOME of the symptoms but not all, so instance you have some others but are still at a healthy weight or even overweight, you can be classed as ED NOS - the NOS stands for Not Otherwise Specified, meaning that you don't quite fit all the criteria for one particular eating disorder.

With bulimia, it's the same sort of thing. Bulimics don't HAVE to be underweight to be considered 'bulimic'. You can be of average weight, or even overweight. The reason for this is because bulimia is diagnosed by the "binge/purge", not how much you weigh.

I hope this helps some! Don't feel silly for posting here, whatever you weigh! You don't have to be deathly thin to overweight to have a problem! It's the emotional issues that matter, after all. That's what's causing these disorders in the first place.....

Old 07-07-2004, 10:49 PM   #5
Inactive

edwardthefirst HB User

Hi - great post I've been bulimic on and off for 10 yrs, im 26 and have been fluctuating from 120-175 .....Im 160 now having lost 15 but with so far to go (115 is my ideal weight for height) and ALL I CAN DO is stare at skinny pics....People just assume all overweight ppl are 'overeaters' but dont think any other type of ED is possible - its frustrating, and it actually allows us to hide more, b/c there arent the blatant clues..........

I remember going to visit my family and hiding my hands b/c the tops were bruised...........one of the saddest moments I had

Old 09-10-2004, 07:05 PM   #6

stac75 HB User

I am in the same boat as you are. I just weighed myself the other day and was devasted to find that I weighed 155 and I am 5'8". I have never weighed that much in my life and I have been bulemic for 14 years. I am so sick of throwing up everyday but I cannot stop and I don't know what to do either. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. There has to be a way we can fight this ugly disease

Old 09-14-2004, 12:43 AM   #7

tina riley HB User

my 18 yr old daghter has been suffering from anorexia and bulimia for many years and although the anorexia is no longer an immediate threat she is still bulimic very hard to control but you are not alone my prayers and thoughts are with you.take care

Old 09-20-2004, 10:58 AM   #8

kittylover29 HB User

I know exactly how you feel. Being somewhat overweight and bulimic is not odd. In fact, most people gain weight from b/p - it is almost impossible to not absorp some of the calories that you intake. Which should be the number one reason for me to NOT do it. But still, if I am alone, it's an impulse. Most of the time they will connect OCD with b/p. I am currently on Lexapro which is doing wonders for the anxiety - and they have me on trileptal for the b/p - it is somewhat working. I take 300 mgs twice a day - and I've seen a slight change. Nothing to do flips over. I told my dr it's the impulse of eating. Afterwards, I just literally beat myself up. My mood is completely shot - and my spirit is down. When I am near a large amount of food, I am never hungry usually. But it's the impulse of knowing I can eat that much and completey satisfy any hunger - and get rid of it.

I just wish I could get rid of it. I know how to lose weight the right way, I lost over 100 lbs on my own, diet and exercise. But its the fear of gaining it back that drives me to this stage.

Old 09-22-2004, 08:24 PM   #9

Aidansmaid HB User

Being that I just now was able to lose down to 150, I guess that comment about being a fat slob shook me a bit. First of all, I really don't like using words like that here (I'm sorry if no one backs me) because there are a lot of ladies who are over 150 and struggling. Calling 150 a fat slob could really damage someone who weighed, well, what I weighed in high school...220.

I agree that having an eating disorder is only defined by your scales in YOUR eyes, not the docs eyes. If the thought of food (to binge on, to purge, to stay away from, etc) is a huge weight on your mind, you have an eating disorder.

I went to a Psychologist and told her that I would eat a rather large dinner and then excuse myself, in which time I would purge. She said I didn't have an eating disorder, because I didn't binge and I didn't hide my food intake. Well, SEVERAL (4 or more) years later, here I am and I do very much hide my food intake.

Closed Thread